Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

KT67
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2021, 7:04 am

I think people make stuff up on Twitter to look like they're in that Yorkshireman sketch on Monty Python...

Guy on their said 'only thing anyone ever dresses their kids in is Primark except snobs'.

Nonsense.

When I grew up Primark wasn't a thing. But the charity shop and other cheap shops were mixed in with Adams, M&S, Next, Mothercare and stuff my family had made for me. And sometimes hand me downs even though I was an only child: we had a friend with an older kid who gave me them.

It's the same with 'Nobody shops at John Lewis it's too expensive' brigade.

Enough to make me feel like Carrie Antoinette lol.

Surely they are making it up for likes?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2021, 8:44 am

I got a copious amount of hand-me-downs from my older brother; I actually liked old clothes better than new clothes when I was a kid.

KT67
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2021, 9:55 am

I'm starting to wonder if places like this are the modern day equivalent of places like Woollies and the more local shops we had when I was a kid.

But yeah... there was a girl I rarely met but I had her clothes lol. To this day I remember her as the one who's clothes I had :lol:

It was great cos it was a big bag of clothes and I sorted out which ones I wanted and which ones I didn't.

Closest I got to actually shopping & picking my own stuff when I was tiny.

Primark has an awful reputation though and is very fast fashion. If people can't afford to spend a lot on important things like their kids' clothes, it's better to have hand me downs or go to charity shops.

I just in general have always hated the words 'everyone' or 'nobody'. Esp on the world wide web. It serves nobody to talk like that and it's clearly inaccurate.

Also 'children's clothes' covers a lot. Kids who are about 2 will tend to be growing fast, kids who are about 7 will probably have slowed down and only need new clothes about every 6 months. Babies might as well have all second hand stuff cos of how fast they normally grow.