Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2021, 6:31 pm

Hi everyone,

My friend has a new Samsung tablet (SM-T550) and finds that even the lowest setting for brightness is too bright.

They don't want to change the theme to a full dark mode (black screen etc)., and can't figure out how to do a blue light filter or night mode, or anything to dull the brightness a bit more than the standard background lighting adjustment.

I was wondering if any of you brilliant computer experts have suggestions?

I don't have the tablet in front of me but if anyone has ideas perhaps a link or a step-by-step would be helpful, and I can pass it along to them.

Thanks!

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2021, 6:33 pm

Some sort of cover over the screen? Tracing paper?

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2021, 6:35 pm

I use display color temperature utilities for these things, F.Lux is the way to go for PC or Mac but it's only available for Android hackers so I'd use EasyEyes, it's from a cool developer & usually does the trick for me.

If it doesn't work there should be a lot of adjacent recommendations in play store for similar things.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.palmerin.easyeyesfree

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2021, 6:43 pm

Thanks cberg! I passed along the link and I'll post if they have any difficulties. Also MG, that was a good idea about getting a shaded screen protector. I have a dark one on my iPhone and I really like it.

I'm assuming there are no other settings on the actual tablet, besides installing an app?

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2021, 6:55 pm

There might be although the settings can vary a good bit between devices. Samsung is known for their brightly lit displays though so usually I just swear by that app, it can run in the background with a setting above your notifications though.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2021, 1:16 pm

I'm having the opposite problem - the highest brightness setting is not bright enough!

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2021, 4:54 am

Does Android have something like a night light mode? I know Windows has it. Android has something similar, right?

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2021, 4:50 pm

It's a built in feature you can drag onto the quick settings above notifications with the little edit icon (usually a pencil); the icon on most devices is a crescent moon. Generally it works for me on my phone but that's the kind of thing I usually want a bit brighter I guess. EasyEyes & F.Lux are really comprehensive since they let you compare the color temperature to real light sources like the sun vs. florescent vs. incandescent. They also have a wider chromatic range.

On Windows 10 you can click the notifications on the bottom right or slide in from the right side of a touchscreen to turn this on, but I run this: https://justgetflux.com/

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2021, 6:53 pm

No need for f.lux anymore. Microsoft, being their usual selves have undercut someone else's product by building it into Windows.

Blue_Star
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 May 2021, 7:11 pm

I used Screen Filter on my Samsung Note for years. Wish I could find something similar for the ipad. Ugh is that thing overly bright!

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2021, 8:50 pm

RetroGamer87 wrote:
No need for f.lux anymore. Microsoft, being their usual selves have undercut someone else's product by building it into Windows.

It has a lot of modes beyond the usual Windows settings though, it works in redscale for example, like in observatories or ship's bridges. If you're a real vampire like me, F.lux is awesome.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2021, 9:45 pm

I sent along all these suggestions and my friend said they figured it out, so thanks again to everyone.

I'm not sure what worked but something did!

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2021, 11:02 pm

RetroGamer87 wrote:
Does Android have something like a night light mode? I know Windows has it. Android has something similar, right?

It does, but it only has like two options to configure. IIRC, it's more for changing color temperature than brightness/contrast.
It has an "inverted colors" feature too, but I can't get it to do anything on my Nook.

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2021, 9:01 pm

Twilight is an android screen filter that allows you to dim the display a lot dimmer than normally allowed. It also offers the option for a red screen filter or both.