Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

DesertWoman
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 May 2021, 1:30 am

Some people really cause me to wonder. Transparency is so hard to find among other adults. I get that we are all just people, living our lives. but having a disability is much harder.
Especially one that isn't obvious. Men on the spectrum seem to have so many more advantages. Because they're men. I think that all individuals deserve respect.
What the world doesn't understand is that not fitting in isn't our fault. And if you are blessed with the ability to have a life then being considerate shouldn't be an issue for you.
The heart is something we all have. We all have feelings. Emotions. That's universal. And decency is putting aside one's selfish, rude, immoral feelings and just being decent to others.

quite an extreme
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2021, 9:46 am

What advantages have men on the spectrum?
Not even few are always singled out and don't even have any real chance of a relationship in life.
And also emotions are less universal than you are expecting.

cornerpiece
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 May 2021, 6:35 pm

I think, men are less expected to be normal. Men generally are more "extreme", and women - more "average". For a man, it is an achievement to stand out in some way. For a woman, it is not.

But I agree that emotions are not as universal. There are people, psychopaths for example, that have some emotions simply missing. Such as fear, shame, guilt. Who knows, maybe there are other kinds of people with other kinds of emotions missing. Although I don't think that autistics are deprived of emotions. Deprived of ability to express them, maybe.

Benjamin the Donkey
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2021, 7:37 am

Most research indicates the opposite-- that one reason fewer women are diagnosed is because they have an easier time masking and passing off some autistic traits as stereotypically feminine traits.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2021, 8:23 am

Is this becoming another "Who Has it Better: Men or Women" thread?

:?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Benjamin the Donkey
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2021, 9:54 am

Fnord wrote:
Is this becoming another "Who Has it Better: Men or Women" thread?

:?

I never said men have it "better"--just than women may be able to mask more effectively. But long-term masking can do more damage.

DesertWoman
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 May 2021, 11:29 pm

A person is more than just their autism. There are just more hurdles for us to overcome. Men and women.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2021, 4:58 pm

I guess that transgender adults are screwed, either way.