Page 2 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2021, 2:31 pm

8O Oh no!

I might need a photo if you're able?

I'm going to have to steam the remaining hair off my torn doll, because it was originally glued on and it will restrict me from adding new hair. Glue removal will be a challenge for me, just like it is for you. Stupid glue!

How many transformers do you have?

Spunge42
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 May 2021, 10:45 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
I've now purchased a total of 3 from the craft store (curbside), and nine from Amazon. The best is still the bottom left from my original picture, but it's a bit dark. The top right is too pale.

That picture of my doll's severed hair does seem faded / wrong / peachy, but it was the lighting on my camera.
In real life it's quite close to the colour in the braided hair from eBay (shown here).

I think I'm secretly obsessing over colour selections so I can delay the actual repair job. It really scares me!

I understand obsessing over color. When picking out fabrics for a new quilt it takes me weeks sometimes months to nail down the right combo. :oops:

It's even more important when fixing something of sentimental value. The quilt my grandma made has some tears I need to fix, I found some of the original fabric she used in the boxes of fabric I have from her stash. Only problem is, the quilt has been washed many times so the color is a bit faded from the original. So do I pic a new fabric that matches better or go for the same fabric that's brighter. Decisions in life 8O .

I think you should pick which makes you happiest. What do you remember your doll looking like as a child. And go with that, not necessarily what a mint condition one would look like. Have you watched the show The Repair Shop? They restore some old dolls on there, among other things. I like their approach to restoration of the memory and emotions it invokes in the client not necessarily to the exact original condition. You might also get some ideas about the hair removal :D

Best of luck!

"I sat with my anger long enough, until she told me her real name was grief."

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2021, 11:16 pm

I like the top right the best.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2021, 7:38 pm

She's finished!!

Three weeks, 14 colours of yarn, and nine hours of face lift surgery later .... !

Thanks to everyone who helped cheer me up!

I ended up using a mix of three colours not from my photos. It seemed to work better than any colour alone.

Thanks again! :D :heart:

Not bad for a 50 year old doll!! ^

Note to stupid self: Don't ever ever ever follow internet washing instructions again!

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2021, 7:43 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
She's finished!!
Three weeks, 14 colours of yarn, and nine hours of face lift surgery later .... !
I ended up using a mix of three colours not from my photos. It seemed to work better than any colour alone.

Yay! :D
That color mix looks grand, that was a good idea.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2021, 7:58 pm

kitesandtrainsandcats wrote:

That color mix looks grand, that was a good idea.

Thanks! I was debating doing a mix all along, but I didn't want her to have highlights.

I think it was the best choice though. The pale was too pale on her skin, and the dark was too dull.

Next obsession? Taking suggestions.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2021, 8:08 pm

She looks like surgery was successful.

Also, I just noticed you spell colour like a Canadian. :nerdy:

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2021, 8:16 pm

Congratulations on a job well done. I think I would have obsessed over the color, gotten all the materials and then panicked and given up for a few days then forgotten.

The final mixing of colors was a great choice and one I might have suggested if I had found the thread earlier.

Once I wanted to match paint to the fake stone on our town home. I went to the paint store and got every paint chip/swatch/sample they had that might have been even close. I then compared them in the sunshine and picked the three best ones. I was going to built a bird house over the electric meter to better the curb appeal and please my wife (her brother's wife's dad did the same project for his - the brother's - house). I did a fabulous job matching the paint color. That was a few years ago - I should really consider that project again some time. Never build the bird-house - never bought the wood - never painted the wood that I didn't buy.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2021, 8:16 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
I think it was the best choice though. The pale was too pale on her skin, and the dark was too dull.

Along with that aspect of the thing, I think the color mix in her hair works well with the color mix in her dress & ties the 2 things together in a thematic way.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2021, 8:19 pm

Fenn wrote:
Congratulations on a job well done. I think I would have obsessed over the color, gotten all the materials and then panicked and given up for a few days then forgotten.

You just described me trying to finish custom toy cars. :oops:

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2021, 8:22 pm

Fenn wrote:

The final mixing of colors was a great choice and one I might have suggested if I had found the thread earlier.

Once I wanted to match paint to the fake stone on our town home. I went to the paint store and got every paint chip/swatch/sample they had that might have been even close. I then compared them in the sunshine and picked the three best ones. I was going to built a bird house over the electric meter to better the curb appeal and please my wife (her brother's wife's dad did the same project for his - the brother's - house). I did a fabulous job matching the paint color. That was a few years ago - I should really consider that project again some time. Never build the bird-house - never bought the wood - never painted the wood that I didn't buy.

LMAO. That sounds like something I would do! I used about 30 paint chips to repair an outdoor window frame once. Well actually I got someone else to repair it, but I picked the 30 colours and actually found the right one!

I dare you to do the birdhouse if you are still living in the same place! I love birdhouses and they were one of my special interests when I was little.

Game on!

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2021, 8:24 pm

Sure, but first - since I lost the paint chips - I have to pick the right color :-)

Spunge42
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 May 2021, 9:49 pm

It looks great. I love the mix of colors!! I hope you enjoy having her by your side for many years to come :heart:

"I sat with my anger long enough, until she told me her real name was grief."

Dylanperr
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2021, 12:10 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
As some of you know I accidentally killed my favourite doll from childhood, called Holly Hobbie.

I've decided I'm going to try to rebuild her, and in true autistic style I've spent about 10 hours obsessively searching the perfect yarn colour for her hair. The yarn I pick needs to match the little bit of hair that she still has, because I won't be able to remove her current hair without ripping the face a bit more. :(

It's hard to pick a colour because all the shops are closed and I need to purchase online with computer lighting.

The top doll in the picture is from the internet, showing the hair I need to make.

The bottom picture is (very unfortunately) my poor Holly right now.

Please let me know which colour of yarn seems to be the best match overall: Top right, or bottom left / right.

Short of pulling my eyes out with a dull implement, I can't decide.

One of those colours is used by doll restoration experts but I'm not sure if I agree with their choice - so I'll ask yours.

Thanks!

I believe there are hex code finders online that you could find the exact same color. That's what I do when I am mapmaking (yes cartography is my hobby) and I want to get rid of a certain landmass.

Dylanperr
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2021, 1:03 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
She's finished!!

Thanks again! :D :heart:

Not bad for a 50 year old doll!! ^

Note to stupid self: Don't ever ever ever follow internet washing instructions again!

Good job, your doll looks like it was successfully repaired.