I have a new music interest, music from India.

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2021, 5:29 am

So yeah if any of you guys have some suggestions I am interested. Lol not sure if I am a metalhead or just a musichead...lol, I always love metal but I cannot simply stick to metal as there is so much other great music out there to.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2021, 5:44 am

this is going to be like that disco thing, lol...in a couple days my playlist will be full of Indian music rather than Disco music. Then in a few months time I will have found some other kind of music I want to delve into.

Lunella
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2021, 1:09 pm

Because English is quite a basic language we don't really get the meanings of the Indian songs because their meanings are much deeper as there's an incredible amount of different words for the same thing with stronger meanings.

Shahrukh Khan & Salman Khan are like the main two actors, they are a bit weird where these actors mimic the song singing in the music videos but the actual singers are totally different but that's for the indian market basically.

There's a few nice Indian songs though yeah, I'm quite used to the topic.

(You will probably recognise the end of this if you've been on TikTok)

(Mashallah, also written Masha'Allah, is an Arabic phrase that is used to express contentment, joy, praise, or thankfulness for an event or person that was just mentioned. The literal meaning of Mashallah is "what God has willed", in the sense of "what God has willed has happened")

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2021, 1:43 am

Lunella wrote:
Because English is quite a basic language we don't really get the meanings of the Indian songs because their meanings are much deeper as there's an incredible amount of different words for the same thing with stronger meanings.

Shahrukh Khan & Salman Khan are like the main two actors, they are a bit weird where these actors mimic the song singing in the music videos but the actual singers are totally different but that's for the indian market basically.

There's a few nice Indian songs though yeah, I'm quite used to the topic.

(You will probably recognise the end of this if you've been on TikTok)

(Mashallah, also written Masha'Allah, is an Arabic phrase that is used to express contentment, joy, praise, or thankfulness for an event or person that was just mentioned. The literal meaning of Mashallah is "what God has willed", in the sense of "what God has willed has happened")

I will for sure have to take a look at those, but yeah I mean I listen to a lot of music that I don't understand the lyrics. LIke I listen to a lot of metal and some metal I like is in different languages so I don't always know what they are saying but I still like it. So I realize I may not understand all they sing about but I really like the sound of the instruments and the styles they sing in I guess even if I cannot comprehend the lyric meanings.

traven
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2021, 12:20 am

from the (Bhangra Knights Peugeot Advert)ad

& more 8)

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2021, 4:20 pm

George Harrison of the Beatles took up the sitar, and introduced folks of my generation to Indian music.

I got quite interested traditional Indian ragas. Indian music comes in "classical", and in "folk". Had a double records set or Ravi Shankar and others doing both classical and folk.

Indian ragas influence many rock musicians. Zeppilin is very influenced by indian music despite never using sitars or Indian instruments.

Probably the least know album by any Beatle is the sound track of the little known movie "the Wonderwall" scored by George Harrison -that features dozens of Indian instruments. You might wanna check it out.

Ragas are like western jazz- heavy on improvisation. I like the tension between the plucked string instruments, and the percussion by hand drums called "tablas".

When dad was in the hospital he had a male nurse who was an Asian Indian who lived in west Virginia, and headed an American style Country band. He told us that it was a natural progression from his own country because "like country, Indian folks music is heavy on storytelling".

In the Fifties Dave Brubeck wrote the jazz hit "Take Five". He was inspired by a trip in Turkey to write in five-four time (normal in west Asian music, but unconvential in the west).

Here the song returns to it's Asian roots. Here is a Pakistani orchestra doing the Brubeck hit.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2021, 4:35 pm

Modern Indian pop music mostly comes from their movie industry.
Here is the second greatest dance scene in movie history (in my humble opinion).

But it still doesnt beat out this American 1940s footage for number one. :D