What are the problems with Asperger’s syndrome?

Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Technic1
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 May 2021, 4:46 am

We are very good at some things (I’ve already started threads about this) but what are we not good at?

Social skills is one thing but what exactly is meant by this?

Verbosity?
Tone of voice?
Verbosity?
Prosody?
Ect...?

I mean what does your therapist, or psychologist thinks of Asperger’s syndrome?

And what is the cognitive development of Aspergers?

I am a firm believer in knowing your weaknesses (or knowing what the problem is before you can solve it)

If we know what the problem is, with fast as light travel we, can get solve it.

To word it simply, why is it in the DSM.

cbd
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 May 2021, 9:59 am

Technic1 wrote:
We are very good at some things (I’ve already started threads about this) but what are we not good at?

Verbosity?
Tone of voice?
Verbosity?
Prosody?
Ect...?

I am a firm believer in knowing your weaknesses (or knowing what the problem is before you can solve it)

Agree'd . You Can't Fixed a Hole in the Boat without Locating it First .

Interestingly enough . all the Above are incorporated in Musicianship and Vocalisation of Lyrics .

ive been mocked for being Monotone ( in a joking way by close Friends and Family ) . Although not a Natural Development . i'm Able to Pitch my Voice .. and Fluctuate it .. Even to the Extent of Mesmerising People in the Right Tone . (1 Girl said She Felt Like She was Being Hypnotised) .. Geeeze !

--

My Setbacks Come in the Form of Desiring Interaction . ie if i Have no Interest it's Impossible to Motivate . Big Problem Approaching The Opposite Sex . Some People Worth a Go . But Nothing Beyond .. This Attitude is Evident in My Behaviour

Technic1
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 May 2021, 5:53 am

cbd wrote:
Technic1 wrote:

Verbosity?
Tone of voice?
Verbosity?
Prosody?
Ect...?

Agree'd . You Can't Fixed a Hole in the Boat without Locating it First .

Interestingly enough . all the Above are incorporated in Musicianship and Vocalisation of Lyrics .

ive been mocked for being Monotone ( in a joking way by close Friends and Family ) . Although not a Natural Development . i'm Able to Pitch my Voice .. and Fluctuate it .. Even to the Extent of Mesmerising People in the Right Tone . (1 Girl said She Felt Like She was Being Hypnotised) .. Geeeze !

--

My Setbacks Come in the Form of Desiring Interaction . ie if i Have no Interest it's Impossible to Motivate . Big Problem Approaching The Opposite Sex . Some People Worth a Go . But Nothing Beyond .. This Attitude is Evident in My Behaviour

NTs have problems with communication too, but that’s not what I’m asking?

Wonderboy in Monsterland
Butterfly
Butterfly

Technic1
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 May 2021, 7:19 am

I didn’t get to read through the whole thing...was the article about Hans Asperger?

And the fact that Hans Asperger use to work for the Nazis?!?

Wonderboy in Monsterland
Butterfly
Butterfly

05 May 2021, 8:40 am

No not at all. It explains very well why calling yourself an asperger might be rather inaccurate (but understandable), an why it's not an official diagnosis anymore (in most western countries as far I know)

I was diagnosed with ASD. They told me I would've been classified as an aspie if that was still a diagnosis. So that's how I identified myself, as an aspie. Since I read this article (and more) I decided not too.

Last edited by Wonderboy in Monsterland on 05 May 2021, 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jiheisho
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2021, 8:40 am

The DMS-5 cover the criteria for Autism Spectrum Disorder (Asperger's is no longer a distinct diagnosis). The criteria are broad and the presentation in people equally vary. You really need a personal assessment.

A link to the criteria for ASD in DSM-5: https://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/autism/hcp-dsm.html

Something Profound
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 May 2021, 9:57 am

Technic1 wrote:
I didn’t get to read through the whole thing...was the article about Hans Asperger?

In summary the article was about how the terms "Aspie" or "Asperger's Syndrome" is outdated, including a history in how it only has one factor differentiating it from Autism (speech development and capability), and now is a defunct term in the DSM-5. The article goes on to explain that the terms have negative connotations associated with them, particularly because a significant number of "Aspies" affect a superiority complex regarding other people with ASD, bordering on discriminatory.

Having read the article, I find myself agreeing with the point and will probably eschew using the term "Aspie" and "Asperger's" in general moving forward. I was unaware of the controversy. Now I am.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2021, 3:09 pm

Something Profound wrote:
Technic1 wrote:

In summary the article was about how the terms "Aspie" or "Asperger's Syndrome" is outdated, including a history in how it only has one factor differentiating it from Autism (speech development and capability), and now is a defunct term in the DSM-5. The article goes on to explain that the terms have negative connotations associated with them, particularly because a significant number of "Aspies" affect a superiority complex regarding other people with ASD, bordering on discriminatory.

Having read the article, I find myself agreeing with the point and will probably eschew using the term "Aspie" and "Asperger's" in general moving forward. I was unaware of the controversy. Now I am.

Two main things to unpack here Aspie Supremacism and Hans Asperger's Nazi complicity.

When "Aspergers" was being considered for a diagnosis a couple of Jewish clinicians questioned it considering Asperger worked for the Nazis. No proof was found that he was a Nazi and the Asperger diagnosis went into the DSM IV. Over time Hans Aspergers reputation increased so by the time the Aspergers diagnosis was being considered for removal his reputation was that of a person who surreptitiously worked to undercut the Nazis for the disabled. By that time "Aspie" had become an identity especially helpful to repair the self-esteem of older people who went undiagnosed not knowing why they were having difficulty in life or believing what everybody was telling them their whole lives, that it was about them being weak attention-getting excuse-makers. There were others like ourselves, a revelation. Hans Asperger's "hero" status only added to self-esteem. For some, this went too far and ventured into Aspie elitism and Supremacism signified as mentioned in the article by the vicious statement by the head of GRASP at the time ‘ “I personally am probably going to have a very hard time calling myself autistic,” said Carley in an interview with National Public Radio, comparing the cultural perception of Asperger’s as a diagnosis perceived as associated with major historical figures, like Edison and Einstein, to “somebody who might have to wear adult diapers and maybe a head-restraining device. This is very hard for us to swallow,”’. Being on WP at the time I can attest most of us did not feel this way. A lot of us did feel hurt by the elimination of the Aspergers diagnosis, we had finally after all these decades found something that described us and these mean NT’s had taken it away from us. It was not about superiority.

And the elimination of the Aspergers diagnosis had nothing to do with Hans Asperger’s Nazi complicity as it was generally not known at the time. As mentioned in the article it was about inconsistent diagnosis and perceived over-diagnosis.

During the following year or so those of us who wanted to hold on to Aspie” as a cultural thing were often told to just stop, we were just holding onto it because we did want to be associated with “real autistics”, we're probably over-diagnosed or faking it to be trendy or to excuse bad behavior. This controversy got conflated with the “self-diagnosis” controversy also going on hot and heavy at the time. There were often three or four concurrent threads like this going on. It was just brutal.

When most of this had blown over, came the documentation by two historians who specialized in that period that Hans Asperger was complicit in Nazi Eugenics. In twitter land, those that never liked the Aspergers in the first place had a victory dance. “We were right all along, You Aspies have always been about your ablism towered the more affected just like the Nazi you name yourself after". Thankfully that did not happen here because while generally not true it was hard to argue with.

I had to admit to myself that I had ignored the obvious that person could not fool the meticulous Nazis he worked under, in an office right down the hall. My “Aspie” identity was gone. It was not as difficult for me as some because I had always identified as “Autistic” also. I am not “canceling” Aspie or Aspergers. A very important turning point occurred in my life under those terms. Hans Asperger's work indirectly helped identify so many of us. This site probably would not be here without his wider criteria. There is no wishing that away. But what Aspie/Aspergers is, IS MY HISTORY NOT MY CURRENT.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Earthbound_Alien
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2021, 5:02 pm

I just got told off on another forum...I am too chatty apparently...

More autistic than aspie but hey...you are kin folk so I stick around here.

Earthbound_Alien
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2021, 5:03 pm

Nothing is wrong with aspie although I used to be err more temple grandin...just not so smart...well not in the same way.

I am a child in a 45 year old body. Age is overrated.

Earthbound_Alien
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2021, 5:04 pm

A kiddy with an intellect...basically

Im cool with it

Earthbound_Alien
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2021, 5:04 pm

please let me know if I am making too many posts...just got lambblasted...err

told off

Earthbound_Alien
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2021, 5:05 pm

I can talk too much sometimes...

like yerself...aspies are more fun than society thinks they are...

Earthbound_Alien
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2021, 5:06 pm

That means like....yourself...

You are more adorable than ya think

Earthbound_Alien
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2021, 5:07 pm

Jiheisho wrote:
The DMS-5 cover the criteria for Autism Spectrum Disorder (Asperger's is no longer a distinct diagnosis). The criteria are broad and the presentation in people equally vary. You really need a personal assessment.

A link to the criteria for ASD in DSM-5: https://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/autism/hcp-dsm.html

~Ditch the DSM they don't understand Jack s*** err nothing, they don't know what or understand what autism is.