Page 2 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

slam_thunderhide
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 May 2021, 1:02 pm

Redd_Kross wrote:
Big business is interested in money-making. That's it. There's no deeper plot than that.

Censorship by companies like Google and Facebook isn't politically motivated, it's money motivated.

They don't want to side with old, white, ultra right-wing Christian guys because then they'd alienate the majority of their worldwide customers to keep a small but vocal minority of bigots happy.

Nonsense. The actions of companies like Google and Facebook are motivated by both: money AND politics. If you believe the masses of consumers out there are politically motivated, then why shouldn't big business owners be politically motivated too? Big business owners are human beings after all.

The fact of the matter is that the masses are mostly inert, and in business - just as in politics - it's a minority of powerful people who decide the direction of things.

Millions of vapid teenagers are not going to stop using Facebook because of a few right-wing groups on the site that they probably don't even know exist. Billions of Muslims and Hindus aren't going to mind in the slightest if google deigns to offer Christians a google doodle for Easter Sunday, and yet google won't even do that.

(And I'll just point out here that I'm not a Christian myself, in case anyone wants to insert any irrelevant snark here.)

Redd_Kross wrote:
I do find these delusional old fools hilarious with their claims of constant repression. Just because their ideologically conservative power base (that gave them dominance for so long) is gradually being eroded away by the multinationals they pandered to, who took their money-first ethos closest to heart. That's some fine irony right there.

Yes, regular conservative types who blindly praise capitalism are kind of foolish. But this is hardly any less ironic than seeing leftist types like yourself trying to rationalize why your social views are so similar to those promoted by the likes of Google and Facebook.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2021, 3:18 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
MaxE wrote:
We should institute a ban on YouTube content apart from OC or originating from respected sources like BBC.

Also, maybe this is a mistaken impression, isn't it usually that if someone posts a video most people don't even use laptops anymore, are pulling up a given thread or OP on their phone, see that it's a video, they don't want to bother using their plan data to watch it, and quite often you have something like either a dead thread or ten or fifteen people discussing the thread title and none of them watched the video?

Basically this. I don't mind seeing YouTube content on a forum devoted to music or entertainment. But posting a YT link without a synopsis is typical of the type of cranks who just want to start an argument. As for the subject line, I don't give a f**k if somebody's Anti-American, that's their business.