I don’t know what to do about this? Any advice?

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Oct 2008
Age: 32
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,658
Location: Near London United Kingdom

03 May 2021, 8:39 am

At the moment I am walking around with eyesight that’s a bit impaired because I am to vain to wear my glasses when going out socially.

I wore my glasses at the pub recently for the first time and someone said to me that they did not suit me at all.

I just don’t know what to do really because of the social stigma of wearing glasses?


Any advice you could give me? Not sure if laser treatment would work for me because 3 years ago I had replacement lenses put in my eyes so I would not rely on glasses but sadly it didn’t workout as planned.



Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2008
Age: 64
Gender: Male
Posts: 50,711
Location: Stendec

03 May 2021, 8:58 am

Your choices should be obvious to you:

1. Wear your glasses
2. Stop letting random people do your thinking for you.
3. See your optometrist for a re-examination.
4. Buy new frames.


_________________
 Link to Official List of Trump's Atrocities 

45OFFICE = TRE45ON
Lock Him Up!


Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Oct 2008
Age: 32
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,658
Location: Near London United Kingdom

03 May 2021, 9:01 am

Fnord wrote:
Your choices should be obvious to you:

1. Wear your glasses
2. Stop letting random people do your thinking for you.
3. See your optometrist for a re-examination.
4. Buy new frames.



I did try contact lenses at specsavers but sadly they were just to awkward to take in and out of my eyes. It’s a massive shame really because they would have been a great substitute to wearing glasses :(



Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2008
Age: 64
Gender: Male
Posts: 50,711
Location: Stendec

03 May 2021, 9:03 am

Jamesy wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Your choices should be obvious to you:

1. Wear your glasses
2. Stop letting random people do your thinking for you.
3. See your optometrist for a re-examination.
4. Buy new frames.
I did try contact lenses but sadly they were just to awkward to take in and out of my eye.
I said nothing about contact lenses.  If you obsess about your problems while ignoring the obvious solutions, nothing will ever get better for you.


_________________
 Link to Official List of Trump's Atrocities 

45OFFICE = TRE45ON
Lock Him Up!


Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Oct 2008
Age: 32
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,658
Location: Near London United Kingdom

03 May 2021, 9:06 am

Fnord wrote:
Jamesy wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Your choices should be obvious to you:

1. Wear your glasses
2. Stop letting random people do your thinking for you.
3. See your optometrist for a re-examination.
4. Buy new frames.
I did try contact lenses but sadly they were just to awkward to take in and out of my eye.
I said nothing about contact lenses.  If you obsess about your problems while ignoring the obvious solutions, nothing will ever get better for you.




No I was just making a point that contact lenses should be more straightforward to use.



Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 13 May 2019
Gender: Male
Posts: 11,306

03 May 2021, 9:17 am

My advice is to ignore them because anyone who makes comments like that about your glasses is stupid. It is up to you what you wear. They should never make you feel guilty like that. Tell them to put a paper bag over their heads to improve their looks.



Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Oct 2008
Age: 32
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,658
Location: Near London United Kingdom

03 May 2021, 9:23 am

Mountain Goat wrote:
My advice is to ignore them because anyone who makes comments like that about your glasses is stupid. It is up to you what you wear. They should never make you feel guilty like that. Tell them to put a paper bag over their heads to improve their looks.



Obviously when you go out socially you want to look your best though right?



Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 23 Feb 2010
Gender: Female
Posts: 20,817
Location: South-East England

03 May 2021, 9:34 am

Loads of people wear glasses. I don't understand why people would say such things about you wearing glasses. Contact lens aren't for everyone. I know NTs around my age that wear glasses. It's childish to make fun of someone wearing glasses. Shouldn't NTs know that? :?


_________________
Female
Aged 31
On antidepressants
Have ASD, ADHD and anxiety disorder
Empathy score: 61 out of a possible 80. (High)


Last edited by Joe90 on 03 May 2021, 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OutsideView
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Oct 2017
Age: 37
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,022
Location: England ^not male but apparently you can't change it

03 May 2021, 9:39 am

Do you have someone you trust to go and look at some new frames with you? Since we all like different things there's always going to be people with all kinds of different opinions about you however you look though. Contact lenses do get a bit easier with practice but I know some people can just never stand them.


_________________
Silence lies steadily against the wood and stone of Hill House. And we who walk here, walk alone.


cbd
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

Joined: 12 Apr 2021
Gender: Male
Posts: 206

03 May 2021, 9:49 am

Jamesy . that Person is unhelpful .

eve if they were being Serious . ignore them .

Maybe the Shape of the Glasses Doesn't Suite your face . Everybody's Face matches Different Styles . ForExample if You Have a Rounded Face .. Certain Glasses Frames will Look Better on You than Others . 8)



Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Oct 2008
Age: 32
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,658
Location: Near London United Kingdom

03 May 2021, 10:08 am

cbd wrote:
Jamesy . that Person is unhelpful .

eve if they were being Serious . ignore them .

Maybe the Shape of the Glasses Doesn't Suite your face . Everybody's Face matches Different Styles . ForExample if You Have a Rounded Face .. Certain Glasses Frames will Look Better on You than Others . 8)



Yeah that's true



MidnightRose
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

User avatar

Joined: 9 Feb 2021
Age: 24
Gender: Male
Posts: 226
Location: US

04 May 2021, 3:12 am

If someone is so superficial that they insult you for wearing glasses, then I don't think they are the kind of person you want to be friends with. Unless, maybe, your glasses suck? There are some frames that just are not flattering. But most frames look ok on most people, so I seriously doubt that's the issue. Hell, the slightly nerdy look has been acceptable for many years by now. I don't think you need to worry about a "wearing glasses" stigma. I've received compliments from people for my glasses on several occasions. I certainly wouldn't let a single drunk person's opinion ruin your self image.



Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 23 Feb 2010
Gender: Female
Posts: 20,817
Location: South-East England

04 May 2021, 12:22 pm

I always thought that there was this social taboo about giving your honest opinion about someone if you know it may offend them. But it seems on WP that almost everyone here often gets NTs throwing their honest opinions at us - but we aren't supposed to do it to them.


_________________
Female
Aged 31
On antidepressants
Have ASD, ADHD and anxiety disorder
Empathy score: 61 out of a possible 80. (High)


Gelan
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

Joined: 3 May 2021
Age: 74
Posts: 7
Location: Herefordshire

04 May 2021, 12:29 pm

I did try contact lenses at specsavers but sadly they were just to awkward to take in and out of my eyes. It’s a massive shame really because they would have been a great substitute to wearing glasses :([/quote]

Feel sorry for the person that said your glasses don't suit you, as they have more problems than you. We are what we are, just be as good a person as you can be...it makes you untouchable.

I'm living proof of that.



SpottedMushroom
Raven
Raven

User avatar

Joined: 24 Feb 2021
Age: 29
Gender: Female
Posts: 113
Location: Indiana, USA

13 May 2021, 9:16 pm

I agree, that person was quite rude to you in the comments...If someone you don't know says something insulting and unnecessary, I would say that person was just trying to make you feel bad. Don't ask me why, I don't know why people behave this way. But it's really not something you say to someone upon meeting them.
Glasses are a very common and normal thing...I can't imagine someone genuinely caring what kind of frames you have. I hope you can feel less self-consious about it because it's not a big deal at all. I wear glasses too :)



Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Oct 2008
Age: 32
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,658
Location: Near London United Kingdom

14 May 2021, 4:04 am

SpottedMushroom wrote:
I agree, that person was quite rude to you in the comments...If someone you don't know says something insulting and unnecessary, I would say that person was just trying to make you feel bad. Don't ask me why, I don't know why people behave this way. But it's really not something you say to someone upon meeting them.
Glasses are a very common and normal thing...I can't imagine someone genuinely caring what kind of frames you have. I hope you can feel less self-consious about it because it's not a big deal at all. I wear glasses too :)



The guy who said the comment to me I have known him for 6 years