Question if Broad Autism Phenotype should be a diagnosis

Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2021, 2:49 pm

I think Broad Autism Phenotype should be a diagnosis on the Autism Spectrum.

I will rename it to Autistic Personality Disorder.

What is Broad Autism Phenotype?

According to https://www.verywellhealth.com/what-is- ... ype-260048 , Broad Autism Phenotype is an even wider range of individuals who exhibit problems with personality, language, and social-behavioral characteristics at a level that is considered to be higher than average but lower than is diagnosable with autism.

What is my new diagnostic criteria named Autistic Personality Disorder?

Autistic Personality Disorder is the most mildest form of ASD, also known as Broad Autism Phenotype or PDD-NOS that describes an even wider range of individuals who exhibit problems with personality, language, and social-behavioral characteristics at a level that is considered to be higher than average but lower than is diagnosable with autism.

Types of ASD:

* Low-functioning Autism
* Mediam-functioning Autism
* High-functioning Autism
* Autistic Personality Disorder, Borad Autism Phenotype or PDD-NOS

Autistic Personality Disorder is a developmental disorder that causes strange communication and personalities associated with ASD. It’s just a personality developmental disorder.

Autistic Persanlity Disorder is the most mildest form of ASD.

Symptoms of ASD includes:

* Difficulty using and understanding language[7]
* Difficulty relating to people, objects, and events;[7] for example, lack of eye contact, pointing behavior, and lack of facial responses
* Unusual play with toys and other objects.[7]
* Paranoia, a characteristic form of social anxiety, derealization, transient psychosis, and unconventional beliefs if environment or routine are changed without notice[7]
* Repetitive body movements or behavior patterns,[7] such as hand flapping, hair twirling, foot tapping, or more complex movements
* Inability to cuddle or be comforted.
* Difficulty regulating behaviors and emotions, which may result in temper tantrums, anxiety, and aggression
* Emotional breakdowns
* Delusional or unconventional perception of the world
* Maladaptive daydreaming
* MIRRORED-SELF MISIDENTIFICATION – the delusion that the individual in the mirror that you are a child, even though you are an older teen or an adult

Symptoms of Autistic Personality Disorder includes:

* Communication difficulties (e.g., using and understanding language)[7]
* Difficulty with social behavior
* Paranoia, a characteristic form of social anxiety, derealization, transient psychosis, and unconventional beliefs if the environment changed without further notice
* Uneven skill development (strengths in some areas and delays in others)
* Unusual play with toys and other objects
* Repetitive body movements or behavior patterns
* Preoccupation with fantasies that interfere and that are not normal to have at a certain age depending on social, cultural and religious norms.
* Unconventional perception of the world
* Maladaptive daydreaming
* Mirrored-Self Misidentification (The delusion that the individual in the mirror is a child, even though they are an older teen or adult)

I hope it all makes sense.

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2021, 3:54 pm

An interesting concept. I think I'd fit into this category. Where to draw lines can be a difficult decision. I'm alright without having a diagnosis though. Sometimes I miss sarcasm, or use the wrong tone accidentally. It can cause some upset. The people who know me usually keep this in mind though when speaking to me.

I have sensory sensitivities. This has the most impact on my life. Sometimes I have to eat alone because it's too much. Or I'll put on music or recite random stuff in my head to try to distract myself. I hate chewing and whistling. I have hyperactive pretty much everything (especially hearing and smell), I live a very vivid life.

My anxiousness has toned down over the years, in fact I often come across as calm. I also have repetitive movements. Yet, if you met me, you'd probably assume I was neurotypical. I can be independent, I have a friend group, and I lead a fairly standard life. Usually I'm just described as socially anxious, highly sensitive and a bit eccentric. Although my previous online therapist said I was the most normal person she's ever met, so there's that. :lol: (Then again, a different therapist wanted me to look into anxiety, autism, and OCD. She sent me a pdf leaflet on anxiety in autistic people which is why I ended up here in the first place).

The highly sensitive section of the population is too large to be a diagnosable group. I do know that it's probably not all that typical to find yourself in tears because you're so overwhelmed with sensory information though. Still, I'm fairly used to be on the edge of categories / not fitting the mould of expectations but not quite reaching normalcy either. I'm probably dyscalculic or have some other kind of visual processing issue but all my attempts at finding answers or a diagnosis for that has lead me in circles so I've given up. At this point, I don't think a diagnosis of any kind would help me - I just do my best to work out what helps and what doesn't.

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2021, 4:49 pm

But you are not that normal, because you do have some symptoms of ASD that might cause you distress and you explained that you sometimes miss social cues and that it makes some people upset.

cbd
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 May 2021, 5:16 pm

.. Can you Summarise the Clear Difference Between ASD & ASP ?

them lists look copy n paste so i avoided checking . almost a feeling of being duped into reading the same thing twice sprung to mind .

cbd
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 May 2021, 5:21 pm

. i glanced at the lack of desire to be hugged . interesting .

can this not also be placed in a category of nurturing .. or lack of . some people are forced into accepting social behaviours .

a friend of mine said she would have give me a hug (which is pretty funny really) . im not that rigid like that .. but to Her it Might have been a big Gesture of intamacey .

Some Cats Hate Being Picked up .. Due to Past Trauma .

Are You a Professional by any Chance ?

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2021, 5:54 pm

I am not a medical professional of any kind. I just have repetitive and restricted interests in forensics, psychology, neurology, psychiatry, neuropsychiatry, neuroopthalmology, criminology and criminal statistics and victimology and neuropsychology.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2021, 5:58 pm

About hugging. I used to really panic when I was hugged. I would feel trapped and hemmed in and repulsed by hugging. It felt horrible... I had a grandmother who was very huggy and I was ....(Not sure what words to use).

Then in my late teens I started going to church. One was expected to hug others. I had to learn... Teach myself... To shut off emotions and to try to hug back. Eventually I became ok to hug, as I expected it so I was prepared for it.

But then sometimes I can be caught out. I had a Christian I know come up to me and hug me. I was not expecting it. I pulled a squirmy funny face and I was highly embarissed as other Christians who were in his group saw it. I could not help it. He did not see it. I feel soo embarissed that I did that!

Another thing which was not really natural wad to shake hands. I was taught in church how I must shake hands, especially if one was greatful to another person. I had to learn this. I sometimes would expect to shake hands so I was prepared for it but it was not appropiate so I would get it wrong, as not knowing when, I would do it when I thought was appropiate, but it wasn't.
So often I get it wrong, so in some ways covid has simplified it for me.

Hugging, shaking hands etc... It is all something I had to learn. Yet, it is different to hugging a girlfriend somehow as I want to hug and kiss then... I am prepared and expect it and enjoy it.
But to hug someone else other then very close family like my Mum, where we are not huggy in a natural way but we would hug back if hugged sort of thing...

Is hugging, or not hugging anything to do with autism though? As some do not hug as they can't do body contact, but some do and don't mind? Is it an autism thing or a general life thing?

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2021, 5:59 pm

cbd wrote:

them lists look copy n paste so i avoided checking . almost a feeling of being duped into reading the same thing twice sprung to mind .

ASD includes enough impaired communication, restricted interests, repetitive behaviors and sensory issues.

ASP - Autism Personality Disorder, PDD-NOS -aka Broad Autism Phenotype includes strange communication and autistic-like traits, but might not be eligible for diagnosis of ASD, but Autism Personality Disorder is sort of neurodevelopmental disorder.

ASP is part of the Autism Spectrum, but it is not in diagnostic manuals yet.

cbd
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 May 2021, 7:42 pm

FranzOren wrote:
cbd wrote:

ASD includes enough impaired communication, restricted interests, repetitive behaviors and sensory issues.

ASP - Autism Personality Disorder, PDD-NOS -aka Broad Autism Phenotype includes strange communication and autistic-like traits, but might not be eligible for diagnosis of ASD, but Autism Personality Disorder is sort of neurodevelopmental disorder.

ASP is part of the Autism Spectrum, but it is not in diagnostic manuals yet.

would this not suggest the criteria if ASD needs Broadening Based on both the suggested ASD & ASP Symptoms .

The Strange Behaviours for Example might be an expression of a Higher Functioning Aspie . Behaviours Often Linked with 'Distruptive' ADHD Patterns .

I Don't Know the Criteria for Autistic Diagnosis .. but Much Like Other Diagnosis .. the Framework Can Often Have Black and White Scoring System .

These Testings .. to Me should include the Facial Feature Matrix .. aswell as Selected Questions That Would Undoubtidly Envoke Clear AS responses . If a Person is on the Spectrum . There are Definitive Signs .

if the Outcomes are based Purely on a Points System to a Rigid Set of Questions then it Simply isnt as Well Structured as Intended .

i Could Pick atleast People off a Social Media Account . and 98% Would Genetically Fall Under AS . if i Can Pick People Out (even People i Don't Know) Surely Professionals are Able To Also . Which Leads Me to idea that Diagnosis Aren't Denied Because of Truth but Tick Boxing and Points Tallying .. Which Could Do with a New Strategy .

this is all Personal Hypothesis Though . Still Yet to Go Through Diagnosis Proceedure

cbd
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 May 2021, 7:45 pm

FranzOren wrote:
I am not a medical professional of any kind. I just have repetitive and restricted interests in forensics, psychology, neurology, psychiatry, neuropsychiatry, neuroopthalmology, criminology and criminal statistics and victimology and neuropsychology.

Aha , You Should Consider the Persuit of a Career in the above . Have You Read the DSM-5 ?

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2021, 8:09 pm

I'm not much of a hugger. Personally I think that hugs mean different things to different people. For me, hugs are a moment of emotional connection - a close friend, a relative, etc. I dislike it when strangers want to hug me and tend to step backwards, cross my arms or tense up if someone attempts this.

Especially if they restrict my arms, if someone does hug me I'd rather they hugged me over the shoulder or underneath my arms. This is rooted in trauma, which I have overcome for the most part, but I still have fairly bad claustrophobia and if my arms are being heavily pressed on both sides I feel trapped. A bit like how a cat uses their whiskers to tell if they can fit into a gap, and if their whiskers touch the sides then they likely won't go in. When it was really bad I used to have flashbacks and end up elbowing people in the stomach and punching people in the arm in a rush of panic. I unlearnt this but I still dislike hugging strangers and avoid it if I can. For me, it means a lot if I feel comfortable enough to hug someone and feel comforted by it. I actually really like hugs when I feel safe and I'm emotionally close to someone.

I used to dislike eye contact, but that was also rooted in trauma. As a kid, I witnessed someone have a breakdown and blame it on me. I took that to heart and developed a fear of looking at people the wrong way in case I accidentally caused more breakdowns somehow (despite not being the true cause of that breakdown). An irrational fear, but I was a young kid and didn't fully understand the full extent of the situation.

FranzOren wrote:
But you are not that normal, because you do have some symptoms of ASD that might cause you distress and you explained that you sometimes miss social cues and that it makes some people upset.

This is true. However, for the most part I am perceived to be.

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2021, 8:14 pm

cbd wrote:
FranzOren wrote:

Aha , You Should Consider the Persuit of a Career in the above . Have You Read the DSM-5 ?

I have read the diagnostic criteria for Pervasive Developmental Disorder in Wikipedia and Autism Spectrum Disorder in DSM-5 and ICD-11.

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2021, 1:43 pm

You can have some kind of rare form of Pervasive Developmental Disorder or even undiagnosed Atypical Autism

Source:

https://www.spectrumnews.org/news/even- ... irst-year/

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2021, 7:43 pm

There so many developmental disorders that looks related to Autism.

I think we should call it 'Autism Spectrum and Other Pervasive Developmental Disorders', just for pseudoscience and pseudo psychology.

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran