Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2021, 10:40 pm

shlaifu wrote:
And yeah, I do get it was supposed to be a james bondish spy thriller, but the problem was for me that once it was properly established that parts of the action were running backwards, my brain went: "don't worry about confusing scenes, I bet it'll be explained later, when the film runs backwards".
And so it happened. But I had stopped caring.
It was like a puzzle of which you know you can't solve it, until you get the vital pieces of which you know you will get them in about an hour. So why care until you get the missing pieces? - but me getting the pieces was supposed to be the epiphany the film was providing. It just didn't feel like an epiphany, but I felt like mumbling "what took you so long?", when Nolan finally came to give me the missing pieces

Kind of like Memento?
IIRC, in the special features, he said something about how he liked that aspect of Memento, because it encouraged people to watch the movie more than once.
Not even sure how many times I've watched that movie, but I remember it was lot funnier the second time.
Watchmen was pretty cool to watch more than once, too (not a Nolan film, though).

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2021, 6:14 pm

SabbraCadabra wrote:
shlaifu wrote:
And yeah, I do get it was supposed to be a james bondish spy thriller, but the problem was for me that once it was properly established that parts of the action were running backwards, my brain went: "don't worry about confusing scenes, I bet it'll be explained later, when the film runs backwards".
And so it happened. But I had stopped caring.
It was like a puzzle of which you know you can't solve it, until you get the vital pieces of which you know you will get them in about an hour. So why care until you get the missing pieces? - but me getting the pieces was supposed to be the epiphany the film was providing. It just didn't feel like an epiphany, but I felt like mumbling "what took you so long?", when Nolan finally came to give me the missing pieces

Kind of like Memento?
IIRC, in the special features, he said something about how he liked that aspect of Memento, because it encouraged people to watch the movie more than once.
Not even sure how many times I've watched that movie, but I remember it was lot funnier the second time.
Watchmen was pretty cool to watch more than once, too (not a Nolan film, though).

Maybe it was because I was much younger when I saw Memento, but I felt is was a clever gimmick that made the storytelling more interesting. But I thought you could only do that once, and Memento had done it.
I also had no compulaion to ever watch it again because I'm not expecting sny major epiphanies from that - only some pointers which now finslly make sense. But the film was interesting without me understanding some details.

But in Tenet, major complications in the plot get solved by something exploding backwards, unexpectedly.
And the whole second half is there to explain why those things exploded in that Action scene you watched an hour ago.
It felt like Nolan saying to me: See? See? I have it all planned out!

But for me, it just destroyed all suspense. As s plot device, it's basically a deus ex machina. I can't invest emotionally in a thing of which I know anything can happen at any point. - Nolan then retroactively explaining the thing I'm not emotionally invested is just... Tedious

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2021, 6:17 pm

AnonymousAnonymous wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Until I noticed this thread, I had never heard of Christopher Nolan; but then, I am not much into metaphysical topics.
IMO, watch Memento first, then watch Nolan's other films in any order you see fit.
No.  After reading a few different versions of his biography, I choose to stay away.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2021, 4:07 pm

My feeling is that he's a very technically talented director but not a particularly gifted storyteller.

RobZombie
Butterfly
Butterfly

02 Jun 2021, 1:45 am

Christopher Nolan is a fantastic filmmaker Queen Elizabeth should knight him.