Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Champagne supernova
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

03 May 2021, 4:52 pm

I don't think this man has made a bad film in his life. Interstellar, the Batman films and Inception. Has been a breath of fresh air!

cbd
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 May 2021, 4:56 pm

What are Your Thoughts on Tenet ?

Champagne supernova

03 May 2021, 5:22 pm

I do like to go camping, it does depend on the weather though!

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2021, 6:17 pm

I never got a chance to see Tenet, but many people who saw it said it wasn't a good movie.

(Incoherent plot, crappy sound quality, and over-the-top CG have been cited by many as reasons.)

As for his movies outside of The Dark Knight Trilogy, I say his best films
are Memento and Inception.

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2021, 6:55 pm

Memento was good, the Batman films are -like most superhero films - fascist propaganda, didn't see Interstellar and Inception and Tenet are proof positive that "complicated" doesn't make a silly film complex.

Oh god, Tenet was silly AND boring.

Edit: I've also actually been to most cities Tenet was shot in - but in the film, the actual places and the places they are supposed to be are all mixed up, which made it additionally hard to follow. Tallinn had to stand in for basically every city east of Berlin.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2021, 9:24 pm

When I watched Interstellar just once during its theatrical run, I looked at my watch and thought to myself, "When is this movie going to be over?"

:roll:

MidnightRose
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 May 2021, 3:48 am

Batman movies: Haven't seen them in ages, remember loving Dark Knight and being disappointed by Rises
Inception: Great filmmaking, but ultimately a less inspired version of Paprika
Interstellar: Dissapointing, silly ending
Tenet: I genuinely really liked it and don't get the hate

cbd
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 May 2021, 8:56 am

AnonymousAnonymous wrote:
I never got a chance to see Tenet, but many people who saw it said it wasn't a good movie.

(Incoherent plot, crappy sound quality, and over-the-top CG have been cited by many as reasons.)

As for his movies outside of The Dark Knight Trilogy, I say his best films
are Memento and Inception.

in the first minute of starting the film i was ready to turn it off . the acting of main character felt poor . but after this opening scene it was alot better than i thought .

it did feel very thin .. but coukd have easily become a top film . i think the issue being , alot of the scenarios we've seen many times over .. even some of the camera shots (almost identical to other specific Nolan Scenes)

However , i Did like concept of Time Alteration and the Whole Reversing Time aspect . i Guess if You Like these Mind Alterring Concepts like that in Inception you will more invested in the film .. than a casual entertainment watch .

Anything that Makes You Perceive reality different is good with me .

Nothing stands out though that would make me want to rewatch any time Soon .

Inception i had to watch 4 times because certain scenes made my brain switch off .. lol

cbd
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 May 2021, 8:58 am

shlaifu wrote:
Memento was good, the Batman films are -like most superhero films - fascist propaganda, didn't see Interstellar and Inception and Tenet are proof positive that "complicated" doesn't make a silly film complex.

Edit: I've also actually been to most cities Tenet was shot in - but in the film, the actual places and the places they are supposed to be are all mixed up, which made it additionally hard to follow. Tallinn had to stand in for basically every city east of Berlin.

Nice .. interesting you mention this . i guess only a person such as yourself having visiteed these places would pick up locational incongruencey .

i Do Think in Temet the Main Character is what we should be getting from a Bond Film . The Bond Films are too Swag .. and less slick

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2021, 9:00 am

Until I noticed this thread, I had never heard of Christopher Nolan; but then, I am not much into metaphysical topics.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Champagne supernova

04 May 2021, 9:31 am

Well my girlfriend bought me the batman dvd trilogy for my birthday. And not being a superhero movie fan I was a bit sceptical. But after watching them I would say they are close to being the best films I've ever seen in my life. Gary Oldman, Aaron Eckhart, Christian Bale, Morgan Freeman, Michael Caine, Liam Neeson, and others. These actors can carry a film on their own, all of them together paint a tapestry so rare you will want to watch these films over and over.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2021, 12:50 am

Love the Nolan brothers, I was pretty obsessed with Memento back when it came out, one of the first DVDs I ever bought.
Haven't seen all of their movies, yet: I still need to see Inception, Dunkirk (I bought it on BD from Family Video, RIP), and Tenet.

BTW, Christopher frequently collaborates with his brother Jonathan (he writes or co-writes a lot of the scripts), and his television adaptation of Westworld is also really good.
Looks like he had another TV show called Person of Interest, which I've never even heard of.

shlaifu wrote:

I know what you mean, it's also a little bit distracting. I'm not super familiar with Grand Rapids, but the whole time I watched 30 Minutes or Less, I was mostly just watching the scenery. "Oh hey, it's that bridge!"

Also Somewhere in Time, not quite as distracting, but I've been to Mackinac Island quite a few times now, so it's cool to see those locations used in the movie, and vice versa (all of the tourist maps have a bunch of movie landmarks pointed out, though I think two of them have been moved or destroyed).

Or heck, even TV shows/movies that are supposed to take place in big American cities but are obviously filmed in Canada... :roll:

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2021, 10:10 pm

Fnord wrote:
Until I noticed this thread, I had never heard of Christopher Nolan; but then, I am not much into metaphysical topics.

IMO, watch Memento first, then watch Nolan's other films in any order you see fit.

Champagne supernova

06 May 2021, 11:40 am

I don't watch new films as they are mostly too woke or they have to have an all female cast or they have to have this many actors from a certain ethnics group. I would say the last good film that came out was birdbox with Sandra bullock in.

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2021, 8:37 pm

Champagne supernova wrote:
I don't watch new films as they are mostly too woke or they have to have an all female cast or they have to have this many actors from a certain ethnics group. I would say the last good film that came out was birdbox with Sandra bullock in.

I recommend 'the house that jack built' then. It's new-ish. It's got Matt Dillon and Uma Thurmann. And it's pretty, pretty far from an all-female remake of some 80s comedy.

In all seriousness, non-American cinema (even if it has American actors in it) is just much less ... American.

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2021, 8:53 pm

cbd wrote:
shlaifu wrote:

Nice .. interesting you mention this . i guess only a person such as yourself having visiteed these places would pick up locational incongruencey .

i Do Think in Temet the Main Character is what we should be getting from a Bond Film . The Bond Films are too Swag .. and less slick

The opening scene with the Russian "opera house" - the outside shots were shot in Tallinn, at the harbour. There's a huge soviet structure that doesn't seem to have had any purpose other than being some sort of bunker-shaped architectural irnament tgere to greet people arriving by ferry. It houses a night club, and it's pretty run down - but in the film, it serves as an opera house... Actual Opera houses in Easyern Europe tend to be neoclassical, very ornate - not brutalist concrete.

And yeah, I do get it was supposed to be a james bondish spy thriller, but the problem was for me that once it was properly established that parts of the action were running backwards, my brain went: "don't worry about confusing scenes, I bet it'll be explained later, when the film runs backwards".
And so it happened. But I had stopped caring.
It was like a puzzle of which you know you can't solve it, until you get the vital pieces of which you know you will get them in about an hour. So why care until you get the missing pieces? - but me getting the pieces was supposed to be the epiphany the film was providing. It just didn't feel like an epiphany, but I felt like mumbling "what took you so long?", when Nolan finally came to give me the missing pieces