honeytoast wrote:
Just send emus over.

Dont laugh!

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2021, 6:06 am

auntblabby wrote:
what exactly IS it, that Australia must do in order to make practical the "more powerful" bit?

Develop the economy to pay for the defence initiatives.

Recently, $275 Billion was added to the military coffers.
I heard something about the inclusion of long-range missiles.
We need to make ourselves not worth the effort

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2021, 6:45 am

judging by how much we spend, i suspect 275 bil is but a drop in the bucket.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2021, 1:14 pm

auntblabby wrote:

Australia, Canada, and the US, are all roughly the same physical size. But when I was in public school in circa 1970 Canada had one tenth of our population, and Australia one twentieth of our population size. The gap is probably less now. But still...

a) so multiply that 275 billion figure by twenty - and that gives a rule of thumb comparison to the US defense budget- relative to the sizes of the respective countries. It would be as if Trump or Biden were to add five or six trillion dollars to our defense budget in a relative terms.

b) military power is intertwined with population size. We all worry about overpopulation these days. But we dont complain about it times of total war. No one said that there were "too many Americans at Normandy beach, or too many Americans at Iwo Jima". A thinly populated country like Australia will always be weak, and will always rely on alliances -with Britain, with the US, with America's Asian allies (the Phillipines, Japan, and South Korea), and maybe the EU, against a neighborhood bully like China. The one silver lining is that China's best buddy, Putin, has even MORE to fear from China than Australia does. Siberia is a mineral rich thinly populated region much like Australia. But unlike Australia it actually borders China. China may...smoke some bath salts someday...and chew its best friends face off! :lol:

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2021, 6:56 am

^I doubt it.
The ccp would see Australia as within their political sphere of influence, resource saturated, a massive landmass that is essentially vacant where the deserts can be altered, a la Israel.
It would also deny Australia being a base for America.

I think it inevitable that the ccp will swallow Australia eventually if it lives long enough.
I just hope I die from old age beforehand. 8)
Thankfully, I have no children and don't have to fret in that aspect. :mrgreen:

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2021, 7:02 am

auntblabby wrote:

It's a start.

Agreed, Australia doesn't have a hope in hell against the ccp, on its own.
But we have allies in the Asian area (The Quad) as well as America & Britain.

And putin like koalas, so I hear. :mrgreen:

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2021, 2:13 am

Quote:
China 'incredibly aggressive' towards Australia
16/06/2021|7min

Former UK High Commissioner Alexander Downer says China has been incredibly aggressive towards Australia and the west.

“I think what’s really good about the G7 meeting is that we’ve sent a very strong message to China,” Mr Downer told Sky News.

Mr Downer said despite the current tensions, Australia wants to engage with China.

“I hope that the Chinese do understand what damage they’ve done over the last few years.

"But we want to engage with them.”

https://www.skynews.com.au/details/_625 ... 20%20share

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2021, 6:24 pm

Quote:
Katter accuses China of bullying following UN recommendation
22/06/2021|3min

Bob Katter has accused China of bullying amid concerns it is influencing the UN to downgrade the status of the Great Barrier Reef to “in danger”.

The United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organisation (UNESCO) made the draft recommendation, citing climate change as a cause.

Environment Minister Sussan Ley said she believes Australia has been blindsided by the call and the government will challenge it.

Sky News understands there is a growing level of concern within government regarding China’s influence within UNESCO.

“China is availing itself of another bullying operation against us," Mr Katter said.

https://www.skynews.com.au/details/_626 ... 20%20share

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2021, 1:08 am

Quote:
Joyce: China's new world order is Australia's greatest existential threat

China's quest to create a "new world order" is Australia’s greatest existential threat, said new Deputy Prime Minister Barnaby Joyce in an exclusive Sky News Australia interview.
Jonathan TalbotDeputy Editor
less than 2 min read
July 6, 2021 - 12:34PM

https://www.skynews.com.au/australia-ne ... 20%20share

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2021, 1:32 am

i hope it doesn't come to this, but mebbe Australia could do for china what france did with the soviets, make them an offer they can't so easily refuse [all their nukes pointed straight at moscow].

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2021, 2:36 am

auntblabby wrote:
i hope it doesn't come to this, but mebbe Australia could do for china what france did with the soviets, make them an offer they can't so easily refuse [all their nukes pointed straight at moscow].

Not sure what this thing about France is that you are talking about.

But yes, Australia could sink money into building nukes, and then into building an ICBM delivery system on its soil, to lob those nukes into cities in China's heartland in case China tries something.

Despite being physically big on the map Australia has a small population, and thus a small GNP. So that is a big expense for a small population country. But it might be cost effective anyway.

Fun fact: I just now learned that Australia is the 53rd largest nation in the world in population size. Guess what country is right next to it on the list at fifty four?

Hint: both are on the Pacific, and 54 just recently started to squander money on nukes! Both have around 26 million people.

North Korea!

South Korea is smaller than the north in physical size, but has a population bigger than North Korea and Australia put together!.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2021, 3:05 am

Australia also could recruit the best hackers it can buy, and hit china that way as well.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2021, 7:55 pm

auntblabby wrote:

We don't have nukes.
We don't even have a nuclear industry that would reduce CO2 emissions.
The left-wing nonsense is astounding, with its ideology dominating pragmatism and simple good judgement.
Even some high profile hardcore leftists/environmentalists strongly advocate the embracing of nuclear energy.

Back on topic:
If china takes over Australia, do the left-wingers think their property/wealth won't be taken away from them?
Bwahahaha.
Talk about being naive. :lmao: