Conflict with China a ‘high likelihood’, says top Australian

Page 1 of 5 [ 78 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2021, 5:11 pm

Quote:
Conflict with China a ‘high likelihood’, says top Australian general

One of the nation’s top military commanders told his troops that Beijing is already engaged in “grey zone” warfare against Australia and they must plan for the high likelihood this may spill over into actual conflict in the future.

The candid and confidential briefing by Major-General Adam Findlay to Australia’s special forces soldiers last year gives the most detailed insight yet made public into how the nation’s top military planners view the threat of China.

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal ... 57ogv.html

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2021, 12:55 am

Quote:
Australia is 'being more realistic' about possibility of war with China
04/05/2021|7min

Australia is “more realistic about where we are” in relation to war with China than the United States is, according to former US naval intelligence officer John Jordan.

“The trick is understanding concepts that exist on a spectrum, it’s not all or nothing, it’s not military action or peace, there’s economic, there’s political, there’s intelligence, there’s different domains to conflict,” he told Sky News.

“Right now the United States and Australia are engaged in several levels of some domains of conflict with China already, it hasn’t escalated, it hasn’t gotten very hot but certainly in terms economics that conflict has gone to a different level now.”

Mr Jordan said one of the issues with the conflict brewing between China, and the United States and Australia is the lack of “coherent strategy” when it comes to dealing with China and it reflects on how US President Joe Biden is seen.

“The Chinese do not take Biden seriously when he is yet to articulate a clear policy towards Asia.”

Last edited by magz on 09 May 2021, 4:24 am, edited 1 time in total.: Video link fixed

Hollywood_Guy
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2021, 1:18 am

In Australia, of all places. Wow.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2021, 1:37 am

War isn't realistic, war is pointless & stupid. It's not some practical, realist suggestion to start a war.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

MrsPeel
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2021, 4:21 am

I don't think anyone here is saying they want a war.
But the potential is certainly there.
It all comes down to what countries like Japan, Australia, and the US decide to do when China tries to take Taiwan.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2021, 8:18 pm

MrsPeel wrote:
I don't think anyone here is saying they want a war.
But the potential is certainly there.
It all comes down to what countries like Japan, Australia, and the US decide to do when China tries to take Taiwan.

:thumright:

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2021, 9:40 pm

the rest of the world will turn its collective back when china eats Taiwan. it will be shameful. we didn't do a GD thing when it started munching on Hong Kong. we didn't do a gd thing when they started genocidal operations on the Uighurs. it is not gonna look good.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2021, 9:44 pm

short of WMD, what china will do with its millions upon millions of conscript soldiers, is physically and numerically overwhelm on the battlefield like they did in the korean war when my dad's 11B colleagues' machine gun barrels overheated and warped, yet the surviving chinese conscripts simply picked up the weapons of the dead and proceeded unabated, and when they ran out of ammo they bayoneted and bashed, or picked up sticks and rocks and used them as weapons. they were as possessed beings.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2021, 3:12 am

auntblabby wrote:
the rest of the world will turn its collective back when china eats Taiwan. it will be shameful. we didn't do a GD thing when it started munching on Hong Kong. we didn't do a gd thing when they started genocidal operations on the Uighurs. it is not gonna look good.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2021, 5:02 am

Yeah, so Scomo has done nothing constructive other than put Australian businesses, jobs and lives at risk. Great job.

MrsPeel
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2021, 5:54 am

Huh. I was in the middle of typing a response saying it's not just Scomo's fault and China's bullying is getting worse over time, and my computer crashed for no reason.
I don't normally go in for conspiracy theories, but that was weird 8O

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2021, 6:34 am

MrsPeel wrote:
Huh. I was in the middle of typing a response saying it's not just Scomo's fault and China's bullying is getting worse over time, and my computer crashed for no reason.

China is like a dangerous animal and you need to handle them correctly.

MrsPeel
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2021, 7:03 am

Oh I agree Scomo was very thoughtless and undiplomatic in the way he publicly called for an investigation into the source of the covid outbreak. Putting China offside just to score a few political points at home I guess. Typical of his arrogant attitude.

But I'm also very wary of China nowadays, with the rise of extreme nationalistic sentiment and its aggressive policies in various areas, such as naval expansions into the South China Sea, crackdowns in Hong Kong and the criminal treatment of the Uighurs. Not to mention spies in high places and cyberattacks within Australia.

Honestly, they've got me rattled - and I'm praying their nationalism doesn't exceed common sense and lead to conflict.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2021, 3:41 pm

MrsPeel wrote:

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2021, 3:43 pm

MrsPeel wrote:
Oh I agree Scomo was very thoughtless and undiplomatic in the way he publicly called for an investigation into the source of the covid outbreak. Putting China offside just to score a few political points at home I guess. Typical of his arrogant attitude.

MrsPeel wrote:
But I'm also very wary of China nowadays, with the rise of extreme nationalistic sentiment and its aggressive policies in various areas, such as naval expansions into the South China Sea, crackdowns in Hong Kong and the criminal treatment of the Uighurs. Not to mention spies in high places and cyberattacks within Australia.

Honestly, they've got me rattled - and I'm praying their nationalism doesn't exceed common sense and lead to conflict.

Hollywood_Guy
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2021, 3:02 pm

auntblabby wrote:

but "MUH WE MUST GET RID OF EVIL TRUMP"