Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Verity2006
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 May 2021, 5:45 am

Hello my name is Verity. I was recently diagnosed and I'm finding it all very confusing and hard. I've no friends to help me through this and my family aren't really understanding of it all. I have a bad stutter and find it difficult communicating so if anyone can help me with that I'd be really grateful. I'm here to better understand myself and hopefully get some help and make some friends.

Nice to meet you.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2021, 10:38 am

Sigh. 14.

Welcome to WP. I think you will find some nice folk here.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2021, 11:16 am

Hello. :) Welcome to this site.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2021, 6:48 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :D

I was diagnosed when I was 13 and have accepted it as a part of my human essence.

You will befriend good people here on WP.

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2021, 6:55 pm

welcome

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2021, 8:04 pm

Verity2006 wrote:
Hello my name is Verity. I was recently diagnosed and I'm finding it all very confusing and hard. I've no friends to help me through this and my family aren't really understanding of it all. I have a bad stutter and find it difficult communicating so if anyone can help me with that I'd be really grateful. I'm here to better understand myself and hopefully get some help and make some friends.

Nice to meet you.

Hi Verity!

My advice to anyone with a speech impairment of any kind:

If you possibly can, and if you don't already live in a neighborhood that fits the following description: Move (or ask your family to move) to a highly multicultural neighborhood, with lots of immigrants from all over the world, and with no one dominant ethnic group.

My boyfriend has a speech impairment and was harassed for it for his entire life, until he moved into my neighborhood. Here, his speech impairment is just another accent. Also, people in this neighborhood are accustomed to having to pay close attention in order to understand what another person is saying.

For similar reasons, a cosmopolitan neighborhood like mine is a good place for just about anyone on the autism spectrum who wants to avoid the mental health hazards of heavy-duty masking. In such a neighborhood, there is no one standard of body language, etc., that everyone conforms to, so you don't stick out nearly as much as you would in a culturally homogeneous neighborhood.

aquafelix
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2021, 3:59 am

Hi Verity,

A warm welcome to the tribe! I've found Wrong Planet to be a wonderfully diverse bunch of what regular people might call oddballs and misfits. We are all different, but also have much in common. I think you will find some helpful wisdom and guidance from the members here who have had longer time to come to terms with their autism.

longshot
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2021, 7:11 pm

Greetings and welcome to WrongPlanet

NumberFive
Butterfly
Butterfly

13 May 2021, 10:09 pm

Welcome! :heart: :heart: :heart:

I've been like this all my life so I don't think changing is a realistic option. I'm going for acceptance and maybe even celebration.