I Got Bored So I Signed Up For A Filipino Dating Site.

Page 2 of 6 [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2021, 1:03 am

salad wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
salad wrote:
I dont understand why everyone is treating Lunella as racist when as someone himself whose parents are immigrants it is a fact amongst almost every immigrant I know, be they Pakistani, Algerian, Turk, Somali etc. that many people in the 3rd world are desperate gold diggers when it comes to the West and that they assume if someone is from America that they're financially loaded and that marrying them is a ticket to a better life. Heck, in my own family several of my own aunts and cousins later on admitted to marrying white men so they can come to America and get their green card, and they didnt give a damn about the man they married. .

Well that's true also but you can't generalise to all people in those countries. Somali women its almost impossible to marry outside of their community.

They can if that person is also a Somali who just happens to be an American naturalized citizen. That's where this phenomena comes from. It isn't just marrying whites, its actually marrying anyone from America thinking they're loaded. This happens a lot more than you know, and I know 1st hand since my own brother whose disabled randomly had a woman from Libya express interest in him, until she found out my brother isn't as rich as she assumed then cancelled it off.

Yeah I believe that

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

05 May 2021, 1:39 am

salad wrote:
I dont understand why everyone is treating Lunella as racist when as someone himself whose parents are immigrants it is a fact amongst almost every immigrant I know, be they Pakistani, Algerian, Turk, Somali etc. that many people in the 3rd world are desperate gold diggers when it comes to the West and that they assume if someone is from America that they're financially loaded and that marrying them is a ticket to a better life. Heck, in my own family several of my own aunts and cousins later on admitted to marrying white men so they can come to America and get their green card, and they didnt give a damn about the man they married. If I had a dollar for every single American, including and especially including American of immigrant background like my family members, who complained about being hoodwinked by a girl they thought liked them from overseas who turned out to just wanted a green card, I would be rich. The phenomena of being wary of marrying people outside of America or falling in love with them isn't even racist or necessarily recent against brown immigrants: in Arthur Miller's famous play "A View From the Bridge" the plot of that story centers around the main character Eddie Carbone not wanting his niece to marry an Italian immigrant fearing that he was a "submarine", i.e. someone who comes to America and marries one of the white woman to get their green card.

It's a real phenomena and if you people only knew what people around the world actually thought of America as you'd understand where this fear comes from. My sister has traveled across practically the entire Middle East and parts of Asia and she, as corroborated by many other immigrants I know, said that in many poorer countries the people view Americans as being loaded with cash. Even I myself whenever I go overseas to visit my home country of Palestine as someone as the locals detect Im from America by my accent I get accosted and haggled for money.
The issue I have is that it sounded to me like she was implying that all women there who were willing to marry a guy in another country & relocate were like that. I'm sorry if I misunderstood Lunella if that is not what she meant. I'm very used to others misunderstanding me & putting words in my mouth so I shoulda gave her the benefit of the doubt. I'm sorry Lunella. I'm upset by some stuff & I haven't got enough sleep the last couple days. I should probably stay out of heated discussions for a couple days/nights after I post this.

Getting back on topic, I am sure there are more than a few women there & in other countries who are really only wanting a green card & money. However I do not think that all women there who are willing to marry a guy in another country are expecting the guy to take care of them them & do all the work 1ce they get here. I've heard from some guys who married women from there & from other countries & some of those guys found their wives to be very attentive & eager to please them even after being married more than a few years. It is quite possible that some of those women really are faking it because of the way they were brought up & being afraid of going back to that kinda life if the guy gets upset with them but even if they are faking it, I personally would much rather have that kinda fake relationship than being single. If that kinda relationship works for both of them weather they legitimately love each other or not, I just do not see what the problem is as long as they are both happy with the arrangement.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

weirdperson75000
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 May 2021, 1:53 am

salad wrote:
I dont understand why everyone is treating Lunella as racist when as someone himself whose parents are immigrants it is a fact amongst almost every immigrant I know, be they Pakistani, Algerian, Turk, Somali etc. that many people in the 3rd world are desperate gold diggers when it comes to the West and that they assume if someone is from America that they're financially loaded and that marrying them is a ticket to a better life. Heck, in my own family several of my own aunts and cousins later on admitted to marrying white men so they can come to America and get their green card, and they didnt give a damn about the man they married. If I had a dollar for every single American, including and especially including American of immigrant background like my family members, who complained about being hoodwinked by a girl they thought liked them from overseas who turned out to just wanted a green card, I would be rich. The phenomena of being wary of marrying people outside of America or falling in love with them isn't even racist or necessarily recent against brown immigrants: in Arthur Miller's famous play "A View From the Bridge" the plot of that story centers around the main character Eddie Carbone not wanting his niece to marry an Italian immigrant fearing that he was a "submarine", i.e. someone who comes to America and marries one of the white woman to get their green card.

It's a real phenomena and if you people only knew what people around the world actually thought of America as you'd understand where this fear comes from. My sister has traveled across practically the entire Middle East and parts of Asia and she, as corroborated by many other immigrants I know, said that in many poorer countries the people view Americans as being loaded with cash. Even I myself whenever I go overseas to visit my home country of Palestine as someone as the locals detect Im from America by my accent I get accosted and haggled for money.

I actually second that :?

In this case, Muse said he was hardly getting any matches on Tinder in America (or in whatever country he is from) and, suddenly, he gets a lot of attention ...... I don't think that filipinas are any different from western girls regarding sexual attraction or beauty standards.

I would advise him to be careful :!:

bottleblank
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 May 2021, 2:10 am

weirdperson75000 wrote:

In this case, Muse said he was hardly getting any matches on Tinder in America (or in whatever country he is from) and, suddenly, he gets a lot of attention ...... I don't think that filipinas are any different from western girls regarding sexual attraction or beauty standards.

I was a little taken aback by the weight of Lunella's post and I do think it was probably a bit heavy-handed to stereotype to that extent, but without specifically labelling any country's people as gold-digging fraudsters I do think there's merit to the advice suggesting caution.

It applies broadly though, rather than specifically. I wouldn't go to the extent of the 1990s fear of online dating where everybody's supposedly a violent murdering thief, but in any situation where you're opening up vulnerabilities to another person with the goal of becoming involved with them it pays to have your wits about you until you've been with them enough to have a good handle on what they're actually like. The internet does have its share of people who will pretend to be something they're not so they can steal or abuse, even outside of dating apps, there's spammers, scammers, catfishing, etc.

That's not to say you shouldn't be able to go and enjoy dating, obviously there needs to be some level of trust and expectation that not everybody is trying to rip you off, but suddenly receiving piles of inviting-looking attention would set off my alarm bells too. It could just be that there's a different group of people there who appreciate different things, or perhaps they have a harder time finding partners locally, or are maybe specifically interested in dating somebody from another culture. But do take care, just in case, it's only sensible.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

05 May 2021, 2:16 am

weirdperson75000 wrote:

I completely agree about him being careful. However I do think there can sometimes be much much more to a romantic relationship than sexual attraction & beauty standards. People in different environments can sometimes have very different priorities in life & with romantic relationships. Some Aspies on this forum have found successful relationships by dating people from different cultures. For example The_Face_of_Boo tends to date women who are in his country on work visas. He himself claims to be very different than the typical people in his country & since he is so different than the norm, he may not be a good match for the stereotypical woman in his country. That said it does NOT mean he is a great match for every non-native woman there & some of the non-natives can be bad people. bottleblank is completely rite about people needing to have their wits about them when considering dating situations like that.
I really should go eat now & get off of WP for the rest of the night

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2021, 2:21 am

nick007 wrote:
salad wrote:

The issue I have is that it sounded to me like she was implying that all women there who were willing to marry a guy in another country & relocate were like that. I'm sorry if I misunderstood Lunella if that is not what she meant. I'm very used to others misunderstanding me & putting words in my mouth so I shoulda gave her the benefit of the doubt. I'm sorry Lunella. I'm upset by some stuff & I haven't got enough sleep the last couple days. I should probably stay out of heated discussions for a couple days/nights after I post this.

Getting back on topic, I am sure there are more than a few women there & in other countries who are really only wanting a green card & money. However I do not think that all women there who are willing to marry a guy in another country are expecting the guy to take care of them them & do all the work 1ce they get here. I've heard from some guys who married women from there & from other countries & some of those guys found their wives to be very attentive & eager to please them even after being married more than a few years. It is quite possible that some of those women really are faking it because of the way they were brought up & being afraid of going back to that kinda life if the guy gets upset with them but even if they are faking it, I personally would much rather have that kinda fake relationship than being single. If that kinda relationship works for both of them weather they legitimately love each other or not, I just do not see what the problem is as long as they are both happy with the arrangement.

The thing is that this is always being repeated by some whenever one mentions Asian women here.

So it does seem to be like a racial based stereotype.

salad
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2021, 2:31 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
nick007 wrote:
salad wrote:

The thing is that this is always being repeated by some whenever one mentions Asian women here.

Those people are for sure racist.

However, the idea of Americans of all races and even immigrant backgrounds being wary of meeting partners overseas from poor countries is a lot more universal than you realize. A famous American playwright by the name of Arthur Miller made such a phenomena the centerpoint of his play "A View From the Bridge" and made it where the main character Eddie Carbone was afraid of niece Beatrice from marrying an Italian immigrant because of the fear he's only marrying her for the Green Card. And mind you these are Italians this play was referring to. Italian men to be specific.

In my own family my brother with disabilities had a random girl from Libya message him on a Muslim dating app. Everyone in our family had a strong hunch that this was a scam and that she was only interested in his money and him being a Palestinian American. My brother never listened. When said Libyan woman found out my brother isn't rich somehow she disappeared.

Not to mention even in my own family I have aunts and cousins on record who admitted to marrying their husbands just to get the Green card and live here in America.

Master Oogway

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2021, 3:40 am

salad wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
nick007 wrote:
salad wrote:

However, the idea of Americans of all races and even immigrant backgrounds being wary of meeting partners overseas from poor countries is a lot more universal than you realize. A famous American playwright by the name of Arthur Miller made such a phenomena the centerpoint of his play "A View From the Bridge" and made it where the main character Eddie Carbone was afraid of niece Beatrice from marrying an Italian immigrant because of the fear he's only marrying her for the Green Card. And mind you these are Italians this play was referring to. Italian men to be specific.

In my own family my brother with disabilities had a random girl from Libya message him on a Muslim dating app. Everyone in our family had a strong hunch that this was a scam and that she was only interested in his money and him being a Palestinian American. My brother never listened. When said Libyan woman found out my brother isn't rich somehow she disappeared.

Not to mention even in my own family I have aunts and cousins on record who admitted to marrying their husbands just to get the Green card and live here in America.

Desiring to marry a rich man is not exclusive for migrants though. Your aunts and cousins happen to be gold diggers, sorry to say it. :P

Gold digging is a cross-borders universal things, and it takes many shapes.

Dating apps are full of scams to begin with.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2021, 4:02 am

gold digging unites all cultures :lol:

salad
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2021, 4:17 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
salad wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
nick007 wrote:
salad wrote:

Desiring to marry a rich man is not exclusive for migrants though. Your aunts and cousins happen to be gold diggers, sorry to say it. :P

Offense not taken. I myself despise my aunts and cousins who married decent and hardworking American men, some white most Arab Americans, just for financial gain and to get their green card. It makes me ashamed of their lack of scruples and it horrifies me a great deal.

Master Oogway

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2021, 6:56 am

salad wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
salad wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
nick007 wrote:
salad wrote:

Offense not taken. I myself despise my aunts and cousins who married decent and hardworking American men, some white most Arab Americans, just for financial gain and to get their green card. It makes me ashamed of their lack of scruples and it horrifies me a great deal.

Girls in our part of the world are raised on the idea “تزوجي واحد مرتاح".

And the Meher thing, all ingrain gold digging persona in them.

But again, it’s a phenomena that exists everywhere and expressed differently per culture.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2021, 8:05 am

salad wrote:
What if I told you that my family comes from a poor country and almost everything Lunella said can be corroborated??
What if I told you that I believe whenever a person makes apologies for other people's racist rants, that person is engaging in Racism by Proxy?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

05 May 2021, 8:46 am

! magz wrote:
I will not remove Lunella's post as I believe it has spawned a valid discussion; however, please, avoid this level of generalization in the future. It's offensive to many WP members, their close friends and families.

Advice to be careful on international dating sites is, independently from this all, sound and reasonable.
Scam is a real danger, love-starved people are commonly targeted.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2021, 8:49 am

Thanks, Magz!

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Muse933277
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2021, 9:20 am

The question is, how do I know who is real and who is fake?

I mean, I want to believe that some of these women are actually interested in me and aren't trying to scam me but like one poster said, if i'm hardly getting attention in the west, and then all of a sudden, i'm getting a decent amount of attention from filipino girls, maybe they're all trying to take advantage of me because they think i'm rich.

BUT iv'e also heard that many filipino girls love white guys and their standard of beauty is different which explains why I can go on Tinder and get 100+ matches in that country. The question is WHY do they like white guys? Do they like white guys because they genuinely see them as more attractive? OR do they only like white guys because they see them as rich and as a potential green card?

And then the next question would be HOW do I make myself less of a target for potential scammers or women looking for green cards? One way I thought of was mentioning to the girl that i'm not looking to get married, or that I have to know someone for 3+ years before considering marriage. Most women who are just looking for green cards would realize that i'm a waste of time and likely move on to another guy who wants to get married sooner.

Also, i'll never send money no matter what. If a woman ever asks for money, I will be honest with her and say "I'm going to be honest with you, i'm not going to send money. If this is the kind of relationship you're looking for, then I would suggest you look elsewhere"

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2021, 9:45 am

Muse933277 wrote:
The question is, how do I know who is real and who is fake? [...]
In the same ways you would determine if a person from your own country, city, or neighborhood is fake.

• If a person starts asking for money right away and tells you a story that would make a Nigerian "Prince" envious, then you may be the target of a scam.

• If a person starts telling you truthful things about you and the people you know, he or she may actually be a stalker (or just a private detective).

• When "she" sends you a photo, use Goggle's image search to see if the image is actually that of a famous model or actress.  Also check for evidence of the image being photoshopped.  Either of these may indicate that the person with whom you are communicating is not the person in the picture, and that the person who sent it is actually a man -- one who looks nothing like the image you have received.

• If the person with whom you correspond pledges "her" instant and undying love for you, or otherwise tries to push the relationship along too fast, then "she" may indeed be desperate for a relationship with you.

When dealing with any new person or "love interest" (and even some seemingly regular people you only think you know), it is always best to be cautious and not rush into a commitment and/or intimacy with a virtual stranger.

As far as Philippinas go, my personal experience and observations indicate that the good ones will expect you to prove your sincerity and honorable intentions before they will even go on a date with you.  This is not "playing hard to get", as the people of the Philippines know what it is like to be deceived, oppressed, and exploited by foreigners -- American, Chinese, Japanese, and Spanish, to be specific.  This is not BS; it is part of their documented history.