Page 1 of 5 [ 80 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2021, 6:07 pm

Just days after Disneyland has reopened with an update to its Snow White attraction, the move is already receiving backlash.
“The Snow White attraction has such a rich history,” Kim Irvine, creative executive for Disneyland Resort and Walt Disney Imagineering, said in a statement. “We wanted to take into account the beautiful scenic work that has always existed and retell the story in a special way. We believe guests will enjoy this sweet storyline in a stunning experience.”
However, it’s the “true love’s kiss” grand finale between Snow White and her Prince that is drawing scrutiny from newspaper, the San Francisco Gate.
“The new grand finale of Snow White’s Enchanted Wish is the moment when the Prince finds Snow White asleep under the Evil Queen’s spell and gives her “true love’s kiss” to release her from the enchantment,” the outlet writes.
“A kiss he gives to her without her consent, while she’s asleep, which cannot possibly be true love if only one person knows it’s happening.
“Haven’t we already agreed that consent in early Disney movies is a major issue? That teaching kids that kissing, when it hasn’t been established if both parties are willing to engage, is not OK?,” The San Francisco Gate continues.
“It’s hard to understand why the Disneyland of 2021 would choose to add a scene with such old fashioned ideas of what a man is allowed to do to a woman, especially given the company’s current emphasis on removing problematic scenes from rides like Jungle Cruise and Splash Mountain.

Is the prince wrong for kissing Snow white without her consent?

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2021, 7:43 pm

The ones who think this is wrong need their heads examined.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2021, 7:49 pm

Oh, for f*cks sake!

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2021, 7:50 pm

The issue seems to be peeceived as whether kids should be exposed to a horny prince kissing a girl without her consent

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2021, 7:51 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Oh, for f*cks sake!

:lol:

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2021, 7:55 pm

Question. Should we ban television? It would solve the problem.

old_comedywriter
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2021, 7:55 pm

As long as there was no tongue...

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2021, 7:59 pm

Note to self: since stroke victims, heart attack victims, seizure victims, are by definition incapable of giving consent, thereby making it morally wrong for me to assist them without their consent, then it is also morally wrong for me to get refresher training on how to provide emergency care.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2021, 8:00 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:

I think this scene is likely to be cut

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2021, 8:00 pm

kitesandtrainsandcats wrote:
Note to self: since stroke victims, heart attack victims, seizure victims, are by definition incapable of giving consent, thereby making it morally wrong for me to assist them without their consent, then it is also morally wrong for me to get refresher training on how to provide emergency care.

interesting anology

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2021, 8:09 pm

We now return to our original programming.

This from 2016 may be of interest, https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/mov ... /78796158/

Quote:
Snow White’s dashing true love was originally a very fresh Prince.

Storyboards unearthed for Disney’s Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs show a very different introduction to the gallant Prince from the 1937 classic animated film. Early plans had him stealing a kiss from the beautiful Snow White immediately upon meeting her.

The startling kiss never made it to the film.

“He was a bit of what you would call a masher. That was way too forward for the Prince,” says Fox Carney, manager of research at the Walt Disney Animation Research Library. “A viewer would think, 'If I were Snow White and the Prince came up and kissed me without having met me, I’d slap him.' That wasn’t the story you'd want to tell.”

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2021, 8:12 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Mountain Goat wrote:

But then how does the prince bring Snow White back to life without a kiss? It just wouldn't make sense. But then again, neither does this whole controversy.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2021, 8:20 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Mountain Goat wrote:

But then how does the prince bring Snow White back to life without a kiss? It just wouldn't make sense. But then again, neither does this whole controversy.

Yes it's problematic since "true love's kiss" is the whole basis of the snow white tale

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2021, 8:41 pm

cyberdad wrote:
kitesandtrainsandcats wrote:

interesting anology

I say that that way because I can't remember ever NOT understanding that the kiss had the purpose of waking her up from the effects of the poison.

The older I got the less I watched TV and movies but as a child I did see Disney's Snow White in the theatre and it was read to me and I did read it on my own when I could read.

And I will say again that the story showed that specific kiss was related to the poison.

Maybe it is a sign of some kind of personal psychological defect but I don't recall ever reading that kiss in to real life in the real world - It's a friggin fairy tale you Einsteins!

Last edited by kitesandtrainsandcats on 04 May 2021, 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2021, 9:01 pm

Yeah it's interesting how old movies are reviewed in the light of modern paradigms/values.

The #Metoo movement almost certainly forced a review of misogyny in quaint children's stories, cartoons or movies, Their reasoning is that children are susceptible to internalising visual cues and don't have the cognitive maturity to know that the prince was only trying to save Snow white (I wonder if I am getting mixed up with sleeping beauty as well?).

On the other hand children think kissing is "yucky" so perhaps they think the prince is being brave?

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2021, 9:10 pm

Just decided to say some more.
In mid 1980s I started nursing school with intent of becoming an RN than an EMT but after about a year my own less than perfect health put an end to that.

:arrow: Now, back to consent.
The Prince kissing Snow White was to save her from the effects of an assault upon her.

Now, let's ask this consent question;
:arrow:
March 2019 my Mom had what turned out to be a stroke (and a few vessels about to burst were found at the hospital)
my disabled Dad realized what was going on and ended up having Mom taken to the hospital against her will,
i.e. without her consent
in direct opposition to her emphatically stated non-consent.
:arrow: was it moral for Dad to save Mom's life without Mom's consent & in fact to do so deliberately against her stated non-consent :?: