Veteran

12 May 2021, 8:26 pm

^^^i feel smarter for having read your post. :study:

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2021, 10:44 pm

shlaifu wrote:
I watched a talk on Dutch iconoclasm in the 17th century, I think. The historian broke down the process of modern iconoclasm into several steps:
First, the images of the old relogion/culture has to be desecrated, to demonstrate that they have lost their power and effect on the new society.
Then they have to be removed.
Then they get put in museums where they are on display not as items of worship, but as historical items. They need a plaque that explains what they are, what they were used for. This 'explaining' removes the item from being a thing in a living culture that needs no explanation and makes it into an item so far away from today and so foreign, you need to actually explain it.

The final step is its veneration not as a holy object, but as a piece of art or craftsmanship, a profane object of aesthetic quality.

Sanitizing fairytales is the only way how Disney can keep those fairytales in circulation and part of our culture - and part of their income-generating portfolio.
If they were moved into the "art" section, only people interested in them as pieces of art would watch them. But they want to sell these to contemporary children, so they aren't allowed to become "art"

Interesting post, thanks for that.

I don't think what Disney is doing is iconoclasm in the way a society might destroy their old culture (The Anglo-Saxons for example completely destroyed their entire culture when they adopted christianity).

It's really a relatively small scale.

Thirdly the issue over "constraints" being placed on artistic expression is a matter of conjecture. It wouldn't matter since children would be subject to parental guidance on watching adult content. I remind people the Harry Potter series is a perfect example where the first instalment of the Philosopher's stone was relatively child friendly (bar 1-2 scenes with Voldermort) but became progressively less and less suitable for children to watch. I vividly recall watching Part 2 of the Deathly Hallows and the cinema was half full of small children and toddlers and I could hear the little kids gasp when in the first scene where Charity Burbage was being tortured and mocked by Voldermort before being killed and her corpse was consumed by Nagini the serpent. Somehow there's a mismatch between Harry Potter being marketed to little kids and having content that would make grown adults squirm.

Aprilviolets
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2021, 1:33 am

I don't understand how Harry Potter was marketed for Kids it was Darker as the books and movies went on.
It would have scared them.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2021, 3:43 am

Aprilviolets wrote:
I don't understand how Harry Potter was marketed for Kids it was Darker as the books and movies went on.
It would have scared them.

Indeed! strange mystery how the entire series got through the censorship boards.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2021, 8:45 am

He should have used this instead

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2021, 7:46 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
He should have used this instead

It's worse than that. In the original storyboard the Prince was a lot younger and a lot hornier around Snow white.

Apparently the censors at the time told Walt to get rid of it as it was too "risque" for prudish audiences.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2021, 7:49 pm

^^^prudish amuuuurican audiences of the bible belt, among the most conservative on earth.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2021, 7:53 pm

auntblabby wrote:
^^^prudish amuuuurican audiences of the bible belt, among the most conservative on earth.

I'm surprised the 1930s Prince wasn't singing sweet musical notes to Snow white to wake her up :lol:

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2021, 8:00 pm

cyberdad wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

I'm surprised the 1930s Prince wasn't singing sweet musical notes to Snow white to wake her up :lol:

he came close to it-

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2021, 8:05 pm

auntblabby wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

he came close to it-

Ok! I knew the dwarves and snow white sang a few....who could forget..."Someday my prince will come" :lol:

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2021, 8:18 pm

^^^trivia note- the singing voice of the prince was harry stockwell, the father of actors guy and dean stockwell. talent keeps to itself.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2021, 10:34 pm

LOL! I was imagining Bing Crosby crooning for the prince

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2021, 3:09 am

cyberdad wrote:
LOL! I was imagining Bing Crosby crooning for the prince

crosby was a baritone of some gravity, mr. stockwell was a tenor :dj:

ezbzbfcg2
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2021, 3:37 am

Sorry if this has already been said, but shouldn't the wicked witch actually be scrutinized for basically slipping Snow White a roofie in the first place?

ALSO: I'm not a big Disney fan, but I remember Disney never wanted to release this movie on home video because, IIRC, it was their "first" cartoon film. They used to screen it in theaters over the years, but were very hesitant to put it on video tape, though I think they eventually relented.

Maybe they should have kept it in the vault.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2021, 3:44 am

The christian right have bigger problems than Snow white
https://www.vox.com/culture/2019/11/22/ ... eer-review

Every female toddler in the western world has dressed like Elsa at least once, watched the movie and probably know many of the lines of by heart.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

14 May 2021, 12:06 pm

auntblabby wrote:
he came close to it-
Gah, sugar poisoning. :eew: