Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2021, 9:14 pm

I found a way to get vaccine, a friend will take me, I’m going in my wheelchair. Can people decide what vaccine to get? Which one is better? I’m still afraid of touching things.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2021, 11:04 pm

From what I've been seeing, it seems like most people have been getting the Pfizer.
I don't know which one would be "better", there aren't really any studies on that at the moment.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2021, 11:32 pm

Kitty4670 wrote:
Can people decide what vaccine to get?

Have you been able to determine whether the vaccine location you are going to has a selection to choose from?

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

05 May 2021, 11:15 am

Pfizer and Moderna have the highest reported efficacy so I guess these two are "the best".
Here, you can "choose" your vaccine by choosing a vaccination point equipped with the desired one.
I don't know how it looks where you live. Maybe ask your friend who's giving you the lift?

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2021, 12:04 pm

Assuming you aren't getting an injection of bleach from someone in a back alley...

When we went to get vaccinated the only choice we had was which arm. They had one type of vaccine, take it or leave it. If that is what they offer you, and your doctor has not said you should not get vaccinated at all, you should almost certainly take what they've got. All of the COVID vaccines offered in the U.S. are better than not being vaccinated at all.

You might find the information from the CDC, Mayo Clinic, and CNBC interesting. Note that it is difficult to really compare the different vaccines. Their trials were at different times and hit different variants...and, obviously, none of them have been tested against future variants. Sometimes it appears the different trials were collecting some different kinds of data, too, for instance protecting you from getting infected vs. how serious it would be if you got infected.

The risks they talk about for the Janssen/Johnson & Johnson vaccine are apparently exceedingly rare. You should probably be more concerned about your safety getting too and from the vaccine site. But you only need one shot with it, the others take two shots.

With any vaccine (even a flu shot) they'd probably want you to hang around for 15 minutes to make sure you don't have an allergic reaction to the vaccine. That is a good time to do some people-watching and chatting.

And you might have some temporary side-effects from any of the vaccines. My bride was completely wiped out the day after the first and second shots. (She was back to making me tired in no time, however.) I had no side effects.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2021, 5:22 pm

I will get my first dose of the Moderna vaccine this Monday.

bottleblank
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 May 2021, 5:39 pm

Have had my first dose of the AstraZeneca vaccine, didn't die, happier with going places. Honestly wouldn't have cared which vaccine it was, as long as it works.

Redd_Kross
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2021, 6:06 pm

The Pfizer vaccine seems to have fewer side effects.

I had the AZ one and felt rough for 48 hrs after the first jab (headaches and flu-like symptoms), but the second one amounted to feeling a bit tired and having a sore arm.

Feeling mostly warm and stoned for 48 hrs wasn't bad, but I'd deliberately kept my diary empty. I definitely wouldn't want to work while feeling like that, and it would be dangerous to drive.

If you lead a busy life go for the Pfizer one, out of those two. I don't know anything about the others.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

09 May 2021, 4:40 am

I got my first dose of Moderna yesterday. Apart from general tiredness and sore arm, no other unwanted effects.

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2021, 1:33 am

Alot of people in my town are getting rashes, get really exhausted, hives & more side effects.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2021, 1:44 am

Studies show that women's menstrual cycles are affected by these vaccines because they contain oestrogen. Every pre-menopausal woman I know had their period come early after the vaccine, or even happen two and three times within that first month. There are articles you can read about the hormonal effects on women. As far as we know, the effect is temporary and will go away.

My mother, my daughter, my boyfriend and I all got Pfizer with no side effects at all from the first jab. Our second ones aren't until August so I don't know how that will go. The only person I know who had an adverse reaction to a vaccine was my brother who had Moderna. It caused him to have a debilitating flare of gout, with an infection, and yet he didn't even know he had gout before the vaccine. Apparently all the vaccines (including non-Covid) cause gout flares because of a hormone response. So if you have gout, just make sure you are drinking a lot of water and taking all your prescribed medication. He likely would have had the same reaction from Pfizer -- so I'm not blaming Moderna.

I was terrified of getting the vaccine, and of my immunocompromoised daughter getting it because she isn't allowed other flu vaccines. But we had no reactions whatsoever .. except those I described about menstrual changes.

Your clinic will likely advertise which brand they have on offer. I think Pfizer and Moderna are considered the safest but maybe check with your doctor which they recommend.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2021, 10:30 am

Where I live no one gets to choose which vaccine they get. It's whichever one they're giving at the location you go to. Unless you choose to go to a drop in drug store type place, then I think they're all AZ.

Pfizer & Moderna are identical inside, the mRNA part. The only difference is the lipid delivery capsule. AZ had lower efficacy in tests, but, the tests weren't all identical apples to apples because the AZ test had a different variant in it - so - it's possible that if the tests were all exactly the same that it would have higher results more in line with the others. The AZ numbers only "look bad," compared to the new mRNA ones because the new mRNA vaccines have the highest efficacy numbers of any vaccine ever created. By vaccine standards over the last 100+ years, the AZ one is still quite good!

In the end, the right vaccine to get is the First one you can get. It doesn't matter which one - it simply matters that people all get vaccinated asap in order to build herd immunity.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

12 May 2021, 10:53 am

We won't have herd immunity without vaccinating school children.
I see from close range how it looks for my 8 and 9 yos. They're physically incapable of keeping social distance for more than maybe an hour. Schools reopen, a month later we have another wave. Schools close. The wave ends. Schools reopen. But don't worry, cases are detected in schools and whole classes go to quarantine. My younger one is on one just now. After a month - the next big wave. Like a seesaw.

I'm waiting for the trials to be completed, the best dosage determined, EU gives green light and I'm vaxing my children. They may not be at risk of the worst symptoms from covid but schools are almost perfect environments for new variants to emerge and spread.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2021, 11:14 am

if it was my choice, i'd go for the "one and done" J and J vaccine.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2021, 11:40 am

auntblabby wrote:

But then you won't get any of the 5G Bill Gates X-men Neuralink murder hornets superhuman mutant stuff.. :D

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2021, 12:49 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

But then you won't get any of the 5G Bill Gates X-men Neuralink murder hornets superhuman mutant stuff.. :D

not having to deal with a second shot and second go-round of side fx is a fair trade for one less shot, no?