How to set boundaries with narcissists and toxic people

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2021, 8:13 am

Hi:
I want to know how I can assertively set boundaries with people who are narcissistic or toxic. Also what are some good ways of reacting instead of reacting.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2021, 8:28 am

Block them out of your life.  There is no other way.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

J e s s i c a
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

05 May 2021, 8:32 am

So in places like workplaces and stuff I find the best way is to be very straight with them and say stuff like "I don't appreciate being spoken to like that thanks", then walk off and blank them.

There's a few ways of doing it, basically the idea is to not give them a reaction but to answer them very directly that you are not entertaining their ridiculous behaviour.

This video is quite good give it a watch.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2021, 8:47 am

A narcissist will always find a way to take advantage of you, while a toxic person will try to hurt you.

The only effective way to deal with either one is to put physical distance and/or barriers between you and them.

Or let the cops do it for you.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2021, 8:53 am

You can't set boundaries with other people, but you can set boundaries with yourself.

Know ahead of time what you will and will not tolerate, and how you deserve to be treated. Trust yourself that you will respond accordingly in your own best interest as needed. For example, if a person does _________ , I will react by ____________ without feeling guilt or shame, and if the behaviour happens a second time I will _________ .

In that regard you are identifying your own boundaries of what is or is not acceptable, and learning to empower / trust yourself rather than other people.

I've never "trusted" others. I only trust myself that I will do the right thing if they try to screw me around.