Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Something Profound
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 May 2021, 10:21 am

I have been a chronic sufferer of RLS (Restless Leg Syndrome) my entire life. Some days it is easy to manage or doesn't bother me, but other days (like today) it is absolutely horrible and makes my already bad insomnia that much worse. I was curious if others have similar problems, if it is common in the ASD community, or if I am an outlier here...

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2021, 10:41 am

No, RLS and ASD have no connection, but RLS isn't uncommon in people.

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2021, 6:31 pm

I am not sure there is a strong connection, but studies have given some hints.
( I have it, both my parents had it)
Studies are showing there is a link to people who eventually develop Parkinsonism, both to RLS , and in different studies, to autism.
All of it is neurological in basis, and all of it is suspected to be genetic, although in each diagnosis, no actual gene for RLS, Parkinson's, or autism has been found. RLS is also called Willis Ekbom disorder/disease/syndrome.

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2021, 6:39 pm

PS I just did a couple of quick internet searches and turned up quite a few recent studies suggesting that sleep difficulties in autism may be undiagnosed rls. I searched "autism related to RLS" and "autism connection to willis ekbom," "ASD RLS" etc. Now I am going to go back and read more. You are not alone!

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

timf
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2021, 7:10 am

My wife found great relief from RLS with S-adenosyl-L-methionine (SAMe)