Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Quirk
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Jul 2007, 10:09 am

I grew up with lots of animals. My oldest brother was a reptile fanatic. Besides the 2 cats we had as family pets, there was always an assortment of turtles, lizards and snakes (not to mention a fish tank and a variety of birds). We briefly had a snapping turtle in an enclosure in our backyard and painted turtles which spent a couple days in a bathtub while their new home was being constructed. We had a 3 foot long monitor lizard which escaped and had a stand-off with one of our cats. I had everything from salamanders to rabbits myself. These days all I have are a couple of African Dwarf Frogs (Gorp & Frogbert). Also I'm a regular babysitter for my friend's beagle when he is away for work.

Methofelis
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 Jul 2007, 6:03 pm

I have a dog and three cats, two rats, and some odd fish.

My grandmother had more pets than human relatives (and she's a Catholic) so I was used to being around a mass of fur my whole life. I am incomplete without a pet of some sort. Animals are my thing.

TrueDave
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2007, 4:54 am

I've been reading about AS and have a supportive friend whos become an expert. I often ask her if shes come across anything about AS and pets. The books seem to discuss every thing else from sex lives to what we eat and typically look like. So I'm glad to come across this discussion, and relieved to hear that someone else with a lot more experience than I finds them stressful at a young age. Earlier in the spring I bought a kitten. I wanted an older cat but took someones advice . I found her a little overwhelming. I'd leave her crying when I'd go to the grocers and worry about her the whole time. She got out one night and never came back. This is the second time a young cat ran away. I thought from now on maybe I should stick to Aquarium and cage based pets. But maybe an older cat or dog would'nt be so bad. I just want someone to relax with.

FirstandEllen
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Aug 2007, 6:39 pm

Isn't there a question on the Baron/Cohen about liking animals better than people? I sure do. They are a relief!! They don't lie to you or play games, and they accept you unconditionally. And you have a pet, you are never lonely- you can still get lonely for people specifically, but never REALLY lonely. You also learn compassion becuase you have the responsibility of taking care of them and figuring out what they need.

Always have had dogs, a few cats. Love dogs. I also volunteer with dogs at a pretty tough city animal shelter, and I wish I could do that a lot more. There is an endless amount to be done to help homeless pets.

My dog is a 14-year-old German Shepherd, probably an expensive purebred, I have had for a little over a year. Before me he was apparently left in a yard outside in the dead of winter and fed only food scraps- he was about 65 lbs out of a healthy 100 and full of infections and had bad unmedicated arthritis. I've learned a ton from him, and I am so much more confident. I had to learn to run show properly as a dog owner or he was going to, which meant barking at everyone who passed by on the street or came to our house. He's brilliant, though, as long as I know how to communicate with him, I can teach him anything.

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2007, 9:25 am

I have a rabbit called Jenifer (nickname Jellybean, hence my username...) and three goldfish. Jenifer is 4 years old and a little scamp and two of my fish are 8 years old and 3 years old. My rabbit brings me daily happiness and licks me when she is happy. Getting a rabbit was the best thing that has happened to me, although the death of the two that (seperately) lived with her really upset me.

Asby
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Aug 2007, 9:28 am

I have 1 fish and a cat (which is on the verge of dieing unfortunatly) :(

ASPERGERSJOHN
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Aug 2007, 12:49 pm

I have 1 dog called Jasper which is a dalmation.