Everybody seems to be hiring - go apply!

Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2021, 2:20 pm

There is an additional explanation: Some jobs pay less than unemployment.

Laboring Under Delusions
by Matt Lubchansky
(Posted on  The Nib , 2021-05-05)

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Last edited by Fnord on 06 May 2021, 2:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2021, 2:26 pm

BeaArthur wrote:
Yes, this is in the USA.

In some cases, when furloughed employees are contacted, they don't want to work right away because their unemploylment pay is higher than their earnings would be, but in a lot of cases, they are no longer available. They either found some other employment, they moved out of the area (maybe in with relatives to save money), or they don't want to work in the same industry any more. I went to get a haircut recently and asked if my stylist still worked there. I was told no, she had resigned 14 months ago (at onset of Covid) to get a job in some other field that had more steady income.

Other jobs, I just see signs on buildings and even delivery trucks, saying we're hiring, and giving a phone number.

I don't have a problem applying online for jobs. It's an efficiency.

That makes sense. Thanks for explaining Bea.

I haven't cut my hair since 2019 and my hairdresser is gone out of business. Other hairdressers are still closed for over a year now. We're a total hippy society now - it's pretty funny actually.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2021, 12:15 pm

I have heard (on TV) most of the unfilled job openings are in the restaurant industry as well as manufacturing.

When I posted this originally, I was indeed not thinking of the steadily employed, highly skilled, non-entry-level person. I was thinking of those who have been having trouble getting their foot in the door; that door might be slightly more open now than at other times. Yes, these are not highly paid, but improvements in wage scales means many of them will be at least $15 an hour.

Last edited by BeaArthur on 07 May 2021, 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2021, 1:36 pm

Dining / Drinking, Entertainment, Hotel / Motel, Manufacturing, Medical, and Tourism need workers.

Construction and STEM less so, but upcoming "Boomer" retirements may open things up there too.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

adoylelb90815
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 May 2021, 5:17 pm

In California, employers reopening are legally required to hire back their furloughed employees first, before hiring anyone else willing to work. That was something recently made into a law because of the pandemic, to get those people back to work as everything reopens.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2021, 6:28 pm

adoylelb90815 wrote:
In California, employers reopening are legally required to hire back their furloughed employees first, before hiring anyone else willing to work. That was something recently made into a law because of the pandemic, to get those people back to work as everything reopens.
In California, employers reopening are legally required to OFFER JOBS TO their furloughed employees first, before hiring anyone else willing to do the work instead.

If those furloughed employees do not accept the offers, then the employers are under no obligation to keep those jobs open until the furloughed employees change their minds, and neither is the EDD under any legal obligation to continue the unemployment benefits once the job offers are refused, either.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2021, 5:53 pm

Yesterday I went to breakfast with friends at a truck stop restaurant. Not haute cuisine granted, but well executed "American" cooking. Even before entering the restaurant, you could see a handwritten sign stating help was needed, you could apply on the spot, jobs such as line cook, dishwasher and waitress paying "up to $30 an hour" with a $1000 signing bonus. Now granted, $30 might represent the amount the fastest waitresses got but still, it seemed they were really ready to hire people!

My county and state just re-opened public places with no mask requirements. Up till this week, restaurants could open with limited occupancy such as 25% or 50%. So places aren't geared up with full staffing, but need it now.

In addition, I saw "now hiring" signs in at least 3 businesses this weekend.

Since they are so much in a hurry to hire, I encourage everyone who has trouble getting a job to start applying. Granted, other states, countries, and cities may have different situations, but if your area isn't hiring now, you can expect that they will be, once things open up.