Everybody seems to be hiring - go apply!

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2021, 1:53 pm

If you have had difficulty getting a job, this might be your golden opportunity. In my (mid-sized, U.S.) city, I see "Now Hiring" signs everywhere I go. I hear on the national news, also, that this is true in many cities. Commerce and industry are opening up but finding it hard to get help, and employers are willing to take almost any applicant.

If you are fully vaccinated, so much the better for you.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2021, 6:45 pm

Thanks for the heads-up!

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2021, 8:23 am

A lot of us "Boomers" are hitting retirement age, with the peak occurring sometime around 2022.

Younger people now have their chances to learn what it is like to have soul-crushing careers!

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2021, 8:35 am

I’m supposed to be retiring in 2023.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2021, 10:22 am

I retired in 2016. I'm not that old, I retired at the earliest age when I could get Social Security, and then applied for Soc Sec Disability. They tend to be pretty generous with that the older the applicant, and I had a list of about 13 diagnoses that interfered with my ability to continue working. (I don't think the worker assigned to my case wanted to work that hard on it!) The advantage of doing that was that my Soc Sec was raised to the amount per month that I would have received had I retired at age 67. I think it upped my check by a couple hundred a month.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2021, 10:29 am

I see this everywhere too but they all want you to go apply online.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2021, 10:36 am

I assume this pertains to America.

We're still locked down under emergency constraints, and most businesses have closed permanently.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2021, 10:44 am

↑ Yes, I think it pertains only to America, and to California in particular.  Estimates put as many as 75% of non-franchised restaurants as permanently out of business, being the most hard-hit business by covid, but many other businesses are putting out the call for skilled and semi-skilled workers.  All one needs are the right qualifications and the willingness to work.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2021, 1:24 pm

I can't stand this "applying online" thing....

When I was able to go to a temp service and show off my typing skills, I used to get sent out to jobs right away.

This time around, when I was looking for a second job, I applied to about 100 jobs. I only got an interview with one, and fortunately, I was hired. It's not easy to get a decent job these days.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2021, 1:30 pm

Yeah, dangummit!  When I was a kid, if we wanted spendin' money, there was always somone who'd hire us and pay us to work, so we'd hitch up our britches, grab our shovels, an' walk barefoot in tha snow down intah the coal mine fer a month or two an' earn enough money to pay tha rent an mah family's conestoga wagon so's we could hitch it up to tha dineesore an' head west.

Them was tha days, I tellya!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2021, 1:43 pm

A return to this sort of thing might be just the ticket.....

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2021, 1:46 pm

I'm confused why places are hiring so much?

Wouldn't they just rehire the people who were on furlough?

Or if the businesses closed permanently, why do they need new staff?

Are these all start-up companies? (I'm totally confused where the jobs came from)

CollegeGirlAnon
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 May 2021, 1:47 pm

Fnord wrote:
Yeah, dangummit!  When I was a kid, if we wanted spendin' money, there was always somone who'd hire us and pay us to work, so we'd hitch up our britches, grab our shovels, an' walk barefoot in tha snow down intah the coal mine fer a month or two an' earn enough money to pay tha rent an mah family's conestoga wagon so's we could hitch it up to tha dineesore an' head west.

Them was tha days, I tellya!

That sounds great...now to get a basic job it seems like you have to have so many qualifications.

And for some jobs I get that, but not all of them.

TriPM Score (Taken 05/22/2021):
103 out of 174 points (99th percentile)

ADHD & ASD diagnosis made in childhood.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2021, 1:50 pm

I would assume there are at least some furloughed employees being re-hired.

Unfortunately, that's the nature of jobs in things like hospitality, retail, and fast food. Employees are more disposable than usual in these sorts of positions. People have to "start over," so to speak.

The unemployment rate will get better; but most of the jobs gained will be of the low-income variety.

I must say that healthcare jobs will be an exception. There is a strong market for healthcare jobs out there.

Last edited by kraftiekortie on 06 May 2021, 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2021, 2:10 pm

League_Girl wrote:
I see this everywhere too but they all want you to go apply online.

So?

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2021, 2:17 pm

Yes, this is in the USA.

In some cases, when furloughed employees are contacted, they don't want to work right away because their unemploylment pay is higher than their earnings would be, but in a lot of cases, they are no longer available. They either found some other employment, they moved out of the area (maybe in with relatives to save money), or they don't want to work in the same industry any more. I went to get a haircut recently and asked if my stylist still worked there. I was told no, she had resigned 14 months ago (at onset of Covid) to get a job in some other field that had more steady income.

Other jobs, I just see signs on buildings and even delivery trucks, saying we're hiring, and giving a phone number.

I don't have a problem applying online for jobs. It's an efficiency.