Is anyone here into Russian/Soviet movies?

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

violetdr3amer
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

06 May 2021, 10:49 am

I am a big fan of Soviet/Russian movies. I signed up to this great website:

https://sovietmoviesonline.com

I myself speak Russian but you can watch the films with subtitles.

I recently watched two great films on there: One called "They Called Him Robert" about an android who gets thrust into a human environment to see how he would react, with disastrous consequences. It's kind of a tragicomedy, both funny and thought-provoking.

The other is "I Am Dragon" by the same director who directed Night Watch and Day watch. It's a beautiful fantasy romance about a girl who falls in love with a dragon.

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2021, 6:31 pm

I've seen a handful. I think the last one was Mishen (Target).
The script was written by Vladimir Sorokin and I enjoyed some of his books. ... I should read more Postmodern Russian sci fi, those are insane.

The film is ... Unusual. In part because some dialogue seems to have been dubbed over the film, so I was never really all that sure who was talking when they were not in frame.
Also, the music was underlining the actuon like in a cartoon which made the film really, really grotesque

Edit: it's not soviet, though, but from 2011.
Soviet films I haven't seen a lot. Some Maoist Chinese, which had quite impressive colour design, besides the propaganda

Redd_Kross
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2021, 6:50 pm

I've seen Battleship Potemkin and Doctor Zhivago, that's about it I'm afraid

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2021, 10:54 am

Not so much...but I did seek out a copy of Planeta bur (1961) because I wanted to see where the excerpts in Voyage to the Prehistoric Planet (1965) and Voyage to the Planet of Prehistoric Women (1968) had come from.

Planeta bur is definitely the best of the three.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2021, 11:23 pm

I've only seen Come and See. There hardly seems to be as many accept for a select few, unless a lot just didn't make it out into the rest of the world to find?

AprilR
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2021, 8:45 am

I have seen Stalker by Andrei Tarkovsky and "Moscow doesn't believe in Tears" by Vladimir Menshov. I really liked the latter, it is a slice of life about three women who have been friends since they are young.

violetdr3amer

18 May 2021, 3:09 pm

AprilR wrote:
I have seen Stalker by Andrei Tarkovsky and "Moscow doesn't believe in Tears" by Vladimir Menshov. I really liked the latter, it is a slice of life about three women who have been friends since they are young.

Ooh I love "Moscow doesn't believe in Tears" - one of my favourite movies, I've watched it so many times! Ludmyla is my favourite character, she is hilarious. While I understand that it was the culture of the time, I do find the film quite sexist though - I mean Katya's first boyfriend literally sexually assaulted her and got away with it, and she got the blame for it, and the guy she ends up with gets butthurt and ego-wounded because she earns more than him...

AprilR
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2021, 3:17 am

violetdr3amer wrote:
AprilR wrote:

Ooh I love "Moscow doesn't believe in Tears" - one of my favourite movies, I've watched it so many times! Ludmyla is my favourite character, she is hilarious. While I understand that it was the culture of the time, I do find the film quite sexist though - I mean Katya's first boyfriend literally sexually assaulted her and got away with it, and she got the blame for it, and the guy she ends up with gets butthurt and ego-wounded because she earns more than him...

I also love Ludmyla! And Yeah i agree i felt sorry for Katya a lot. It seems like women always have similar problems no matter which country you go to. We always get the short end of the stick.

violetdr3amer

19 May 2021, 5:14 am

AprilR wrote:
I also love Ludmyla! And Yeah i agree i felt sorry for Katya a lot. It seems like women always have similar problems no matter which country you go to. We always get the short end of the stick.

Yep, it's sad but true. Sexism is still very ripe in Ukraine, where I'm from (although of course still a very big problem in the west too). In Ukraine, successful men are almost expected to have mistresses, it's seen as normal. Whereas the wife has to stay at home and pander to his every whim, and if she f***s someone else, she is seen as the whore of Babylon and shunned by her community. Most women turn a blind eye to their husbands' affairs; if a woman complains or leaves, she's seen as a lunatic.

AprilR
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2021, 5:45 am

violetdr3amer wrote:
AprilR wrote:

Yep, it's sad but true. Sexism is still very ripe in Ukraine, where I'm from (although of course still a very big problem in the west too). In Ukraine, successful men are almost expected to have mistresses, it's seen as normal. Whereas the wife has to stay at home and pander to his every whim, and if she f***s someone else, she is seen as the whore of Babylon and shunned by her community. Most women turn a blind eye to their husbands' affairs; if a woman complains or leaves, she's seen as a lunatic.

I didn't know that about Ukraine. It's really sad, i am from a very sexist country as well(middle eastern) and i never imagined that Ukraine was backwards like that.

Here also, women are expected to put up a lot with in their marriage. Being a perfect doormat housewife and mother at home and also working. I would probably stay single here even if i didn't have the social problems that comes with autism.

violetdr3amer

19 May 2021, 5:49 am

AprilR wrote:
I didn't know that about Ukraine. It's really sad, i am from a very sexist country as well(middle eastern) and i never imagined that Ukraine was backwards like that.

Here also, women are expected to put up a lot with in their marriage. Being a perfect doormat housewife and mother at home and also working. I would probably stay single here even if i didn't have the social problems that comes with autism.

Damn, I'm sorry to hear :(

I live in the UK, which is slightly better than Ukraine but not much better. Women are still expected to be an ego prop for men. I don't put up with bs so I am probably going to be forever alone too lol

Mikah
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2021, 4:54 pm

The unintentionally hilarious Soviet take on The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring was recently rediscovered:

violetdr3amer

22 May 2021, 5:38 am

Mikah wrote:
The unintentionally hilarious Soviet take on The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring was recently rediscovered:

Omg thank you for posting these, I watched the first one last night and it was freaking hilarious! Gollum is so funny.

Mikah
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2021, 8:07 pm

violetdr3amer wrote:
Omg thank you for posting these, I watched the first one last night and it was freaking hilarious! Gollum is so funny.

You're welcome. If you think Gollum was funny wait until you see Gandalf flying around on Gwaihir.

Spunge42
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 May 2021, 10:13 pm

I enjoyed Day Watch and Night Watch. And I watched I think its a Russian horror movie years ago The Abandoned. It was so creepy. Me and bro had to watch a kids movie afterwards because we couldn't go to sleep. Lol. Don't watch horror movies at 2am when it's storming.

Also, the Russian show The Dog. I think that's what it's called. It was really good. I enjoyed it. The German shepherd in it is beautiful. It's about an investigator who kind of inherits the dog of his murdered mentor. And they try to solve his murder together.

I'll have to check out some of your suggestions, they sound interesting. Thanks

"I sat with my anger long enough, until she told me her real name was grief."

HelHelly
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

30 May 2021, 8:47 am

AprilR wrote:

I also liked "Moscow doesn't believe in Tears". Good movie that shows problems of many women and children.