3 injured in Idaho middle school shooting

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2021, 1:18 pm

Two students, a janitor wounded in Idaho middle school shooting

Quote:
NBC affiliate KPVI identified the wounded as two students and a janitor. The news station reported a suspect was in custody. He is a student at the school, according to The Associated Press

Rigby is about 95 miles southwest of Yellowstone National Park.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2021, 5:21 pm

Trans sports ban, near-total abortion ban, school shootings, being “Utah on crack”...what is the deal with Idaho?

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2021, 5:27 pm

The suspect is a 6th-grade girl.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2021, 6:35 pm

Quote:
Sheriff: Girl shoots 3 at Idaho school; teacher disarms her
By REBECCA BOONE
May 6, 2021 GMT
BOISE, Idaho (AP) — A sixth-grade girl brought a gun to her Idaho middle school, shot and wounded two students and a custodian and then was disarmed by a teacher Thursday, authorities said.

The three were shot in their extremities and were expected to survive, officials said at a news conference. Jefferson County Sheriff Steve Anderson says the girl pulled a handgun from her backpack and fired multiple rounds inside and outside Rigby Middle School in the small city of Rigby, about 95 miles (145 kilometers) southwest of Yellowstone National Park.

A female teacher disarmed the girl and held her until law enforcement arrived and took her into custody, authorities said, without giving other details. Authorities say they’re investigating the motive for the attack and where the girl got the gun.

She is from the nearby city of Idaho Falls, Anderson said. He didn’t release her name.

https://apnews.com/article/idaho-rigby- ... 4c8379be9a

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2021, 1:34 am

Gosh! a baby with a handgun....Murica...

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2021, 2:09 am

I look at what is happening now with school shootings compared to when I was a child in the 1960s and 1970s and I am convinced it is not a change in guns which is driving the thing but a change in people.

The way people, kids, think has changed.

As for me, us, and our lived experience;

We were kids in military families during Vietnam. Our dads and some moms such as ours, had personal guns at home for sport and/or hunting. We knew exactly which coat closet the guns were in. We knew exactly where the ammunition for the guns was. We played cops and robbers with capguns. We played army with often quite realistic toy guns. And in a couple cases, the carcasses of real guns. We watched Police TV shows. We watched war movies. We played miniatures wargames & built and painted the miniature soldiers.

And I can confidently say that neither myself, my brother, nor any other kid we knew, considered taking a gun to school and shooting people a valid choice to make.

Yeah, we had a couple fistfights.
And there was the time I had had my fill of David ridiculing me and stuffed him in a locker.

Guns were not an option that our minds entertained.

So ...

What happened within young people, students, kids, to make guns now an option to consider, now THE option to consider?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2021, 3:17 am

kitesandtrainsandcats wrote:
What happened within young people, students, kids, to make guns now an option to consider, now THE option to consider?

More options? guns are more accessible, aren't they literally giving away high powered weapons at throw-away prices, you can even buy guns at Walmart

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2021, 11:37 am

cyberdad wrote:
More options? guns are more accessible, aren't they literally giving away high powered weapons at throw-away prices, you can even buy guns at Walmart

Speaking of giving guns away, when my parents bought a piano in the 1970s the music store was giving a shotgun with purchase of a piano.

(My parents hadn't known of that and were quite surprised, but said, okay, yeah, we'll take the coupon and get a .410 that Mom could better use than a 12 gauge with her naturally short height and her spine which was minus 2 disks. And then my midwestern farm girl Mom next time going with them to shoot skeet outshot all the Navy guys in the staff office!)

There wasn't Walmart where we lived in the 60s and 70s so I don't know about their history.
What I do know is that in at least 2 different cities we lived in in 2 different states during those decades, the corner hardware stores sold guns and ammunition.
And Sears and JC Penny sold guns.

This from NYT a few years ago just popped in to my memory,
"Share of Homes With Guns Shows 4-Decade Decline
By Sabrina Tavernise and Robert Gebeloff
March 9, 2013"
https://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/10/us/r ... shows.html

Quote:
The findings contrast with the impression left by a flurry of news reports about people rushing to buy guns and clearing shop shelves of assault rifles after the massacre last year at an elementary school in Newtown, Conn.

“There are all these claims that gun ownership is going through the roof,” said Daniel Webster, the director of the Johns Hopkins Center for Gun Policy and Research. “But I suspect the increase in gun sales has been limited mostly to current gun owners. The most reputable surveys show a decline over time in the share of households with guns.”

That decline, which has been studied by researchers for years but is relatively unknown among the general public, ...

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2021, 2:18 pm

Motive still unknown as of 13:18 MT on Friday, 2021-05-07.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2021, 8:38 am

Idaho school shooting is one of very few in which a girl is the suspect

Quote:
Jefferson County Sheriff Steve Anderson said Friday the investigation is likely to take “a considerable amount of time.” He said neither the name of the suspect – a sixth-grade girl – nor the name of the teacher who disarmed her would be immediately released.

The shooting took place over the course of about five minutes, Anderson s

Girls and women commit just 2 percent of both mass shootings and school shootings in the U.S, according to data complied by the group The Violence Project.

The group has a database tracking shootings at schools where more than one person was shot or a person came to school heavily armed with the intention of firing indiscriminately. It includes 146 cases going back to 1980. Girls were the shooters in just three of those cases. Experts differ on exactly why, though it’s known that men commit over 90 percent homicides in general.

Researchers have also found that shooters who target bigger groups or schools tend to study perpetrators before them, who are more likely to be male.

Boys in general also tend to externalize anger and sadness against other people, whereas girls are more likely to internalize those emotions and have higher rates of depression and anxiety, Peterson said.

The fact that the girl’s shots wounded rather than killed three people could be an indication that she had not planned as carefully and wasn’t as familiar the gun as compared to other similar shooters, Peterson said.

The girl is also younger than most school shooters, who are more often in high school. The Violence Project’s database shows about 18 percent of school shootings were at middle schools, though most of those were among older teenagers. Only a handful involved 6th-grade students, Peterson said.

Most attackers who carried out deadly school shootings were male; seven were female, according to the studies. Researchers said 63 percent of the attackers were white, 15 percent were black, 5 percent Hispanic, 2 percent were American Indian or Alaska Native, 10 percent were of two or more races and 5 percent were undetermined.

The shooting that arguably touched off the current wave of school shootings was carried out by a girl in 1979 and was the subject of a hit song by the Boomtown Rats ‘I Don’t Like Mondays’

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman