Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2021, 10:22 pm

This is currently front page news in Australian newspapers
Australia’s biggest women’s basketball star Liz Cambage has threatened to abandon the Tokyo Olympics after taking issue with a team photo.

The photos

Cambage, 29, who has played for our national women’s basketball team the Opals at the past two Olympics, made the threat on Instagram on Thursday in a series of posts.
She shared two images — one of athletes showing off Australia’s uniform for the Games and another promoting the official underwear sponsor of the team — she said were examples of whitewashing and did not represent the diverse backgrounds of Australia’s athletes.
“If I’ve said it once I’ve said it a million times, HOW AM I MEANT TO REPRESENT A COUNTRY THAT DOESN’T EVEN REPRESENT ME,” Cambage wrote.
“Y’all do anything to remove POC (People of Colour) from the forefront when it’s black athletes leading the pack,” she added.

It's interesting I have noticed a demographic shift in our Olympic athletics and basketball team not being represented by the AOC webpage or their marketing. She may have a point.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2021, 8:24 am

It is all just a show of "Nationalist" pride, anyway.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2021, 8:15 pm

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2021, 8:44 pm

Nationalism has spread through the world like a virus. It's quite sickening.

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2021, 8:52 am

Well, turns out she isn't exactly "boycotting" the games:

Quote:
Australian basketball star Liz Cambage has sent a bizarre video message cheering on Nigeria's women's team at the Olympics, weeks after a confrontation with members of that team led to her pulling out of the Games.

The 29-year-old Las Vegas Aces centre sensationally bowed out of the Tokyo games earlier this month citing mental health reasons after she was involved in a clash with players from the west African nation in a warm-up match.

The fiery confrontation is still under investigation by the sport's national governing body Basketball Australia.

Source: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9830311/Aussie-basketball-star-Liz-Cambage-posts-bizarre-video-supporting-NIGERIA-Tokyo-Olympics.html

There is also the problem of:
Quote:
Cambage broke the Australian team bubble on numerous occasions, according to multiple sources close to the camp.
<...>
The WNBA star also denied she went outside the Opals team bubble, declaring: “I’ve been in here (hotel room) and the only time I left this goddamn bubble was for the All-Star game.”

However, multiple sources close to the playing group have told NewsCorp that Cambage had been seen out in Las Vegas and wasn’t in the team hotel for long periods of time.

The incident against Nigeria and other behavioural issues have privately frustrated Opals teammates for some time, prompting player-led discussions around the centre’s future, including her potential removal from the team.

But just hours after the AOC confirmed there was an investigation into the Cambage altercation against Nigeria, the Opals’ best player released a statement saying she was withdrawing from the Tokyo Games due to mental health concerns.

Source: https://www.news.com.au/sport/olympics/olympics-basketball-star-liz-cambage-is-officially-under-investigation-after-quitting-the-tokyo-games/news-story/195de801d2577413d55c4b0d02ab67a3