Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

HacKING
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

07 May 2021, 7:48 am

With all of this back and forth about election fraud, whether or not riots are riots, and a host of other senseless issues that are meant to rile up the general public against eachother, I can't help but feel politics is just the supreme manifestation of "clown world"; a bunch of manipulative crooks butting heads with another gang of manipulative crooks, or one gang of such crooks pretending to fight amongst eachother with one goal in mind really- make everybody hate eachother and keep them in a position of power over our lives.

I used to care a lot about politics but lately I've found a host of other interests- like music and math and science. I feel like politics is a preoccupation for people that don't have anything better to get into. It's certainly accessible; it isn't hard to get angry and impassioned and then take to the internet to express your opinion and argue about it, but is it really adding something of concrete value to your life?

It must be remembered that the people who want you all wrapped up in politics, are selfishly motivated actors. They WANT you to be angry, they WANT you to hate. That's how they motivate you to get out there and vote or give them ad revenue so they can continue to benefit massively for themselves at the expense of peace and get the opportunity to write policy and control your life more.

I think we'd all benefit from heeding these people no mind and find what you like about others less on their politics but our shared interests and values. There really is more to life than this, but with our whole society set up to suck everybody into it; corporations, twitter, social media, the media, Hollywood, sports- it's like you can't escape it. You almost have to shut yourself off from the world in a sense just to catch a break, and that's sad because all it does is perpetuate the hate.

Anyway, that's just what I've been noticing lately in our society and I've chosen to focus on other things for my own sake.

cbd
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 May 2021, 8:25 am

Absolutely .

Alot of it is designed to lead the population into a particular state of mind .

false hidden fears inhibit many people's exploration and enjoyment of life .

Politics is truly devisive , the media designed to project onto people .

You're right .. disconnecting from it is the only true way to go about life with a positive outlook

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2021, 8:07 pm

Yes, withdrawing from political life makes you happier.

Until you realize you're paying all the taxes, you have zero securities and no social services, and all the means of political influence you ever had have been made useless.

Have you considered the whole point of the clown show is to wear you down and withdraw from political life so the people financing the clown show can do whatever the f**k they want and you are too invested into your private lives to even notice that they're doing that?

vividgroovy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 May 2021, 5:13 am

I feel the same as the OP. I was never that into politics, but I have never felt more alienated from it in my life. The more omnipresent it seems and the more people try to threaten and guilt me into being involved with it, the less I want to do with it.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2021, 8:44 am

I agree with the OP - it's like being sat in a high chair, getting bibbed, and force-fed baby food.

As far as the risks of turning away from politics - it might be more that we need things we can actually do that kick up more meaningful inertial movement than getting the 'I voted' sticker, if you had only two choices with any chance to win it wasn't really meaningful. I like the idea of people finding some way of getting involved in problem-solving outside of politics and the MSM, you see a bit of this in good ways with some of the GameB and related thinkers, to some degree you saw something very close to a GameB candidate in Andrew Yang last year, but the overall idea is that this is the game of sharp elbows, to which sharp minds are actually a hazard. I really want to see sharp minds get more power and I'm hoping that in the next ten or fifteen years as baby boomers retire we'll see some of that happening.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2021, 9:14 am

^I love your high chair anology. It's absolutely perfect!

Oscar Meyer Lansky

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2021, 10:00 am

In A 'Game of Apes',

It Doesn't Matter How Foolish

The Play Is; Those Who Stand Together

Dominate The Game; If 'You' 'Think' So Called 'Intellect'

Wins 'the Game' Over Base Classically Evolved Emotions, Obviously

You Are in

An Illusory

Game of Reason

As Emotions Rule Human

Beings And Even The Most Ridiculous

Ignorant And Even Death Bringing Behavior

When Shared in Common Binds And Bonds of

Social (Politics/Religion) Glue Wins the Game, Live

or Die, It'S How

It's Played

Together;

Sure, We

May Escape

Temporarily;

And Yes i Do;

Yet those Who

Play Together, No

Matter What the Rules

Are Or How Nuts The Outcome of the Play is 'Win' the 'Game'....

Or Shall We Point to the Lessons of Donald J Trump And How

Minions Continue to Follow Most Despicable Leaders; Actually "Minions",

That Movie Series, is 'Smarter' Than All the 'So-Called Dark Web Brainiacs Pasted Together'...

Escaping

From 'Reality' Again

Is Only A Temporary Fix

And True Again i Do It too; It'll

Probably Work For Another Decade or Two...

Yet You See, There is A Much Bigger Picture; Nature

is Slowly Purging Our

Part in All the

Current Ice
Age Humans Have Become...

Spring Will Return And Balance Will
Return Until the Next 'Ice Age' Comes; Whatever

It is that Follows the Fall and Rise of Waves Off and On...

True Life's Not Fair; Party On Baby, Dance Like The Rest of

the UniVerse is Hot

And Cold Rocks...

Sure;

Rock On..

While You Can And Will...

i Understand the Impermanence

And Miracle of this Smallest Sliver

Opportunity For Heaven on Earth

And Like Ferris Bueller Gonna

Twist And Shout While

The Minions Do 'Their Thing'

As Otherwise Life Moves Pretty

Fast You Could Miss Heaven on Earth;

And Sure i'll Vote That Much is True...

And i'll Even Eat Some Popcorn And Report How Waves Fall...

While

i Continue to Rise...

For Now At Least

As THere Is no More

Real Than What We Feel

And Sense Now Yawn Just

Another DaY in Paradise Coloring Spring i Will Do...

In Other Words, i've Ascended And Transcended 'The Game'; i only Play

Like What Will Happen if Folks No Longer Work For Pay; No Longer Consume Nature so Much...

We All Might

Hang

Around

or Rise a Bit Longer...

Yet It'll Never Happen

Unless Most of Us Join

Hands And Change the Current Politics oF iGnorance...

The Nature of Social Animals Is Politics; Solo or Whole; It's All Religion...

It's What Social

Animals

Naturally Do Do...

True It's Nice to Rise Above That Do...

Obviously Being Financially Independent

MakeS A Difference When Money And
Consuming As MucH As Possible Is
'God 2.0', 'A New Ice Age S&&& Religion', i No Longer Consume

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

King Kat 1
Toucan
Toucan

08 May 2021, 1:19 pm

Over the past few years it's all just worn me down, a bunch of yelling and screaming. Cable news and right wing talk radio are pure poison. I was happy Biden won, mainly because I find Trump "deplorable". I did vote in this last election but I hardly discussed what was going on with anyone, the only reason I voted was because I couldn't do 4 more years of Trump.

Over the years, I've backed off somewhat from watching news and political discussions. I work with a guy in his 50s who's never voted in his life and never watches the news, part of me wonders if he is the smartest guy in the room.

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2021, 1:41 pm

Well, a lot of people are apparently incapable of thinking outside a narrow political frame of reference - viewing political problems solely through the lens of whatever political factions are currently prominent in their local country.

We are close to 8 billion people on Earth with lives more intertwined than ever before in history, but our tendency towards parochial and myopic navel-gazing when it comes to political life is apparently as prolific today as in the Dark Ages.

And as *shocking* as this may seem to some, politics actually existed for millennia before the invention of the Democratic (1828-) and Republican (1854-) parties in the US (or the US itself, for that matter), and politics will exist long after these two parties have been replaced with other entities.

... Unless someone nukes the planet tomorrow and finally puts an end to all political discussions on Earth, though.

But even then, I'm sure *someone* in the Andromeda Galaxy will run for political office on a "Make NGC 206 Great Again" platform.

Dry Dry Sea
Raven
Raven

09 May 2021, 3:53 pm

I think Politics is about Life.

Politician in Norwegian is Poli-tikker.
Polis means city in greek (?) and tikker means like to "tekk" the roof. Like tikker-bell. Tinkerbell.

I try to do Art and Pray too. I pray basically 1 prayer to 5 everyday. I (we) try to not talk. ... Katarsis is neccesary.

salad
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2021, 4:19 pm

I agree almost 100% with this post...key word being here, almost 100%.

There lies a caveat whereby I may have to demur just a bit with some of this post.

I don't mean to sound like an SJW but there are some of us who make ardent political activism a way of life not out of the boredom of a mundane existence using politics as some arousal stimulator, but because our lives are so messed up and broken because of corrupt and entrenched systems in the world whose only recourse for resolution is through the vehicle of politics. If you think political movers like Noam Chomsky, Malcolm X and MLK actually liked politics than you're sadly mistaken; all 3 both confessed to getting involved politically only insofar as a necessary evil to gain civil rights and bring about justice.

For many not so privileged people they dont have the luxury of just idly immersing themselves in their interests and tuning out the noise of the world; for many people they live in the eye of the motherfreaking hurricane and getting involved politically is literally the only possible avenue for some redress to their needs.

Sure that doesn't mean that there arent a lot of noise that needs to be ferreted out so the wheat can be separated from the chaff; however one cant separate wheat from chaff if the fields are avoided altogether. Yes in politics a lot of it now has become useless reality TV, soundbites and nonsense; however beneath said chaff there is the wheat of real issues at stakes for people whose situations are heavily precarious, things like American support for a terrorist state like Israel that is evicting hundreds of Palestinians from their homes, Palestinians like my family, American police brutality that took the lives of George Floyd and millions of other people, American ventures in the Middle East that has reduced that region to a cesspool of terrorism and immiseration, lack of maternity leave that makes it hard for women to work and manage a family at the same time, and so many other issues that require some level of political involvement to solve.

I hate politics more than anyone here on this forum, trust me I do, yet does WP ever wonder why how someone like me who openly detests and eschews politics always posts here on the PPR? It's because as much as politics seems like noise and nonsense and garbage even I realize my ideal utopia of just drowning myself in my interests and passions are impaired when certain issues interfere with that, such as American support for countries like Israel that terrorize my people, so even aloof me has to invest some measure of awareness into things I hate to make sure my family doesnt get blown up by an Israeli warplane funded bt US tax dollars.

Some people are so privileged they dont have to worry about politics. To the millions of not so lucky people politics is a boring and dirty muck that people dabble in when necessary because they arent left with much choice.

Master Oogway