Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

SpottedMushroom
Raven
Raven

07 May 2021, 4:35 pm

I often feel like the way I present myself creates a lot of unnecessary tension with others, on top of being autistic. I feel like groups of queer folk would be more likely to "get" me. What do you all think? (Please don't say bars :lol: )

NaturalEntity
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2021, 3:02 pm

Forums like this one.

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2021, 7:25 pm

It mainly depends on what's available in your area and how out you are. Have you considered joining a hobby group?

I met other queer people through straight friends introducing me and LGBT individuals approaching me for coming out advice. Subtle pride pins are an option if you feel safe enough to use them. I went to a drag show once, but it wasn't my scene. Likewise with gay bars, they can be rather loud and I can understand why you don't want me to say bars. I remember a woman pulling me aside and telling me that I don't need to force myself to go out like that and that we could always go to a different scene.

Frankly it's hard to say, I think I actually met more LGBT people when I unintentionally ended up in a gaming group despite only being a casual gamer myself.