09 May 2021, 7:43 pm

Jetso wrote:
I just got it at the Walmart pharmacy.

Same here.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2021, 7:48 pm

Got my second Pfizer shot on Tuesday, nothing to report (from either shot) but a bit of a sore arm for that day and the next, no worse than a tetanus shot. The rest of my immediate family got the same one a little before I did, and none of them complained of anything worse than a bit of soreness, either.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

Redd_Kross
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2021, 7:55 pm

bottleblank wrote:
Yeah, I was a bit concerned at first because I didn't even feel the needle go in, and when I had the chills I thought maybe I'd eaten something bad, I wasn't convinced I'd been given the shot at all. But having heard that others have experienced similar symptoms, I'm now happy enough believing I had it (not that I believed it was some kind of trick, but maybe the needle didn't go where it was supposed to, or the stuff in it wasn't active, I dunno, but I don't think that was the case, I'm sure I've had it now).

Sounds like you had a bit of a rougher time than me though, that sucks. Encouraging to hear that the second one wasn't as bad, I've heard it said that the second is worse, but I guess I'll find out in a month or so. At least yours is done now, like you say, it's out of the way and hopefully we won't need more of them, I'm looking forward to the same, I just want to get back to normal.

Modern needles are very fine. It makes me laugh when I get the "How can you do that?!?" reaction to taking insulin, because 98% of the time it's painless. The Covid shots seem to be similar needles. Yes you'll feel something but it can be very subtle and it doesn't normally hurt. In comparison the needles we had 40 years ago felt like knitting needles!

Some injection pain is definitely fear-related too. Some people get stressed and tense up and then it IS gonna hurt. I have regular blood tests and the nurse that does those is really good. Yeah it stings very slightly but provided I look the other way it's no big deal. :-)

Some people have had very little reaction to either the first or second dose. Now that could be the vaccine but it could also be that they've already had Covid-19 and not realised, which is quite possible. For those who do react it seems to be either one jab or the other that provokes a big response, but not both. So if you had chills with the first one, chances are the second will be fine. Though I'd still buy the aspirin, just in case....

browneyedgirlslowingdown
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 May 2021, 8:14 pm

Yes, my first and second moderna shots.

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 50 of 200
You are very likely on the broader autism cluster (Aspie)
Systemising Quotient (SQ) 78
Empathy Quotient (EQ) 41
CAT-Q 156 Compensation 56 Masking 48 Assimilation 52

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2021, 8:23 pm

Redd_Kross wrote:
bottleblank wrote:
Yeah, I was a bit concerned at first because I didn't even feel the needle go in, and when I had the chills I thought maybe I'd eaten something bad, I wasn't convinced I'd been given the shot at all. But having heard that others have experienced similar symptoms, I'm now happy enough believing I had it (not that I believed it was some kind of trick, but maybe the needle didn't go where it was supposed to, or the stuff in it wasn't active, I dunno, but I don't think that was the case, I'm sure I've had it now).

Sounds like you had a bit of a rougher time than me though, that sucks. Encouraging to hear that the second one wasn't as bad, I've heard it said that the second is worse, but I guess I'll find out in a month or so. At least yours is done now, like you say, it's out of the way and hopefully we won't need more of them, I'm looking forward to the same, I just want to get back to normal.

Modern needles are very fine. It makes me laugh when I get the "How can you do that?!?" reaction to taking insulin, because 98% of the time it's painless. The Covid shots seem to be similar needles. Yes you'll feel something but it can be very subtle and it doesn't normally hurt. In comparison the needles we had 40 years ago felt like knitting needles!

Some injection pain is definitely fear-related too. Some people get stressed and tense up and then it IS gonna hurt. I have regular blood tests and the nurse that does those is really good. Yeah it stings very slightly but provided I look the other way it's no big deal. :-)

Some people have had very little reaction to either the first or second dose. Now that could be the vaccine but it could also be that they've already had Covid-19 and not realised, which is quite possible. For those who do react it seems to be either one jab or the other that provokes a big response, but not both. So if you had chills with the first one, chances are the second will be fine. Though I'd still buy the aspirin, just in case....

I got a ton of blood tests done on me when I was a kid, the doctors thought maybe I had some form of Muscular Dystrophy. Turns out its just a benign genetic mutation, so nothing so bad as that. But yeah due to all those blood tests getting a shot does not bother me at all.

I think one time I freaked out about it and threw a huge fit, cause maybe I was just getting sick of them and maybe got worried they were taking too much blood or something(I was like 7) but yeah other then that I kinda just got used to it.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

10 May 2021, 1:18 am

The needles were tiny and the Moderna doses were 0.5ml everything (including all the stabilisers and water). I barely felt anything.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2021, 1:29 am

I had my first Pfizer on 22 April with no reaction at all. The second one will be on 12 August.

I've had a flu all weekend and my doctor sent me for a Covid test, which was negative. The nurses said it's quite common for people to get Covid despite being vaccinated, but their symptoms seem less pronounced.

bottleblank
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 May 2021, 6:45 am

Redd_Kross wrote:

Yeah, I'm not super phobic when it comes to needles, but I'm not much of a fan, so I looked the other way in anticipation. But as I looked the other way, I thought the guy giving the injection was preparing, then suddenly he just said "all done, you can go now", I didn't have time to think about it because it was over before I even expected it to start, that's why it seemed almost unbelievable that it'd happened initially.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2021, 9:17 am

I have had both shots (Pfizer).  No issues after the first, but after the second...

• First day: A sore arm, and fatigue toward evening.
• Second day: Body aches, greater sensitivity to light and noise, low-grade fever.
• Third day: Normal aches and pains for a man my age, normal sensitivity to light and noise, no fever.

I have felt fine ever since; certainly less anxious about shopping and going to church.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2021, 8:07 pm

I got mine today.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2021, 5:16 pm

My second Moderna shot will be on June 8th.

AngryJackal97
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

17 May 2021, 9:49 pm

Got my second shot back in April at the place I work. It was the Moderna vaccine. Had an immune reaction the day after, but once it went through my system I went to my local Krispy Kreme Donut shop and got a free glazed donut!

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2021, 10:09 pm

I'm still waiting to see if they decide if it's safe or not for COVID survivors to get one or both shots.
I don't think they will ever make up their mind, so I will probably eventually get tired of waiting and just get one and see if I get sicker or not.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

18 May 2021, 4:58 am

SabbraCadabra wrote:
I'm still waiting to see if they decide if it's safe or not for COVID survivors to get one or both shots.
I don't think they will ever make up their mind, so I will probably eventually get tired of waiting and just get one and see if I get sicker or not.

My sister in law got an mRNA shot (I don't remember which one, Pfizer or Moderna) some 8 weeks after having had covid and no particularily problematic side effects. The same with her boyfriend.
I read the main problem may be efficacy - the vaccine may not trigger the right immune response if administered to soon after one had the disease - but not safety. That's why there are recommendations to wait several weeks.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2021, 12:10 am

magz wrote:
My sister in law got an mRNA shot (I don't remember which one, Pfizer or Moderna) some 8 weeks after having had covid and no particularily problematic side effects.

Yeah, there's just so many mixed messages. Some doctors say Long Haulers only need one shot, some are saying to get both, some are saying not to get a shot at all, some are saying to wait until you have no symptoms for two weeks (not holding my breath on that one), some are saying to make sure it's the JNJ vaccine, some are recommending Moderna, etc. etc...

I'm also seeing people in the support groups, some are saying they felt better after the first shot, but they felt TERRIBLE after the second shot. Some are the other way around. But most are saying that "feeling better" only lasts about three weeks, so I don't have any unrealistic expectations there.

*sigh*

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

19 May 2021, 2:25 am

Here, the official recommendations used to be 90 days after the last positive test, now it changed to 30 days.
There are some data indicating that those who have had covid have stronger immune response to the vaccine so one dose may be sufficient - but as more doses are becoming available, my sister in law will get both shots.
If the last positive test was more than 6 months ago, a person is vaccinated like someone who didn't have it.

I usually hear people have worse adverse effects after first dose of AZ and second dose of Pfizer/Moderna.