yes 68%  68%  [ 30 ]
no 30%  30%  [ 13 ]
other answers 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 44

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2021, 10:15 pm

Many people on the spectrum have an intense interest in their favourite things. That means that they're likely to do a lot of research by reading books and looking up info on those subjects. All that time in front of the screen could put a lot of strain on the eyes. That's why it seems that there are more autistic people who need glasses.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2021, 10:20 pm

There were no computer screens when I was a kid. Only TV screens.

Perhaps, there is a higher incidence of autistic folks having unusual vision problems......but uncomplicated nearsightedness, farsightedness, and astigmatism are very common in the general population.

Having uncomplicated nearsightedness, farsightedness, and astigmatism causes folks to need glasses or contact lenses.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2021, 10:40 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I stand by what I said.

It’s wrong to say that I sought to “shut down the discussion.”

It’s a fact that many people, autistic and non autistic, have to wear glasses “all the time”—mostly for nearsightedness until age 40, then for farsightedness (or both) after age 40. And for astigmatism.

You wasn't trying to shut down the discussion.

It is true that glasses are common in NTs too, but for some reason it does seem that a lot of people on the spectrum seem to need (permanent) glasses from a young age (like I'm not talking about people over 40).

In the children's TV show "Arthur" the autistic character, Carl, wore glasses (yes I know Arthur did and he was NT but...you know). And I've often watched documentaries of autism that had autistic teenagers and young adults wearing glasses.
And glasses are brought up a lot on WP too like the majority of people here wear them or have always wore them.

It just seems like there's a commonality of glasses wearing among the autistic community, that's all. And also the same with downs syndrome too, like the OP pointed out.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2021, 10:48 pm

Many people not on the Spectrum, but under 40, also need glasses for uncomplicated nearsightedness.

I just don’t believe it’s very much more common for Spectrumites to need glasses than for NTs to need glasses.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2021, 4:48 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
It’s wrong to say that I sought to “shut down the discussion.”.

Errr I wasn't saying you were. But you said there is no correlation between the two so (judging from the history of past threads) I assumed this was a prelude to closing shop and nothing to see here.

All good carry on folks...

ThisTimelessMoment
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 May 2021, 5:18 am

I had excellent eyesight until a few years ago. Both long and short distance. Then around 45 years old my short distance vision became a problem. Using cheap store bought glasses has made them much worse

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2021, 5:27 am

Funnily enough I'm not the sort of Aspie to correlate everything with autism, but I feel differently about the glasses thing.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2021, 5:32 am

I don’t believe there’s a correlation between the two.

Stating opinions shouldn’t stifle discussion.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2021, 6:49 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I don’t believe there’s a correlation between the two.

Stating opinions shouldn’t stifle discussion.

Fair enough

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2021, 6:51 am

My AS mother didn't need them. I might not have needed them early if someone had just told me WHY they advised against looking at things so close. For most of my life, I was glad to have them as safety glasses, etc. It took me years to realize that my range of focus was going down, affecting my precision work.

Jiheisho
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2021, 10:51 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
Many people on the spectrum have an intense interest in their favourite things. That means that they're likely to do a lot of research by reading books and looking up info on those subjects. All that time in front of the screen could put a lot of strain on the eyes. That's why it seems that there are more autistic people who need glasses.

I did a lot for reading and looking at screens. I had excellent vision for most of my life.

But the idea that reading and looking at screens will damage your eyes is a myth (Google it). You can get eye strain, but that is not permanent.

Jiheisho
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2021, 11:03 am

What I find disturbing is that the this need for glasses as an autistic trait falls into the geek stereotype. I guess I am tired of the Sheldon Cooper autistic geek thing (although ironically, Cooper does not wear glasses).

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2021, 2:31 pm

I can only speak for myself, but I need glasses because of genetics. My brother, both my parents, and both their parents all need glasses, I know that at least in my immediate family everyone first got glasses when we were pretty young (childhood for my mom and me, at least). I’m the only one on the autism spectrum. So in my case, it seems pretty silly to try to blame it on my autism or anything related to it. But I suppose my family would be a better set for the question “are people who need glasses more likely to be autistic” rather than the other way around.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2021, 5:56 pm

I have been wearing glasses since I was 18. I just got a new pair because I needed a new pair so I got my eyes checked again since the place I go to does it for free. They make their money from selling glasses is why and contact.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2021, 8:45 pm

For a while I had glasses to help me see stuff like further away...but I didn't stick to wearing them and didn't seem like I really needed them and idk having them on kept feeling weird so yeah didn't stick to that and I do not wear any glasses now.

Redd_Kross
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2021, 8:55 pm

It's complicated.

Yes, Autism could = glasses.

However, autism habits / interests / behaviours could also = sight deterioration = glasses.

One is a fixed relationship, the other rather more variable.

And that's before we factor in things like age and other health conditions.

I conform to the stereotype here, I wear glasses all the time. Putting my glasses on is the first thing I do in the morning, and taking them off is the last thing I do at night.

If I lose my glasses I can't see well enough to find them again.

But I have had autoimmune diabetes for 41 years. And I'm a sample group of one.