yes 68%  68%  [ 30 ]
no 30%  30%  [ 13 ]
other answers 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 44

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2021, 8:56 pm

I do a lot of close work, so I kept getting stronger prescriptions. Then I realized that if the horizon was starting to look fuzzy, all I had to do was try to study it for a few minutes a day to avoid an upgrade.
My left eye had always been much worse, but then when I started using it for a bike helmet mirror, it became best for distant vision, with my right eye focussing closer.
When I eventually got a new prescription, I went for bifocals, and they were maddening. I could drive or text (which I don't do) but not read a desktop monitor. The optometrist knew I was using the split range trick, but ruined it for me. Luckily, I discovered cheap glasses on-line, tested my eyes myself, and got 3 other pairs for intermediate ranges.
I used my knowledge of structures to find the frames that don't have a good place for a crack to start even with frequent removal.

longshot
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2021, 10:49 am

Difficult to know, unless you developed visual problems early in childhood as: I, did as far back as elementary school to be precise.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2021, 11:35 am

I think the answer we might be able to all agree on is that a lot (not all) of younger NTs that permanently wear glasses use contact lenses, while autistic people would prefer to just make do with glasses. But I might be wrong.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2021, 1:04 pm

Glasses are actually "in" these days.

Gone are the "four-eyes" insults of the old days.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2021, 1:30 pm

Then how come this?

viewtopic.php?t=396033

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2021, 1:39 pm

Why?

Because his parents have old-fashioned notions about glasses.

There are people who actually wear glasses with non-prescription lenses, even if they don't need glasses.

Glasses are definitely "hip" these days.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2021, 7:30 pm

Usually when an NT (under 40) says they need glasses to wear all the time, they wear their glasses for a few weeks then I never see them in glasses again, so they must switch to contact lenses.

Me and one of my cousins (who is the only cousin who's a possible Aspie) are the only two people under 40 in my family who have the "weakest" eyesight. All my other cousins are NTs and they don't seem to need glasses (I'm close to my cousins so I'd know if they used contacts or not). My eyesight isn't weak enough to need glasses all the time but I do need them for seeing words at a long distance. But I could wear glasses all the time to improve my sight, as I don't feel it's as strong as the others (although it's not weak enough to put me in any danger).

Also I know a woman who didn't need glasses but had 3 sons; two autistic and one NT, and the two autistic boys wore glasses all the time but the NT boy didn't need glasses.

Aprilviolets
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2021, 9:47 pm

I've always worn glasses, and the past few years I've had to have reading glasses as well.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2021, 11:40 pm

I desperately need high-prescription reading glasses or I can't read anything - even huge bold print - at any distance. I'm so blind without them that I just leave them on all day and look over the top for distance. I think they're in the 5's for strength but I can't find my prescription paper.

I didn't start needing glasses until I was about 28.

I also need prism glasses for driving because of my stroke which caused double vision, but that's not autism related.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2021, 8:16 am

I started needing glasses a little before I actually got them at age 12.

Then, I needed reading glasses/bifocals around the age of 41.

This scenario happens with lots of people autistic and non-autistic.