yes 68%  68%  [ 30 ]
no 30%  30%  [ 13 ]
other answers 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 44

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2021, 11:07 am

Come off of it - I bet the majority of autistics under 40 here on WP do wear glasses and have needed glasses since either childhood or early adulthood.

It is true that most people, autistic or not, need glasses after middle age (40 or 50).

Caz72
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2021, 11:11 am

yes i did mean younger autistics...sorry if i didnt make that clear in my op

i dont like it when naturalplastic has a go at people if they dont write their threads the way he likes it if you dont like a thread then dont post simple as that

writing and comprehension isnt my strong point sorry about that

does that make me too stupid for wp

Jiheisho
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2021, 11:17 am

Caz72 wrote:
yes i did mean younger autistics...sorry if i didnt make that clear in my op

i dont like it when naturalplastic has a go at people if they dont write their threads the way he likes it if you dont like a thread then dont post simple as that

writing and comprehension isnt my strong point sorry about that

does that make me too stupid for wp

You might be onto something:

Eyeing the connection between autism and vision

But like most things, it is complicated. Vision can also be better:

autism often accompanied by super-vision

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2021, 12:17 pm

The first eye test I can remember having was during my 1st term at public school. I got specs a few months later. It was just before or after my 14th birthday.

Juliette
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2021, 1:08 pm

I never needed glasses, nor did any of my autistic brothers and sister.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2021, 1:41 pm

Glasses are actually hip these days :)

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2021, 1:44 pm

Most people need reading glasses when they’re in their 40s.

I started wearing glasses for nearsightedness at age 12, and bifocals around age 41.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2021, 1:46 pm

I don't have glasses, but I do need them.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2021, 1:50 pm

I need glasses for distance but I blame staring at screens for my whole life and getting smashed in the face with a big rock, not autism.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

NaturalEntity
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2021, 1:57 pm

I do need glasses but that's because I am visually impaired. Nothing to do with my autism this time.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2021, 2:00 pm

Caz: you’re smart enough for me :)

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2021, 2:47 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
This thread ought to be ripped from the soil by the root like that the idiotic weed that it is.

If you're gonna have a poll: have SOME mercy on your tortured victim please! Your victim being...truth. :lol:

First off...just tell the readers this: "NO one over forty can can respond to this poll" ( because most folks, including folks who never wore glasses most of their lives- like moi- DO need at least over the counter reading glasses at middle age).

Second make separate check boxes for NTs and for ASDs. Do you need glasses and are NT? Do you NOT need glasses and are NT? Do you need glasses and are on the autism spectrum? Are you autistic, but do NOT need glasses?

Like that.

That way you have at least a crudely scientific sample rather than this nonsense. At least make a crude attempt to actually test your hypothesis: that autism correlates with eye glass wearing.

The main function of a forum poll is not to acquire meaningful data. It's to engage readers into participating in the thread. Apparently, you didn't know that.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2021, 2:57 pm

Conjectures without PubMed articles:

Autistics tend to waste more time on screens than neurotypicals, and excessive screen viewing destroys vision

Autistics tend to eat limited diets , and that could cause insufficient nutrition for eye health

Autistics are not more likely to need glasses than neurotypicals, but autistics don't wear contacts as frequently

(Zero double blind studies cited under APA or MLA notation)

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2021, 6:57 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Autism DOES NOT correlate with eyeglass wearing.

The profession of optometry is alive and well.....as long as laser surgery continues to cost an arm and a leg.

I would say, actually, that the majority of people over about age 12 need glasses for SOMETHING.

Before shutting down the discussion there may be something worth looking into, My best guess is a lot of autistic kids are obsessed with i) reading and ii) screen time so it's not a far stretch many of them end up with vision issues.

My daughter's eyesight was exceptionally good before COVID but the lockdown mean't she had nothing to do but stare at screens all day (despite out attempts for her to do other things). The teachers noticed she was struggling seeing the board when sitting at the back of the class so that's when we realised she needed glasses.

Caz72
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2021, 6:59 pm

may i also point out that im talking about autistic people who need to wear glasses all the time not just for reading or driving

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2021, 9:14 pm

I stand by what I said.

It’s wrong to say that I sought to “shut down the discussion.”

It’s a fact that many people, autistic and non autistic, have to wear glasses “all the time”—mostly for nearsightedness until age 40, then for farsightedness (or both) after age 40. And for astigmatism.