I got stood up - no reason given

Page 2 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Gentleman Argentum
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2021, 11:16 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
Gentleman Argentum wrote:
I heard from a woman on an online dating site. She immediately gave me her number, which struck me as unusual, but I rejoiced at the speed with which we could transfer to voice, because I prefer talking to typing.

Upon calling her, she had little to say. I did almost all the talking, she was very quiet even though I paused often to give her a chance to speak. The most I could get out of her was "yes", "uh-huh," "sure," or "no". If a question required more, she would supply the minimum. She had no questions for me at all. She gave only the vaguest details about her life.

Another thing I noticed was she coughed quite a bit, yet denied being sick. Honestly, I thought she had just been doing bong rips when I called. I thought she was quiet because she was high.

She invited me out for drinks that same night, which also shocked me. I declined, because I don't drink. I suggested instead that we go out to a nice restaurant on Saturday at noon, and she accepted. I thought the idea pleased her. I asked her whether she liked Thai food, she said yes. The time, 12pm, good? Yes. I even texted her the exact location, so that she could use her phone to get there. The restaurant was a 40 mile drive for me, but only 10 miles for her.

Well...12pm rolls around, I'm sitting in the restaurant with my iced tea. No show. No text, no message, no call, nothing.

What is gained by this kind of behavior? Why not just tell someone that something came up, you can't come?
I bought lunch anyway for myself, came home and wrote a brief message to her: "You stood me up, why?" I doubt I'll get any reply.

My best guess is she went out drinking with another guy. Probably getting drunk is what she was after. Am I right?

I have no need for booze and so am like an alien from another planet. :alien:

Thank goodness I am corresponding with other women.

That sucks man, but yeah idk why someone would agree to a specific plan and then just blow it off like that without even so much as a text of like maybe something came up and they're sorry they couldn't make it.

But I mean on the other hand if they can't even keep a planned date like maybe its better they didn't show up so you don't have to waste as much time with someone who just flakes out on everything. But still sorry that happened I hope you at least enjoyed the Thai food lunch you bought yourself sounds delicious to me.

Thank you for the well-wishing, I at least found a nice new Thai place, it is pretty good in terms of service, food and location, I had no complaints. Perhaps I will be meeting someone else, someone nicer there one day.

Gentleman Argentum
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2021, 11:25 am

Mona Pereth wrote:
I heard from a woman on an online dating site. She immediately gave me her number, which struck me as unusual, but I rejoiced at the speed with which we could transfer to voice, because I prefer talking to typing.

The above being the case, she might have just chickened out, perhaps realizing in retrospect that she had given you her phone number prematurely.

Upon calling her,

How soon after she gave you her phone number did you call her?

I thought she was quiet because she was high.

If she was also high, or drunk, or some combination thereof, at the time she gave you her phone number in the first place, she might have regretted her impulsivity upon coming down from said high.

Perhaps she was already starting to have second thoughts at the time of the phone call, which might explain her quietness.

Well...12pm rolls around, I'm sitting in the restaurant with my iced tea. No show. No text, no message, no call, nothing.

What is gained by this kind of behavior? Why not just tell someone that something came up, you can't come?

My guess is that she might have been too embarrassed and/or too scared.

These are all distinct possibilities, assuming she is ASD or something along those lines. It was hard to read her, because she spoke so little. She seemed calm but like I said, one to two word answers to most questions... What kind of a date could I have expected at that rate?

So, to answer your questions - let's see if I remember the details... O.K., was corresponding with me on an online dating site and gave me her number. I log in the next day--because I don't monitor it all the time, just once a day for me, like this site, and Facebook, and all other sites, once a day...BALANCE! :ninja:

So the next day, I see her number, and it's in the morning, so I reply that I will call her after work, 5:30 PM, which I do.

She answers immediately, then ensues the calm, rather uninformative conversation, which I have described, during which she offers to go out for drinks that very night (! but she lives 50 miles away...and I don't drink...and I go to bed early! ha ha ha).... and I point out the distance, and counter with an effort to go out to eat at the Thai restaurant. She says yes and seems pleased.

But one never knows, does one? Who knows what lurks in the heart of woman... or man for that matter? No doubt, second thoughts!

In the event, there I was sitting at a table by my lonesome, corresponding with yet another lady that lives a thousand miles away...we are online penpals, and I told her about getting stood up.

When online peeps treat ya bad, the good thing about online is... ya get online friends to commiserate with you and tell you everything will be okay... :D

Love all you guys! Thank you!