Of course! Never any doubt! 59%  59%  [ 27 ]
No I didn't - what a shock. 30%  30%  [ 14 ]
Who is Elon Musk? 11%  11%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 46

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2021, 6:41 pm

I just read the world news article. Holy crap what a load of stereotyping BS.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2021, 1:36 am

I know who he is, but I don't really know anything about him. Until I watched this video, I didn't even know what he looked like. So I voted for the third option.

Jiheisho wrote:
I love when rich jerks make us the butt of the joke.

You know, he probably wrote 0.0001% of that monologue, and SNL's writing has been pretty bad for a long time.
I still remember cringing over the gay jokes they wrote for Elton John to say about his adopted baby >_<
You couldn't pay me enough to get me to embarrass myself on TV like that.

Edit: Okay, I got about 3.5 minutes into the video, and couldn't take it anymore. This is way worse then Elton John's monologue.

Last edited by SabbraCadabra on 10 May 2021, 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2021, 1:37 am

That honestly does not seem like a suprise.

Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2021, 2:17 am

It's weird, because I'm not at all interested in what he's doing and never been, but the NT world seems head over heels for anything he does. Will this be a funny case of the NT world embracing a person with purported AS more than the AS community itself? Reminds me a bit about the Greta story.

In any case, although I personally don't care about Musk, if the "regular" world starts having a more positive view of autism and see that very (by common standards) successful people can have it and be subject to its good and bad sides, that's good for me to. Maybe one day I'll actually find it reasonable - shock! - to reveal my condition to other people. Just hoping people won't automatically assign everything that is annoying with Musk to his AS, and instead take a comprehensive view of the disorder and how very diverse it is. One can only hope.

At the very least, the person himself confirming it is eons better than speculative diagnoses of Einstein, Newton, and Grog the Caveman.

bottleblank
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 May 2021, 6:33 am

1986 wrote:
It's weird, because I'm not at all interested in what he's doing and never been, but the NT world seems head over heels for anything he does. Will this be a funny case of the NT world embracing a person with purported AS more than the AS community itself? Reminds me a bit about the Greta story.

He was rich and famous long before anybody even mentioned the word "Aspergers" in relation to him, so this is just a footnote in his career as a multi-millionaire tech superstar. I don't expect anybody's opinion of him or of Aspergers/autism will change substantially in the long run. The focus will quickly switch back from this to "he launched more rockets/satellites and made more futuristic cars" or whatever it is he's going to invest in next.

I don't think any diagnosis he does or doesn't have is going to move any needles with regard to acceptance and understanding. As I mentioned in a previous comment in this thread, he got lucky irrespective of his position on or off of the spectrum. It's a lot easier to be successful when you've got the financial and social backing of wealthy international family and friends. That's an immediate advantage, right from the day you're born, compared to even a perfectly "normal" neurotypical person who didn't happen to have rolled those same dice. I don't feel he represents anything about a typical aspie, except perhaps the claims of an unhappy childhood, but he was clearly able to invest his way past that.

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2021, 7:01 am

Here’s the clip :

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fCF8I_X1qKI

Unfortunately there are no biological markers for ASD so there are two explanations:-

1. There is an ultra small % of super high functioning aspies with some traits of ASD that don’t have the problems that nearly all of us have. In fact they may have a completely different condition since as there is no scientific agreement of what causes ASD also no one knows what causes Elon’s brain to be the way it is.

I don’t think he’s a fair representation of autism anymore than someone wearing spectacles respresents the blind and it would be disastrous for us if the public thought he was.

2. It’s all a gimmick he may think or have been told he is an aspie and identities as one without a formal diagnosis which is very common.

Worse it may just be a way to gain sympathy or victim status so loved by celebs to excuse their behavior so people think he’s not just an a.hole.

Until he reveals he has a formal diagnosis I would be very skeptical

- George Bernie Shaw

Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2021, 8:27 am

I have heard people speculate that Musk had Aspergers.
He is mistaken about being the first host to have it though, Dan Aykroyd had hosted in 2003.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2021, 8:34 am

Somehow, it makes sense.

Given enough money, how many of us would have done some of the "weird" things he has done?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

10 May 2021, 8:59 am

Fnord wrote:
Given enough money, how many of us would have done some of the "weird" things he has done?
Excellent point :lol:
"What would you do if you were a super-rich celebrity?" feels like a fun game :D

I have great difficulty imagining myself... probably live in my personal library. But my husband would likely play with experimental aircraft and make a few headlines with some of the more experimental ones crashing :D

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2021, 9:04 am

magz wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Excellent point!  "What would you do if you were a super-rich celebrity?" feels like a fun game.  I have great difficulty imagining myself... probably live in my personal library.  But my husband would likely play with experimental aircraft and make a few headlines with some of the more experimental ones crashing.
I would build a castle -- a real castle -- complete with throne room, dungeons, moat, secret passages, parapet, towers, et cetera.  Of course, it would have all modern amenities, and the antenna suite would make it look like a mad scientist's lair, but so what?

No one would care, as long as I did not let the dragon off its chain...

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2021, 11:10 am

Yeah, It's True, Now, While Personally i wouldn't

Trade Places For Any Amount of Money or 'Stuff' With Elon Musk';

'This Thread' Has Been A Bit Unreasonable, For Some of the Opinions

As That Relates to His Personal Accomplishments in Life that Most Couldn't

Fathom to Touch'; Let's go By Facts; Not Just Opinions to Assess that; In the Land

Of Subjective Judgement, there is No Doubt Some of Mr. Musk's Functional Disabilities

In Cognitive Empathy, in Saying Things And Doing Things that Harm Other Folks Is Real As He Doesn't

Seem to Have the ability to always Put Himself in the Shoes of Others as Functional Cognitive Empathy 'Demands';

The Harm He Has Done though, Pales in Comparison to Bishops Who Haven't Required Masks In Masses in the Peak of
A Deadly Pandemic; Supported the Lies of Donald J Trump And Continuing to Denigrate the Humanity of
Transgender and Homosexual Folks All Around the World to A Tune That Yes Does Pale in

Comparison;

And Yes Is Socially

Accepted Within the
Walls of Institutional
Approved Ignorance in

Cognitive Empathy of Other Folks

Who Live in A Different World than they
Do; A Much Different World indeed, Yet

Just Another Part of Mother Nature, They Don't Personally Experience...

Anyway, 'Sheep' Blindly Follow them (Popes, Bishops, Priests, Etc) Off Cliffs to Avoid Being
Who They Are; And Remaining Unmasked in a Deadly Pandemic, Along With Being
Chastised By Bishops in the Name of So-Called Jesus, if the Ones Who Do Safely
Stay Masked in a Deadly Pandemic in Masses Criticize those who Risk the

Sanctity of Breathing

Life And Aren't Even

Strong Enough to Lift

A Mask; Not Nearly A Cross

To Save the Sanctity of Breathing

Life in A Deadly Pandemic'; Talk About

The Essence of Not Laying Down Your Life

For Your Neighbor And Not Even Caring if they

Die As A Result of Ignorance in Behavior in Non-Caring About Neighbors';

Thing is, They Can't Blame A Medical Condition For Their Harming, Maiming, Killing Ways;

Organized Deceit, Institutionally Approved, is A Killing Field That Takes Away Innocent Lives

In the Socially Approved Politics of Unwarranted Lies the Same; Yes, Ignorance Harms, Rapes,
Maims, Kills Human Beings and Destroys the Sanctity of Life too in Extinction of Plant And Animals
Species Coming to the Table of Plenty, Killing 1 in 8 Species Canceled in the Coming Decades For Real...

Let's Face it, Elon Musk Has Done Some Cringe Worthy Harming Things in Life in Terms of Words and Deeds;

Yet On the Other Hand, Not Unlike The Same With Steve Jobs, And Bill Gates, at least on a Broader
Autism Phenotype as Assessed by Simon Baron Cohen In Difficulties With Cognitive Empathy And
Yes Potentially Affective Empathy too; Those Folks Surely Made Similar Mistakes in Life; However

Their Contributions

to Humanity

Have Changed

The World in Positive

Ways too; Elon Musk Assessed

As Potentially Becoming the First Trillionaire

By 2025, Has the Potential to Do Much Greater Things

For Humanity; Not Unlike Bill Gates Who survived to Do that too;

Personally, i Appreciate the Personal Computer Bill helped Develop to
Gain a 'Splinter Skill' on the Side that Helped me become Financially Independent
By Age 47; And Without my iMac, There is No Damn Way i could Have Accomplished

What i've done in Art Just For Fun in my Retirement Years too; As Microsoft Products

Have Been too Damn Flaky in Quality And Not Nearly 'Aesthetic' Enough to Allow Distraction Free Productivity;

Yeah, Like Viruses that Requires A Complete Re-install of the Software, Often, And Just Plain Chaos for Design
of Software that is Hugely Inefficient For Laser Focus Productivity; This May Have Changed now; Yet Before 2013
It Was Just Plain Cr8p in my Opinion; And Better Before they So-called improved it Starting With Everything After
'Windows XP' Then...

Yet on the Other Hand,
What Microsoft Brought
To the 'Table of Plenty'

Back in the 90's, Gifted
me An Avenue to become
Financially Independent; Again, Yes

By Age 47; No Matter How Horrible

Bill Gates Was to His Employees; Like

Elon Musk Is Now too in Middle Age;

Elon Musk Is A Star of Capitalism,

What Many Folks Worship in Life;

How Folks Still Worship Trump; Who
Is not Nearly As accomplished in the Art
of Capitalism As Musk Is; And as Far As Having

A Silver Spoon; Go Read An actual Biography of His

Life; Never Mind, i'll Provide Quotes Here That Relate His Humble Origins in 'The Real World':

Quote:
'An awkward and introverted child,[21] Musk was bullied throughout
his childhood and was once hospitalized after a group of boys threw him down a flight of stairs'

Quote:
'Aware it would be easier to enter the United States from Canada,[24] Musk applied for a Canadian passport through his Canadian-born mother.[25][26] While awaiting the documentation, he attended the University of Pretoria for five months; this allowed Musk to avoid mandatory service in the South African military.[27] Arriving in Canada in June 1989, Musk failed to locate his great-uncle in Montreal and instead stayed at a youth hostel. He then traveled west to live with a second-cousin in Saskatchewan.[28] He stayed there for a year, working odd jobs at a farm and lumber-mill.[29] In 1990, Musk entered Queen's University in Kingston, Ontario.[30][31] Two years later, he transferred to the University of Pennsylvania; he graduated in 1997 with a Bachelor of Science (BS) degree in economics from the Wharton School and a Bachelor of Arts (BA) degree in physics.'[32][33][34]

'In 1994, Musk held two internships in Silicon Valley during the summer: at an energy storage startup called Pinnacle Research Institute, which researched electrolytic ultracapacitors for energy storage, and at the Palo Alto-based startup Rocket Science Games.[35] In 1995, Musk was accepted to a Ph.D. program in energy physics/materials science at Stanford University in California.[36] Musk attempted to get a job at Netscape but never received a response to his inquiries.[25] He dropped out of Stanford after two days, deciding instead to join the Internet boom and launch an Internet startup.'[37]

It's Worth Noting Per the Last Link Below that Musk is Criticized for Using the Term
Asperger's As It's Considered A Racist Term Now That Hans Aspergers Is Tied More
Into the Nazi Regime of His Days; So if Anyone Still uses the Term in their Life;

You Can Thank Mr. Musk

For Having the 'Balls' To Still Use It...

i sure am Glad, i Don't Have to Bow to Any Target Audiences in Life...

Asperger's Syndrome Has its Ups and Downs; Yes, Gifts and Curses;

i've Said Cringe Worthy Things in my Life too that Hurt Folk's Feelings;

Yet, i Just Said What Was Literally On my Mind; i Still Do; It's the way it is...

i've Improved in that way Far Beyond Elon Musk; Yet At His Age Now, Not so Much...

People Aren't always Nice; Not Even The People Who Eventually Help Humanity Most...

Go Figure,

Multiply

And Divide

And Don't throw

The Baby of Survival

of the Species Out With 'The Dirty Water'...

i'll Probably Go Back to 'The Evil Catholic Church'

Too as i Love Singing, And Find the Songs They Sing Very Uplifting

And Full Of Love; Some of them Written by Gay Jesuit Priests too; Ironically So...

And no, i'm Not Gonna 'Cancel' my iMac, or iPhone Because Steve Jobs Could BE A Real 'A Hole' too...

Life is A Struggle

'We' All Better Grow

Some Thicker Skin, If We Are Gonna Survive in the Longest

Runs And As Hard As it may Be to Do; We Better Not Throw

Out Love And Empathy too..

Yang and

Yin

Baby,

It's Nothing New;

And i Realize Not All Have A Capacity to Do it;

Dark and Light; Night And Day; the SHows Go on...

Elon Musk is An Enigma; If We Understand

Everywhere He's Been And is still going...

Wouldn't Wanna Be In 'His'

Shoes Now, Yet 'Someone' Has

to Be 'Him' Until He Changes... As We All Do Now...

i Thought the Saturday Night Live Show Was

Hilarious; i Have No Problem Admitting

i am 'A Wittiest Fool' too...

He Didn't Apologize; That's

Who He Is too; Dark and Light like the Rest of Us...

Other than That He's A Better Representation of Asperger's Syndrome

Than What We Had in December 2012, With An Elementary School Shooting then...

Yes, Now There is Greta and Musk For Real; Controversial, Yet Changing the World For Real....

Go Figure,

Eccentric

is 'The Same Old New Wave' of Change...

Other than that; As Eccentric and Different As

i am Now; The 'Wrong Planet' Has Been the Most Difficult (Even Trump Town USA)

Place i've Traveled in Life to Be Accepted Or Even Tolerated Enough to Even Exist...

That's Ironic; Yet What Happens When Cats Try to Herd each other; hehe... In Other

Places

Pure

Bliss Baby...

Even Named An Angel With Wings....

It's Okay to Be Different, Make Mistakes,

And Change For the Better too....

It's Okay

It's Okay...

And Grow Some Teeth And Claws

And Even Bring Lion Hugs too Instead of 'Eating Cubs'...

Maybe Not Everyone 'Sees' It; Yet, i Already Intuit Musk

Will Help the World Better In Years to come; He Doesn't Quit; He Perseveres...

He Perseveres...

He Perseveres...

The Core of Survival...

The Reality of Every Breath We Take Now...

It Doesn't Always Smell Good; Life In 'the Big City' And 'Smaller Larger Places' too...

Other Than All of This, There Was 'A Revenge of the Nerds' Movies Series Back in the 80's;

It's Worth Noting That Prophecy Is Fulfilled Now; In case Anyone hasn't Noticed Most Everyone
Lives

In 'Their'

Systemizing

World in A 6 Inch Screen;

Who Would Have Ever Thought it Possible;

Someone Did; Didn't Quit; And Here We aRe in A Truly Different World Online;

A Place With No Sun or Moon; A Place Relatively, Where There is No Distance,

Space or Time, Even Matter; Where Souls Are Uploaded Through Fiber Optic Cables

Continuing to Exist at the Speed of Light Traveling Around the Globe As i Fit All 242 Pounds

Of my Body

And Beyond

Measure of my

Soul in Words on a 6 inch

Screen too; Wow, It's Amazing; Yet

Maybe, You'd Have to Live in 'the Other

World' For Decades; to Really See The Difference This
Change Makes; It's Not All Good; It's Not All Bad; Yin And Yang Is the Same Different...

Yet This is For God Damn Sure;

If Not For Folks Like Elon

Musk, And Gates

And Einstein too, We'd Still Be Living in a Frigging Cave...

With No Fabulous Place to Create Brand New Cave Art Either...

Ha Ha Ha; It's Not So Bad Being A Nerd With Asperger's Syndrome

After All is Said and Done...

i Don't 'Know' About

Y'all' Yet

i'm Enjoying

All of this Last Laugh FirsT... HeHE...

There Are Drones And Queen/King Bees; Welcome to 'The Hive'...

Humans Are Resourceful Little Critters, Indeed; Go Elon GO;

'Just Do It'; Change The World.... Better If WE Can and Will...

'Key':
IS:
'WiLL'... NoW
Like A Name
OF A NeW Baby Never Heard Before...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elon_Musk

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com

https://www.news18.com/news/buzz/elon-musk-should-have-called-it-asd-on-snl-aspergers-is-nazi-and-outdated-3723488.html

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2021, 11:29 am

Just a quick check of some of Elon Musk's major accomplishments:

• He was so quiet as a child that his parents thought he was deaf.  It's been reported that Musk read the entire Encyclopedia Britannica by age nine.  Musk taught himself to write computer code at the age of 12 and created a video game called Blastar, which he ended up selling for $500 to PC and Office Technology magazine.

• In 2018, Musk sent a Tesla sportscar into space.  Musk sent his own Tesla sportscar as the payload for the launch of his Falcon Heavy rocket.

• Musk dropped out from two different schools.  Musk left Queen's University to study at the University of Pennsylvania.  After graduating from U-Penn, he went to Stanford University in California to get his Ph.D. in energy physics but dropped out after two days to launch Zip2 Corporation.

• Musk drove his first car until one of its wheels fell off. The first car that Musk ever owned was a BMW 320I.  He bought the car for $1,400 in 1994 and drove it for two years until one of its wheels fell off.

• Musk founded a company after getting sick of dealing with Los Angeles traffic.  The Boring Company was born from a frustrating day sitting in traffic.  In December 2016, Musk tweeted, "I am going to build a tunnel boring machine and just start digging."  By January 2017, conversation with regulatory bodies was underway.

• Musk has founded eight companies to date.  Musk founded Zip2, PayPal, SpaceX, Tesla, Hyperloop, OpenAI, Neuralink, and The Boring Company.

• Musk made history with SpaceX.  On May 30, SpaceX launched The Crew Dragon, marking the first time ever that astronauts had traveled to orbit in a spacecraft that was built and operated by a private company.

• Musk was bullied as a kid.  Musk was the youngest and smallest boy in his class, and he was often bullied.  He ended up in the hospital once after a group of boys pushed him down a flight of stairs and said he was "almost beaten to death" on one occasion.  As a result, he learned karate, judo and wrestling at age 15.

• Musk's IQ is estimated to be 155.

:D

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2021, 11:31 am

Someone might like to know that I don't read center-justified, short lines.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2021, 11:34 am

Dear_one wrote:
I do, but only when (1) it makes sense, and (2) when it is a single caption under an image.

Otherwise, it is automatically the old "tl;dr;dc" routine when I see certain users' names.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2021, 2:28 pm

Ditto

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2021, 2:51 pm

Dear_one wrote:

i Read 20 Times Faster Than the 'Average Human'

When Properly Focused; And Write Poetry Free Verses In ReVerse;

Not All Of Us Have The Same

Talents;

This Is True;

And Yes, i Find It Interesting

That You Don't Read Center

Justified Short Lines; i For One Am

Able to Decode Most Everything in Life i come across; Just the Way i am born;

And Continue to Evolve; Truly, i am a Fortunate One, To Be Able to Absorb it all

'Lightening Fast'; It's

Okay

With

Me that

You Don't Read It;

Additionally, i Leg Press

Up to 1520 Pounds, Approaching

Age 61, on 6.6.21; More than Any
Dude At A Military Gym, i Work-out
At; Yet There Was A Man A Few Years
Older than You at age 75, Who Still Squatted 450 Pounds...

That's Impressive; Some Folks Don't See it as Impressive; So what...

i Don't Expect You to Do That Either; And As the Last
Kid Picked in Sports in School, No one expected me

to Be An Athletic Director Of A Military

Installation and Become a Public

Dance Legend At My Age

too now at 14,844 Miles of
Public Dance, Farther Than
Half the Distance around the Globe;

It's Probably why i laud What Mr.

Musk Has Actually Done in Life, With No Reservation, Restraint, or Hesitation...

He's Overcome Struggles And Become All He Can and Will Be With All His Flaws

And Failures In Tow; As A Child Not Speaking Until Age 4, i Do Recognize

His Achievements; And i Am Happy For Everyone's Achievements in Life...

And i Realize What It Also Takes to Graduate With 3 College Degrees and Gain
Financial Independence By Age 47, Writing A 9.2 MiLLioN World Long
Form Poem As Well as Dancing 14,844 Miles of Public Dancing in 92 Months;

And It's true, i Have Over 2,000 Selfie Photos With the Loveliest Young Women
In My Metro Area, Whose Ecstatic Smiles of Joy Make It All Worth Doing too; And True

Millions of Folks Around the

Globe Have Read What i Write...

Responses i Find Everywhere

Else, Yet Here, Are Basically

That Others Find It Amazing;

And True, Links And Quotes

to Prove it too; For Any Naysayers;

Yet, You'll Never Know As You Don't

Read Short Lines in Center Justification;

Others Will; I'll Be Damned, We Are Not all the Same;

Yes, i understand

Not Everyone

Is The Same;

i Surely Don't

Mind if You Don't Read What i Write;

Am i worried About It; Not in the least;

In Fact, You've Inspired These Words;

Over 50,500 Views In A Thread of

Only me, Suggests That You Might

Just be in a 'Verbal Minority', Even Here, hehe;

One Cannot Bring a Mountain Down When It Is A Valley;

i Don't Expect You to Understand that Last Line either with Smiles;

Some will...

And That's

Great too..:)

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick