Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2021, 4:08 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Two different Autistic perspectives

Elon Musk Revealed He Has Autism. It's a Milestone for People Like Me
Quote:
When Elon Musk took the stage to host Saturday Night Live last week, controversy ensued, with cast members expressing their displeasure on social media. And yet, it was on another front entirely that Musk made news on Saturday night, announcing casually that during his opening monologue that he was "making history tonight as the first person with Asperger's to host SNL."

He received enormous applause for the revelation from the audience

Still, despite the pushback, some of it justified, Musk's announcement represents a small but significant milestone in the history of neurodiversity. When you consider how few autistic public figures of his stature there are, his mere mention of his neurodivergence is a potential gateway to greater visibility and acceptance.

In 1986, Temple Grandin broke barriers when she published her book Emergence, making her one of the first people to speak publicly about her autism, and for decades she was almost singularly synonymous with autism, with an award-winning HBO movie about her life. But outside science and academia, there have been few celebrities on the spectrum to truly break through into the public consciousness, a lack of visibility has created a misperception of what autism is.

I can attest to this because I'm autistic, and until I was diagnosed at 25, I had wrongly associated it with being confined to a particular type of person with unusual behavioral issues and more pronounced learning disabilities.

For Elon Musk to proudly declare he has Asperger's is significant, considering he's one of the wealthiest people in the world and seen by many as a pop culture icon. Whatever one makes of his controversial persona, it's affirming to see someone so accomplished proudly share he's on the spectrum when for so long, that's been considered an unspeakable thing. When he made his statement and received applause, it was nice to see. I also recognized for the first time some of the traits we share, notably, his bobbing shoulders and the wavy cadence to his speech.

Musk's casual mention of autism in his monologue also signals a broader cultural shift in the way society perceives marginalized identities. But his announcement also comes with a certain civic responsibility. According to MarketWatch, 85 percent of college grads on the autism spectrum are unemployed, compared to the national unemployment rate of 4.5 percent. And according to the A.J. Drexel Autism Institute, young adults on the autism spectrum have the lowest employment rate among people with disabilities. 42 percent of young adults in their early 20s on the autism spectrum have never held a paying job, a figure that's even lower for autistic young adults who are Black and Hispanic.

I think the bigger point is that Autistic people have a higher unemployment rate than a lot of other people with disabilities," autistic writer and author of the forthcoming book "We're Not Broken" Eric Garcia explained. "They have trouble not just getting jobs but retaining jobs. They have trouble also moving up in companies."

I'm glad that Musk is proud enough of who he is as an autistic person to announce it on TV, but the bottom line is what kinds of support and accommodations he offers to the other folks on the spectrum who work at his companies," Steve Silberman, the author of a bestselling book on the history of autism, "NeuroTribes," told me.

Musk may not be the ideal role model for the autistic community and its urgent needs, but with so few public figures to look up to, the significance of his announcement can't be dismissed either. Many people admire the billionaire, and it's exciting that he has admitted that he's a member of the autism community.

Given the fact that autistic adults were virtually invisible to society until Temple Grandin's "coming out" in the 1980s, the billionaire's celebration of his neurodivergence is a sign of social progress. No longer something to be feared, it's something to take pride in.

It took me over two decades to feel that for myself.

This is positive, imo.

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2021, 8:52 pm

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2021, 5:20 pm

BeaArthur wrote:
TMZ makes like this is breaking news: https://www.tmz.com/2021/05/08/elon-musk-aspergers-syndrome-snl-host/

Personally, most of us find this to be old news.

LOL :)

Aspie With Attitude
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Jun 2021, 5:37 am

This is where I explain how I knew along the way that Elon Musk was autistic.

I also make fantasy test card animation and mix my own music.

Please follow this link to subscribe to my YouTube Channel "Aspie With Attitude" --> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL2iDI ... Hb4eeYlodQ

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2021, 9:43 am

Elon Musk named Time magazine's 2021 Person of the Year

Quote:
Elon Musk has been named Time magazine's Person of the Year for 2021.

The CEO of Tesla and SpaceX and the wealthiest person in the world has remained a central figure in news as he and his businesses continue to frame the future of automobiles and space travel.

"He is reshaping life on Earth and possibly life off Earth as well," Time Editor-In-Chief Edward Felsenthal said during live appearance on TODAY Monday.

The business magnate is the richest person on the planet according to Forbes with an estimated net worth of $265.4 billion.

"We are in this new gilded age where, like it or not, so much of our lives, even in this moment of incredible inequality, are being shaped by these very wealthy tech leaders," Felsenthal said on TODAY.

Time's Person of the Year title, named by the magazine's editors at the end of each calendar year since its inception in 1927, is not necessarily an award or an honor, but is representative of the influence the person or persons had on the news over the previous year.

Greta Thunberg was named Time’s person of the year in 2019 so two out of the last three Time’s people of the year are openly Autistic which is pretty amazing.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2021, 3:54 pm

Autism is a 20th century temporary medical label given to name many unexplained brain conditions identified in the 1940`s, given because they needed at least a name for it.

In approx. 85% of cases, it’s still largely unexplained and many autism(s) have very different causes, symptoms and levels of severity that impact on quality of life.

Which is why they call it idiopathic ASD - When an autism is of unknown origin

So, famous rich man and business leader with no real disabilities whatsoever announces on TV that he has an unexplained brain condition.

Then others too although disabled with a poor quality of life by a different unexplained brain condition, celebrate believing they have something in common with a billionaire with no real issues and great quality of life, because they share the same official temporary umbrella label

Rather comical if it wasn’t so tragic :lol:

- George Bernie Shaw

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2021, 5:36 pm

carlos55 wrote:
Autism is a 20th century temporary medical label given to name many unexplained brain conditions identified in the 1940`s, given because they needed at least a name for it.

In approx. 85% of cases, it’s still largely unexplained and many autism(s) have very different causes, symptoms and levels of severity that impact on quality of life.

Which is why they call it idiopathic ASD - When an autism is of unknown origin

So, famous rich man and business leader with no real disabilities whatsoever announces on TV that he has an unexplained brain condition.

Then others too although disabled with a poor quality of life by a different unexplained brain condition, celebrate believing they have something in common with a billionaire with no real issues and great quality of life, because they share the same official temporary umbrella label

Rather comical if it wasn’t so tragic :lol:

Party Pooper :)

Getting more serious any autistic who uses these celebrity disclosures or coming out to think they have much in common with Elon Musk or Melanie Sykes is delusional. What is even worse is those Autistics who see these and believe the only reason they are failing in life is those s NT’s are just too stupid to understand their Autistic “superpowers”. Same with “retro diagnosed” historical figures.

These famous people can be useful to demonstrate that autistic traits does not mean they are going to fail at everything for the remainder of their lives. The suicide rates among autistic people is atrocious. So is the related rates of depression. If these famous people as examples can help with self esteem, that is a good thing.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2021, 9:25 pm

carlos55 wrote:

So rich people aren't allowed to have ASD?

A lot of people suspect people like Bill Gates and Mark Zuckerberg to be on the spectrum.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2021, 9:49 pm

SabbraCadabra wrote:
carlos55 wrote:

A lot of people suspect people like Bill Gates and Mark Zuckerberg to be on the spectrum.

Gatekeeping ASD from rich people seems misguided. Of course any of those people could have it and if they've been formally diagnosed none of us should question it.

Musk is just like any of the other terrible people who just so happen to share the diagnosis.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2021, 10:11 pm

No way is Bill Gates or Mark Zuckerberg autistic. Musk says he is so I suppose we have to believe him. He's one crazy-ass dude one way or the other.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2021, 10:14 pm

Curious if Elon Musk hires autistic people?

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2021, 3:12 am

SabbraCadabra wrote:
carlos55 wrote:

It’s not that they are rich it’s they have nothing wrong with them.

Evidenced by the jobs they do, social ability, their behavior and lives they lead

Coincidentally Christine Mcguiness was on tv last night on some sort of dance show talking and making jokes to a large group of people.

Seems like no communication or social difficulties for her either.

Something nearly all autistics I’ve ever known inc myself would find impossible.

Since know one has properly isolated autism(s) there is no evidence at all that what these super high functioning invisible so called “autistics” claim they suffer from has anything in common with with what the people on this site have been diagnosed and disabled with.

- George Bernie Shaw

theprisoner
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2021, 3:22 am

MaxE wrote:
No way is Bill Gates or Mark Zuckerberg autistic. Musk says he is so I suppose we have to believe him. He's one crazy-ass dude one way or the other.

They both appear like high functioning aspies to me. Bill gates, i know a bit about him, he definitely has underlying traits. Zuckerberg i don't know much about, other than he can be kinda awkward socially.

AQ: 27 Diagnosis:High functioning (just on the cusp of normal.) IQ:131 (somewhat inflated result but ego-flattering) DNA:XY Location: UK. Eyes: Blue. Hair: Brown. Height:6'1 Celebrity I most resemble: Tom hardy. Favorite Band: The Doors. Personality: uhhm ....(what can i say...we asd people are strange)

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2021, 11:32 am

theprisoner wrote:
MaxE wrote:

They both appear like high functioning aspies to me. Bill gates, i know a bit about him, he definitely has underlying traits. Zuckerberg i don't know much about, other than he can be kinda awkward socially.

Microsoft was not built by just Bill Gates. It was Gates and Steve Balmer. They completed each other. It was Balmer who sold Gates’s ideas. So maybe. As for Christine McGinness scripting is a known autistic trait that is useful for entertainers. Also more “wierdness” is expected and tolerated and celebrated then from the average person. There is a reason Hollywood is sometimes referred to as Hollyweird.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2021, 12:44 pm

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

theprisoner
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2021, 12:58 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Microsoft was not built by just Bill Gates. It was Gates and Steve Balmer. They completed each other. It was Balmer who sold Gates’s ideas. So maybe. .

From what i remember, He wrote code, stayed up late drinking coca cola, was a typical computer programmer nerd in the 70's. So yes, he was surrounding by a lot of other skilled 'aspie' people. But he has the traits underlying his own personality. Mixed in with some megalomania, from the runaway success he had.

AQ: 27 Diagnosis:High functioning (just on the cusp of normal.) IQ:131 (somewhat inflated result but ego-flattering) DNA:XY Location: UK. Eyes: Blue. Hair: Brown. Height:6'1 Celebrity I most resemble: Tom hardy. Favorite Band: The Doors. Personality: uhhm ....(what can i say...we asd people are strange)