Of course! Never any doubt! 59%  59%  [ 27 ]
No I didn't - what a shock. 30%  30%  [ 14 ]
Who is Elon Musk? 11%  11%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 46

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2021, 11:12 pm

TMZ makes like this is breaking news: https://www.tmz.com/2021/05/08/elon-musk-aspergers-syndrome-snl-host/

Personally, most of us find this to be old news.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2021, 2:36 am

Since his "coming out" was on SNL, I do not know if it should be taken seriously.

But as said this has been a topic of speculation for a long time.

In light of this what about his claim that his AI chips can solve autism?

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2021, 3:32 am

It was news to me. I try to pay as little attention to rich fools as possible. Living atop Everest would be a lot easier and cheaper than on Mars.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2021, 3:35 am

It's a bummer that this is simultaneously something to brag about & something we're conditioned to be ashamed of. I need some sleep.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

FrankStein
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

09 May 2021, 3:44 am

I think this is major. He talks about it and the personality issues he has. When has that ever been on something watched by millions as SNL is? Here's the YouTube: https://youtu.be/fCF8I_X1qKI

MrsPeel
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2021, 7:19 am

Well, huh, I got that wrong then.
I thought he was just a rich jerk.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

09 May 2021, 7:33 am

MrsPeel wrote:
Well, huh, I got that wrong then.
I thought he was just a rich jerk.
Apparently, he's a rich jerk with Asperger's. And actual talent for engineering. The only unexpected part of this is "rich" :P

But, aside from being a rich jerk, his rocket research is really something. Not just those far-away Mars colony plans - with SpaceX rockets, sending satellites and probes to different parts of the Solar system becomes affordable for much smaller institutions than it used to be - and this means a lot of new knowledge to gain :)

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2021, 8:06 am

FrankStein wrote:
I think this is major. He talks about it and the personality issues he has. When has that ever been on something watched by millions as SNL is? Here's the YouTube: https://youtu.be/fCF8I_X1qKI

Agree.

bottleblank
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

09 May 2021, 9:15 am

I have mixed views on stories like this.

On the one hand, I know people use examples of famous autistic people to give hope to children, pointing out that it can't be all bad if some of the most rich and famous people in the world have had it. If they made it, maybe even leveraging their traits to get there, so can you!

Except, on the other hand, that's not how this works. It's true that you can still succeed even if you're autistic, but even neurotypical success often requires big heaping piles of both luck and beneficial upbringing with financial and networking opportunities. So it's as much of a misleading thing to say "all these autistic people got rich/famous/powerful" as it is to say "anybody can be the US president". Yes, technically that's true, but for all the likelihood it's going to be you, you might as well just go and try to win the lottery instead.

Ultimately I suppose that means my thoughts on the matter are that "eh, ok? I don't care, but good for you, man who has more wealth and control than I could even begin to dream of without being sent away for delusional thinking". In theory, somebody autistic with media reach can discuss the difficulties being autistic can present, which should in theory increase awareness, but I'm sceptical of the level of difference that actually makes in the real world. At the end of the day he's still going to be that quirky rich a***hole who people see as an eccentric inventor. We've had those all along, nothing changed for us, the lucky got successful, the rest of us continue to be plain old weirdos.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2021, 9:40 am

What ever happened to Elon Musk's very high speed underground train in the L.A. area? Not living in California, I don't hear much about that. It seemed a little sketchy to me, though. Like, I wouldn't want to be in the first few riders!

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

09 May 2021, 9:44 am

BeaArthur wrote:
What ever happened to Elon Musk's very high speed underground train in the L.A. area? Not living in California, I don't hear much about that. It seemed a little sketchy to me, though. Like, I wouldn't want to be in the first few riders!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Boring_Company
Not yet approved by city councils in most locations; some test tunnels exist but nothing operational so far - oh, wait, something has been recently opened in Las Vegas.
Quote:
The tunnel was unveiled in mid-April 2021 with regular Model 3 and Model X Tesla cars used for shuttling running at about 35 mph.[68] The service was described as "embarrassing"[69] and "lame",[70] as comparisons were made to earlier promises of "electric autonomous vehicles with alignment wheels".[71]
No big success so far - though, with Musk's philosophy of design it does not exclude being operational some day.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2021, 9:49 am

bottleblank wrote:
I have mixed views on stories like this.

On the one hand, I know people use examples of famous autistic people to give hope to children, pointing out that it can't be all bad if some of the most rich and famous people in the world have had it. If they made it, maybe even leveraging their traits to get there, so can you!

Except, on the other hand, that's not how this works. It's true that you can still succeed even if you're autistic, but even neurotypical success often requires big heaping piles of both luck and beneficial upbringing with financial and networking opportunities. So it's as much of a misleading thing to say "all these autistic people got rich/famous/powerful" as it is to say "anybody can be the US president". Yes, technically that's true, but for all the likelihood it's going to be you, you might as well just go and try to win the lottery instead.

Ultimately I suppose that means my thoughts on the matter are that "eh, ok? I don't care, but good for you, man who has more wealth and control than I could even begin to dream of without being sent away for delusional thinking". In theory, somebody autistic with media reach can discuss the difficulties being autistic can present, which should in theory increase awareness, but I'm sceptical of the level of difference that actually makes in the real world. At the end of the day he's still going to be that quirky rich a***hole who people see as an eccentric inventor. We've had those all along, nothing changed for us, the lucky got successful, the rest of us continue to be plain old weirdos.

Famous autistics can lesson the stigmas and negative assumptions NT’s have about autistic people which does make it less difficult for autistics to be successful because the vast majority of the world is NT. Famous autistics may give hope to some autistics who feel they are destined to lifelong failure or a least wonder about that. That can be a double edged sword as the autistic might think successful autistics vs thier failure is further proof of their weak and bad character.

It is not likely you are remotely like Musk, Gates, or Einstein. If you feel that way get rid that toxic arrogance or aspie supremacy. Using them to prove to yourself that autism is not a sentence for lifelong failure is the way to go, anything more is probably unrealistic and unnecessary.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2021, 9:51 am

Thanks, Magz. 35 mph? Wow, so impressive. LOL

edited to add: Only an autistic would name a new initiative "The Boring Company" and be oblivious to the negative connotations.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2021, 10:23 am

"SNL viewers point out that Elon Musk isn’t the first known celebrity with Asperger’s syndrome to host"

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

09 May 2021, 10:38 am

Double Retired wrote:
Lovely "you're incorrect" remark, how typical to... a tendency to meticulously collect information on some topic and pay attention to details and little inconsistencies... how do they call it? :mrgreen:
There are many more of us out there :D

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2021, 10:58 am

Double Retired wrote:

Actually I found Elon Musk's self-attribution as "the first" a bit debatable, but he did qualify that he was the first to admit it. (on the show itself)