Who is Elon Musk? 11%  11%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 46

tt1464
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 May 2021, 11:09 am

BeaArthur wrote:
Thanks, Magz. 35 mph? Wow, so impressive. LOL

edited to add: Only an autistic would name a new initiative "The Boring Company" and be oblivious to the negative connotations.

I'm sure it was intentional - it's the joke! I love it!

Jiheisho
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2021, 11:17 am

I love when rich jerks make us the butt of the joke.

Musk just shows how important resources are to be successful. He really has not done anything someone else has thought of before. He just has the money to throw at it and the talented employees to achieve it.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2021, 11:46 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
bottleblank wrote:
I have mixed views on stories like this.

On the one hand, I know people use examples of famous autistic people to give hope to children, pointing out that it can't be all bad if some of the most rich and famous people in the world have had it. If they made it, maybe even leveraging their traits to get there, so can you!

Except, on the other hand, that's not how this works. It's true that you can still succeed even if you're autistic, but even neurotypical success often requires big heaping piles of both luck and beneficial upbringing with financial and networking opportunities. So it's as much of a misleading thing to say "all these autistic people got rich/famous/powerful" as it is to say "anybody can be the US president". Yes, technically that's true, but for all the likelihood it's going to be you, you might as well just go and try to win the lottery instead.

Ultimately I suppose that means my thoughts on the matter are that "eh, ok? I don't care, but good for you, man who has more wealth and control than I could even begin to dream of without being sent away for delusional thinking". In theory, somebody autistic with media reach can discuss the difficulties being autistic can present, which should in theory increase awareness, but I'm sceptical of the level of difference that actually makes in the real world. At the end of the day he's still going to be that quirky rich a***hole who people see as an eccentric inventor. We've had those all along, nothing changed for us, the lucky got successful, the rest of us continue to be plain old weirdos.

Famous autistics can lesson the stigmas and negative assumptions NT’s have about autistic people which does make it less difficult for autistics to be successful because the vast majority of the world is NT. Famous autistics may give hope to some autistics who feel they are destined to lifelong failure or a least wonder about that. That can be a double edged sword as the autistic might think successful autistics vs thier failure is further proof of their weak and bad character.

It is not likely you are remotely like Musk, Gates, or Einstein. If you feel that way get rid that toxic arrogance or aspie supremacy. Using them to prove to yourself that autism is not a sentence for lifelong failure is the way to go, anything more is probably unrealistic and unnecessary.

None of the 'Above Mentioned' Ended Up

Happy And Successful Where it Really

Counts In Human Relationships; No

Thanks, Not Settling for a Musk,
Gates, Or Einstein Personal Life of Asperger's...

Decided

to

Achieve More...

Went Out and Just Did It...

Have A Nice Day; It ALL Depends

On What We Value In Life NoW...

i Was 'Perfectly' Happy Playing With

My Train Set Back in the 60's; Still Have

It And i Don't Give A Damn How Much Money It's Worth...

It's A Frigging

Collectible

And A Frigging

Antique That Still

Works As Good And

Better Than Ever Like Me at Close to 61...

What Did They Say About the Little Choo Choo Who Still Choo Choo's

And Never Runs Out of Steam; It's All About Balance on the 'Rails Of Life'...

True And on Top of That i Used to Be A Broken Train Set And Fixed Myself Complete

Enough Whole

No Different

Than Humpty

Dumpty Without

All 'The Other Help'...

Celebrate What We Can

And Will Do; Make It Enough

Whatever It is Complete Now If We Can And Will...

Of Course i'm TalKinG to Myself Complete Autistically Enough

As Such; Don't Need Anyone's Affirmation to Fly On Land With Toes Touching The Ground in

Balance

With

My Best

FRiEnD Gravity

The Cure to All My
iLLS; Just Becoming FRiEnDS with Balance...

Choo Choo

Choo Choo Hehe
It's Fun That's All i Need to Play...

People Make Life Way More Complicated

Than It Needs to Be; Bet You i Could Become

Famous And Called Legend too Within a Year

If i Just Went out in Public And Danced Free Wait!

i already Did it! And 7 Times Over; Why? it's Just Fun Whether Anyone Else Wants to Join in or not...

i Also Wrote the Longest EPiC Long Form Poem 5 Times Over too; That Was Fun too whether anyone

wants

to read

it or not,

i do it cause it's

Fun Playing That's All i need to know to do it...

-the Little 3 Year

Old Non-Verbal

Autistic

Boy

Off in the

Corner All Alone

Playing With A Big

Grin On His Face That

Folks Call the R Word

As There is no Reason for His Happiness others see...

Hey Baby; It's All About the Play; Either We Find It Keep

This Flow or We Don't Stay on Top of the Wave...

Again i'm

Only TaLKinG

to My Own Best Autistic Self...

Ahem, Not Seeing Any Curse Here on my End...

Yet It's True, When i Got Lost, It Was Hell Until i Fixed my Train Set Again...

One of the Biggest Problems In Life is Not Giving Our Self Permission to Be

Our Self When Others

Take It Away...

LeSSoN STiLL

Learned FoR Me

And At Least

A Few others

Thrilled Along

With Me on the 'Train Ride Home'...

Choo Choo; Choo Choo; It Is What it is

For Me At Least, i "BeCoME A Wittiest Fool", Tarot Card Zero Baby...

With Numerology Challenges 2, 3, And 4, Number 1 FOR REAL AS

FULLY Documented, Just Affirming What i Do

Do;

Just

Another

Horatio

And Ripley

Believes It Story That's Real...

Other Than That The Epigenetic

Potential of Human is Particularly Incredible in my Case at least...

Again, Fully Documented With Irrefutable Evidence As Such That's Real...

i Really

Can't See

Why Other

Folks Won't

Do More Than me

If They Tune Their

Train Set Like A Ferrari 12-Cylinder Full Bore too...

Yet You See, And i Still See, It's only My View Now,

Still ReMeMBeR Moped Broken Down Days too That are Every Bit As Real...

HAha, Even As Fully Documented On this Site, without Even Intending to
Do It, Just Keeping My Mind off the Suicide Disease And 18 Other Life Threatening
Disorders for 33 Out of Doing that 66 Months Here on this Website, Making the

'Autism Speaks Controversy' A Totally Boring Interest Again Just to keep my mind

Off of Ending it all, Shut-in, in my Home in my Underwear, Folks here Literally

Were Convinced That i was A Paid Employee of the Autism Speaks Organization;

Hey, i did that

Dying Alive;

It's All A Matter

Of WHere We've Been And Only Where We Are Now...

Sticking With Labels; Believing in Limitations; Is not my Personal Style...

Works

FoR Me

As The Record

Details to the Big Picture Extreme...

Anyway, When In Hell, We Do What It takes
to Escape, And When We Do Amazing Things NaturAlly CoMe Next...

Epigenetic

In Effect,

What i Eat

For All my Meals Every Day Now.

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

WonderWoman
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 May 2021, 11:50 am

I felt really proud!

FrankStein wrote:
I think this is major. He talks about it and the personality issues he has. When has that ever been on something watched by millions as SNL is? Here's the YouTube: https://youtu.be/fCF8I_X1qKI

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2021, 12:14 pm

Jiheisho wrote:

Musk just shows how important resources are to be successful. He really has not done anything someone else has thought of before. He just has the money to throw at it and the talented employees to achieve it.

Neither money nor talented staff are easy to retain. There is a long list of men who have gone broke trying to start a car company.

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2021, 12:21 pm

Another fake celeb who wants jump on the autism label as an excuse for being a jerk.

Who`s going to help people with real difficulties when they think we must all be really faking it because we too can be a married billionare that runs one of the worlds largest companies.

I can see government cuts in autistic services coming up

- George Bernie Shaw

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2021, 12:30 pm

magz wrote:
But, aside from being a rich jerk, his rocket research is really something. Not just those far-away Mars colony plans - with SpaceX rockets, sending satellites and probes to different parts of the Solar system becomes affordable for much smaller institutions than it used to be - and this means a lot of new knowledge to gain :)

A first stage rocket starts off at zero efficiency, and never gets to 10%. Rockets are absolutely ridiculous if operated at low speed, surrounded by air and available oxygen. Another outfit built a giant 6-engine aircraft to lift the second stage, but even that is considered small.
We know that it is trivial to connect aircraft for refuelling, so what I'd do is buy a fleet of obsolete 747s, and rig them up with elevator cables into a vertical stack. Then, huge loads could be snatched from a very fast truck making a timed pass down the runway.

Jiheisho
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2021, 12:31 pm

Dear_one wrote:
Jiheisho wrote:

Neither money nor talented staff are easy to retain. There is a long list of men who have gone broke trying to start a car company.

Actually, it is much harder for a wealthy person to become poor than a poor person to become rich. Social mobility can be rather stable if you have resources. Also, bankruptcy laws protect the wealthy very well. Trump would be a very high-profile example of a wealthy person that failed in business but retained his wealth.

As far from running a car company, Musk's performance in the business has simply been because he had the resources to keep it afloat, rather than developing a successful business model that supports the company. It is far from certain that Tesla will not go bankrupt. And his disregard for the safety of his employees has not prevented him in retaining talent. But still, Musk will not lose his shirt if Tesla does go bankrupt.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2021, 12:41 pm

Jiheisho wrote:
Dear_one wrote:
Jiheisho wrote:

Actually, it is much harder for a wealthy person to become poor than a poor person to become rich. Social mobility can be rather stable if you have resources. Also, bankruptcy laws protect the wealthy very well. Trump would be a very high-profile example of a wealthy person that failed in business but retained his wealth.

As far from running a car company, Musk's performance in the business has simply been because he had the resources to keep it afloat, rather than developing a successful business model that supports the company. It is far from certain that Tesla will not go bankrupt. And his disregard for the safety of his employees has not prevented him in retaining talent. But still, Musk will not lose his shirt if Tesla does go bankrupt.

Agreed about the economic mobility, but I think that there are vast fortunes out of the public gaze, and some huge debts dressed up as wealth. Pardon my ignorance, but I thought that Musk got started in medical appliances, and leveraged everything from there.

RoadRatt
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2021, 1:04 pm

It is a shame that he is one of us. He is such an evil bugger.

Jiheisho
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2021, 2:14 pm

Dear_one wrote:
Jiheisho wrote:
Dear_one wrote:
Jiheisho wrote:

Agreed about the economic mobility, but I think that there are vast fortunes out of the public gaze, and some huge debts dressed up as wealth. Pardon my ignorance, but I thought that Musk got started in medical appliances, and leveraged everything from there.

Well, his family is wealthy, but I think the source of his wealth came from starting the founding company that became PayPal, which was sold for $1.5B.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2021, 4:25 pm

magz wrote:
MrsPeel wrote:
Well, huh, I got that wrong then.
I thought he was just a rich jerk.
Apparently, he's a rich jerk with Asperger's. And actual talent for engineering. The only unexpected part of this is "rich" :P

But, aside from being a rich jerk, his rocket research is really something. Not just those far-away Mars colony plans - with SpaceX rockets, sending satellites and probes to different parts of the Solar system becomes affordable for much smaller institutions than it used to be - and this means a lot of new knowledge to gain :)

Engineering talent?! More like lots of cash. His cars cheat EPA paint regulations, regularly kill their owners with no one driving as a result of false advertising & his satellite ISP is severely limited.

PayPal wasn't an engineering project save for some code. As a self-taught engineer on the spectrum this is pretty insulting.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2021, 5:31 pm

BeaArthur wrote:
Double Retired wrote:

Actually I found Elon Musk's self-attribution as "the first" a bit debatable, but he did qualify that he was the first to admit it. (on the show itself)

Dan Ackroyd's "Aspergers" is debatable for reasons I laid out in that linked thread 6 years ago. Yet now in practically every mainstream and alternative media I read are correcting Musk because Ackroyd "did it first", just accepting Ackroyd's autism as fact and accepting Musk's "coming out" on a scripted comedy show as fact.

carlos55 wrote:
Another fake celeb who wants jump on the autism label as an excuse for being a jerk.

I would not go that far. Maybe Musk did that to deflect from the recent negative publicity if that is so it is despicable. Musk's autism traits have been discussed for years. If one is against "diagnosing" celebrities based on scant evidence one should be against "undiagnosing" celebs based on scant evidence. Maybe Musk an unconventional person due to his Aspergers came out in an unconventional way. Maybe Ackroyd is an Aspie but felt he had to walk it back. I don't know. Let's wait and see if there is any follow-up from Musk.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Last edited by ASPartOfMe on 09 May 2021, 7:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2021, 5:45 pm

IMO this shouldn't even be considered news, that a PR junkie lays claim to a label pop culture associates with cleverness & "engineering skill"...

To me it's very telling that this is even a blip on anyone's radar. People exaggerate differences & give them labels as a means of aggrandizing their own self-image. We should just accept the fact that anyone might be on the spectrum & get on with it.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2021, 5:46 pm

My brain is not to be paraded on SNL for entertainment value; that was his choice but I'm not going to pretend it won't affect me.

Dignity is not the same thing as fame.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2021, 5:51 pm

I'm so (not) surprised! :o :lol:

I honestly don't like Elon that much. He may be an Aspie, but he's still just another sh***y rich dude who doesn't treat his workers well. It being "confirmed" that he has Asperger's actually makes me more irritated about some of the ways his workers have been treated and it makes me like him less.