Asking my psychiatrist to change my diagnosis of ASD.

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2021, 10:37 am

I could ask my psychiatrist to change my diagnosis From Autism Spectrum Disorder to Unspecified Neurodevelopmental Disorder. Because I don't have full criteria for communication delays anymore.

I used to have severe communication delays from my early childhood, but I improved a lot and some of my communication delays remitted overtime with support and therapy.

I can conclude that I have Unspecified Neurodevelopmental Disorder. But I am just speculating. I want to talk to my therapist and my psychiatrist about the behavior changes in Autism Spectrum Disorder as an adult.

I do have milder communication impairment, but my communication skills are much better than those with Asperger Syndrome.

I think changing my diagnosis of Autism to Unspecified Neurodevelopmental Disorder makes more sense, because I no longer show all traits of Autism Spectrum Disorder.

I do have some ASD-like traits, but they are no longer as severe as it used to be. I however still need to improve my communication skills. It's part of my IEP goal. Also I should get a diagnosis of Specific Learning Disorder, because I have trouble doing basic math and have some Dyslexic tendencies.

My diagnosis should be Unspecified Neurodevelopmental Disorder and Specific Learning Disorder.

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2021, 10:39 am

In history I had a diagnosis of PDD-NOS before 2013, but now my modern diagnosis is Autism Spectrum Disorder, but I feel like I no longer meet the criteria anymore, but I do have some form of ASD-like developmental disorder.

Jiheisho
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2021, 10:39 am

I had no communication delays and was diagnosed with ASD. Communication delays are not defining the the ASD diagnosis.

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2021, 10:52 am

Makes sense.

In fact, I never felt like I met the full criteria for Autism Spectrum Disorder, but at the same time, I am confused. Because I do have milder forms of communication impairments and broad restricted interests and only some repetitive behaviors.

But communication delays are a core feature of Autism Spectrum Disorder.

Jiheisho
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2021, 11:38 am

FranzOren wrote:
Makes sense.

In fact, I never felt like I met the full criteria for Autism Spectrum Disorder, but at the same time, I am confused. Because I do have milder forms of communication impairments and broad restricted interests and only some repetitive behaviors.

But communication delays are a core feature of Autism Spectrum Disorder.

The DMS does not state that communications delays are definitive. I was diagnosed with ASD and did not have a communication delay.

I have a "milder" form of ASD, but I am autistic. The diagnosis does not bother (but I got this when I was 56). What I am more focused on is learning from that diagnosis and using that to function better. I will always be autistic, but that does not mean I am fixed to a particular behavior. I can work on finding a solution.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2021, 11:45 am

FranzOren wrote:
I no longer show all traits of Autism Spectrum Disorder.

Does anyone ever show all traits of ASD?

(something about that brings to mind when Air Force created a standard for cockpit design based on the physical proportions of the average human & and once they built it quickly discovered that there are no average humans)

Jiheisho
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2021, 12:02 pm

kitesandtrainsandcats wrote:
FranzOren wrote:
I no longer show all traits of Autism Spectrum Disorder.

Does anyone ever show all traits of ASD?

DSM-5 states you need to meet five out of seven: all of the first three criteria and two of the second four criteria. Then you need to meet the severity criteria to get a diagnosis. I would imagine it is possible to meet all criteria, but that does not make you more autistic.

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2021, 12:15 pm

Makes sense.