Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

violetdr3amer
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

10 May 2021, 1:12 pm

Does anyone else have a strong dislike for exercise? I read somewhere that it's not uncommon with autistic folks.

I seem to really hate exercise, despite the fact that I know that it is good for me. I used to do yoga in my room, but it's almost impossible to motivate myself to do it. Whenever I join the gym, it usually lasts a couple of months before I get bored. I just find repetitive exercise so mind-meltingly tedious! The only types of exercise I enjoy are more intense/cerebral ones, that I can do in classes or with other people, such as bouldering, pole dancing and aerial trapeze - which is expensive and impossible at the moment due to Covid.

Does anyone else have this problem?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2021, 7:54 pm

I don't mind walking and running in the park.

I don't like walking and running on a treadmill.

I have to exercise in order to be only slightly overweight, instead of obese.

violetdr3amer

11 May 2021, 8:58 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I don't mind walking and running in the park.

I don't like walking and running on a treadmill.

I have to exercise in order to be only slightly overweight, instead of obese.

Walking is ok! Do you like hiking? I enjoy walks with friends and going on adventures.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2021, 10:01 am

Yep. I like hiking. And it's excellent exercise!

You get to see beautiful scenery frequently when you hike.

badRobot
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2021, 12:03 pm

All people have this problem until their routine is consistent enough for brain reward system to connect the dots between exercise and feeling good later. Some of the most beneficial exercises are hard and unpleasant in process and don't provide immediate gratification.

Our reward system is very stupid. If you feel great as a direct result of your workout couple hours before, really enjoy a movie or a meal, our reward system wrongly connects feeling good with that activity instead of your hard workout.

Some people exploit it, by making explicit reward, like watching one episode of a favorite show only after workout. For some people postponing fun activities until you feel your mood improve works better.

If you want to develop anticipation and motivation to workout, be mindful, anticipate good mood and make a mental note every time you feel great some time after workout.

violetdr3amer

11 May 2021, 1:19 pm

badRobot wrote:
All people have this problem until their routine is consistent enough for brain reward system to connect the dots between exercise and feeling good later. Some of the most beneficial exercises are hard and unpleasant in process and don't provide immediate gratification.

Our reward system is very stupid. If you feel great as a direct result of your workout couple hours before, really enjoy a movie or a meal, our reward system wrongly connects feeling good with that activity instead of your hard workout.

Some people exploit it, by making explicit reward, like watching one episode of a favorite show only after workout. For some people postponing fun activities until you feel your mood improve works better.

If you want to develop anticipation and motivation to workout, be mindful, anticipate good mood and make a mental note every time you feel great some time after workout.

Ah that's a good idea, cheers! I definitely have an issue with wanting instant gratification. I'm impatient, I have ADHD and I'm an ex-addict.

Fixxer
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2021, 11:50 am

Exercise requries both motivation and energy. If any of these 2 is a bit lacking in the moment, then it can lead to not wanting to exercise. There are a lot of efforts in the daily movements that we do, plus all the mental processing that goes on, sensory and emotional processing.

badRobot
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2021, 9:19 am

Fixxer wrote:
Exercise requries both motivation and energy. If any of these 2 is a bit lacking in the moment, then it can lead to not wanting to exercise. There are a lot of efforts in the daily movements that we do, plus all the mental processing that goes on, sensory and emotional processing.

Exercise is what gives us both motivation and energy. If you are mindful about this connection, your resistance goes away almost completely.