Why I love working at a gas station.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Hypnotized
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 May 2021, 3:44 pm

So, applying for a job at a small gas station is something I was extremely nervous about. I don't drive and barely know anything about cars, but since I did have experience working in a store, I decided to apply anyway.

I got the job even though someone with more experience applied. My boss told me 'I want to give you a chance, and someone like that will get hired quickly anyway'. The first few weeks were tough, because there's a lot of small tasks you have to do, and it takes time to learn all of them.

But here's why I love it so much: after the 2-ish weeks of training, I got to work alone. You don't have to talk to annoying ass coworkers who you would never give the tiniest bit of attention if it wasn't for the job. This gas station has a total of 4 employees. 5 people if you count our boss. They're all really nice and kind people who communicate well. My boss has also been really nice and understanding when it comes to the fact I took a little bit longer to understand every little task that comes with the job. He's a really kind boss. I've been here for 3 months now, and already he's given us a €50 gift card, and last week he gave us a nice bag with little treats to thank us for our hard work. He also took over my shift last week since I was dying with tooth ache. Such small gestures make me really appreciate him.

But yeah, a job where I can work alone is probably my favourite thing in the world, despite having to talk to customers. We're open till 11pm, but it's 10:40 right now and I haven't seen anyone in a bit. It's nice to have such quiet and calm endings to your shift. It actually pays really well too, apparently I earn more than my mother does. I get €11,53 / hour and last month I got just over €1000 (about $1200) for working 24 hrs / week.

I'd say the only downside is that we don't get breaks, since we work alone. But when there's no customers and you've done everything you can goof off all you want. Let's just say I won't be going anytime soon if I don't have to.

Last edited by Hypnotized on 10 May 2021, 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dry Dry Sea
Raven
Raven

10 May 2021, 3:51 pm

Thank You ... Gas stations here can be silent too but rarely. Do you live inside a City, or Outside?

Hypnotized
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 May 2021, 4:33 pm

Dry Dry Sea wrote:
Thank You ... Gas stations here can be silent too but rarely. Do you live inside a City, or Outside?

I live in a city somewhat near city center too, but we're pretty expensive. So expensive actually, some people just drive to Belgium for gas, drive back and it'll still be cheaper than gas here. So like, 99% of the customers here are locals.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2021, 5:00 pm

Congratulations on getting that job!

I wouldn't have minded that job, either.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2021, 6:15 pm

Sounds like you have a good thing happening, enjoy! :D