Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2021, 12:20 am

Quote:
Greta Thunberg and China bump heads over emissions
11/05/2021|4min

Greta Thunberg has made an enemy out of China which says she is uneducated and prone to being “manipulated” after the activist said climate change can’t be solved unless Beijing makes a drastic course correction on emissions.

“Thunberg, who at age 15 started skipping school on Fridays for her climate protests, is merely 18 years old this year,” Chinese propaganda mouthpiece the Global Times said.

“She is short of sufficient academic knowledge study, and lack of sound self-judgment capability.

“Girl like her is prone to be affected or even manipulated by some political forces.”

Ms Thunberg’s tweet which argued China has “no excuse” for its titanic emissions levels “ruining future and present living conditions” even if it is still classed as a “developing nation” served as the trigger for Beijing’s ire.

“Yes, China is still categorised as a developing nation by WTO, they manufacture a lot of our products and so on,” she said in the tweet.

“But that's of course no excuse for ruining future and present living conditions.

“We can't solve the climate crisis unless China drastically changes course.”

Her tweet came after a new report from the Rhodium Group found China’s annual emissions in 2019 eclipsed all developing countries combined – for the first time since measuring began.

https://www.skynews.com.au/details/_625 ... 0emissions

About bloody time.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2021, 2:21 am

The probability of the Chinese reducing their emissions in response to agitation of a teenage girl from a privileged country is about as likely as my bacon sprouting wings and flying.

Having said that I support Greta! She is brave and fearless :D

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2021, 2:33 am

I don't take much for this young lady as she comes across as being full of hate and does not demonstrate love to the ones she talks to. Without love there will never be chane because all those at the recieving end will just not want to know (And neither would I if I was spoken to in the same way).

If she wants to make progress she needs to change the way she presents herself to others, as all I could think of when I heard her speak was "There's a spoilt child who needs her bottom smacked!"

If she can learn to love and understand those who she wants to change, then she will be effective in making a difference to the world, as love changes everything and understanding provides practical solutions.

To understand people here in Wales, one needs to talk to them respectfully and in ways that attract rather then repel. The way she speaks she repels, and it is one of the differences between the English people and the Welsh, and why some types of English people get no where here, because they have not learned how the Welsh people react.

Now I know other countries will be repelled rather then attracted by what she says because of the manner in which she uses when she publically speaks. Some countries and people she will find a great following. Germany is one and England is one as they are attracted to the determined carisma, but other countries like Wales it is the complete opposite. I say this because I am Welsh, but my Mum origionally came from England as a young child, so I have had to learn how different people with different backgrounds react. It is something that I have an understanding of which those from fully Welsh backgrounds and those from fully English backgrounds don't have.

Last edited by Mountain Goat on 11 May 2021, 3:25 am, edited 4 times in total.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2021, 3:12 am

She's still very very young. Remember she was a young teen when she took on world leaders.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2021, 4:54 am

I realize that she is young. Uhmm. How can I explain...

What I am saying is that to convince the Chinese government to change, Gretna may do more damage then good by the way she comes across if they take it the wrong way.

Climate change is a delicate subject as it involves loosing millions of jobs to make the change. Here where I live many many people can no longer support themselves financially since the climate change regulations came into play because their whole lives of their towns and villages were supported by the industries which were closed.

aquafelix
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2021, 5:10 am

I give Greta 10/10 points for single mined passion and conviction to her cause. But her delivery and PR skills may improve as she gets older and has more life experience

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2021, 6:02 am

Mountain Goat wrote:
What I am saying is that to convince the Chinese government to change, Gretna may do more damage then good by the way she comes across if they take it the wrong way.

Yes this is true.

Soliloquist
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 May 2021, 7:58 am

Quote:
China’s Horrifying True Impact on Climate Change Exposed

We hear a lot about climate change in the liberal media, from leftist politicians and from celebrities and famous people.

Climate change is the end of the world. We’re all going to die. Nothing can save us except eating soy and driving electric cars.

Or something.

The thing is you don’t hear this in Asia, in Africa or in South America.

You hear it in Western Europe and North America from privileged liberals trying to guilt and shame people around them into stopping eating meat or having kids.

What you rarely hear about is just how much climate change is a problem in places like India, China, Africa and more.

But a new report is exposing just how much China is flooding the world with greenhouse gas emissions. Will the environmentalists finally wake up or has climate change just been an excuse to blame America for one more thing all along?

China Pumped Out 27% of World Greenhouse Gas Emissions in 2020

The new statistics show that China cranked out more than 27% of the world’s greenhouse gas in 2020, way, way ahead of the United States which only contributed 11%.

India, meanwhile, came at 6.6%, which is still a massive number considering their backwards country is only partly industrialized and is getting worse pollution by the month as they begin ramping up industrial production.

China’s already been surging ahead of the global pollution disaster for years, having more emissions than all other developed nations combined by 2019. Now we’re seeing the 2020 numbers and they’re horrifying.

Something needs to be done about China. Perhaps environmentalists will start protesting outside Chinese embassies in the US, Canada and Europe? Or what about boycotting Chinese products? Holding China responsible for COVID, or the Uyghur Genocide. Anyone?

Here are the facts:

The four worst greenhouse gas emitters in 2020 are China at 27%, the US at 11%, India at 6.6% and the EU at 6.4%. China is flooding our atmosphere with more harmful emissions than the US and EU put together, but you rarely hear about them from leftist wingnuts, except to praise Mao or make excuses.

But there are no excuses.

Thankfully some people are coming around, including UN poster child Greta Thunberg. She’s been heavily criticized by conservatives before and her parents have been as well for using her as a political prop.

Still, Thunberg deserves credit here for calling out the creepy actions of China, even if she does make some excuse for them by mentioning that they’re a “developing nation.”

Greta Thunberg wrote:
@GretaThunberg

Yes, China is still categorized as a developing nation by WTO, they manufacture a lot of our products and so on.
But that's of course no excuse for ruining future and present living conditions. We can't solve the climate crisis unless China drastically changes course.
CNN wrote:
@CNN

China's annual emissions exceeded those of all developed nations combined in 2019, the first time this has happened since national greenhouse gas emissions have been measured, according to a new report. https://cnn.it/3baiVDI

Punishing Ourselves for China’s Crimes

There’s a pattern I’m noticing across the board the last few years. Here in America our elites are trying to get us to punish ourselves for China’s crimes.

COVID from China? Better mask up and stay inside and stop seeing your loved ones for years.

Pollution from China? Better stop eating meat and having kids and driving.

Why are we being blamed and held responsible for the crimes of China? It’s their damn fault, not ours.

As President Trump said, why should we tie one hand behind our backs and cripple our economy just to allow places like China to surge ahead and dominate us? China and India have billions of people who want cheap energy and as they rise out of poverty these countries are going to flood the world with even more awful pollution.

No Paris Accord or nice UN bowtie agreement is going to hold China or India in. If we can help develop sustainable energy that they could use instead, we can own the future. But at this point the leftist hysteria over climate change is just a way to weaken America.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2021, 10:47 am

I worry how this little lady will do a few years from now, when her teenage passion dries up and she is faced with the limitations of her crusade. I wish her the best, though.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2021, 8:49 pm

BeaArthur wrote:
I worry how this little lady will do a few years from now, when her teenage passion dries up and she is faced with the limitations of her crusade. I wish her the best, though.

I often hear the best outcome for an advocate is to be put out of work.

Redd_Kross
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2021, 9:02 pm

She's right, and many developing nations (particularly China and India) need to drastically improve. The Western powers also need to take more responsibility - we typically present a righteous image to the world by getting poorer nations to do all our dirty work for us, and it isn't fooling anyone any more.

Having said that, by Christ she's annoying.

Also, Russia are a world superpower and their environmental record is terrible.

I don't think that justifies everyone else just giving up, though. Now is the time for leading by example.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2021, 9:10 pm

I'm on Team Greta. I'm on her side and I always will be. She'll sweeten up with age.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2021, 10:08 pm

cyberdad wrote:
I often hear the best outcome for an advocate is to be put out of work.

Now there's a point.
I know of several disability and several human rights activists who would love to have to find another way to make a living.
But for the time being this world needs them to do that.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2021, 10:10 pm

Redd_Kross wrote:
Having said that, by Christ she's annoying.

But would her existence even be noticed if she was a sweet melody harmonizing with the background?

Aprilviolets
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2021, 5:10 am

cyberdad wrote:
She's still very very young. Remember she was a young teen when she took on world leaders.

Yes and as she matures she might just make people listen.
I remember when people laughed about the hole in the ozone layer and then we found out it was true.
the CFCs were removed from fly sprays.
I also think Deforestation is causing climate change, trees are the lungs of the earth.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2021, 4:32 pm

Perhaps of related interest?