Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2021, 8:12 am

Quote:
Britain will move to ban conversion therapy and provide more support to those in the LGBT community who have undergone the treatment, as part of its post-pandemic government agenda.

Prime Minister Boris Johnson's government said measures would be brought forward to prevent these "abhorrent practices which can cause mental and physical harm", starting with a consultation on how best to protect people and how to eliminate coercive practices.

https://www.reuters.com/world/uk/uk-ban ... 021-05-11/

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2021, 8:18 am

One would have thought that this was banned 30-40 years ago....but good on them!

cbd
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 May 2021, 8:44 am

im neither for or against . but ..

as suggested , it can cause many affects .. there's one case of a teenager going through full physical transformation to then do a U Turn .

There should be a solid sytem i place to do full screening and knoweldge for people considerring operation .

i'm going to use tattoos as an example . People get full sleeves over a duration . then decide they dont like these tattoos anymore and go the complete black out route .. to then be recoverred i white and lighter inks over the top of that . to me it comes across as layerring ontop of the source .

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2021, 9:54 am

cbd wrote:

as suggested , it can cause many affects .. there's one case of a teenager going through full physical transformation to then do a U Turn .

There should be a solid sytem i place to do full screening and knoweldge for people considerring operation .

i'm going to use tattoos as an example . People get full sleeves over a duration . then decide they dont like these tattoos anymore and go the complete black out route .. to then be recoverred i white and lighter inks over the top of that . to me it comes across as layerring ontop of the source .

I believe you're referring to trans people medically transitioning, which is a separate topic. Conversion therapy refers to practices that attempt to change a person's sexual orientation, aka turning a person who is not straight into a straight person. Such practices do not work and frequently have a negative effect on mental health.

With regards to trans people transitioning, there is a system in place in the UK. It's actually a fairly slow process that takes years. Talk therapy typically starts around age sixteen, then once the person turns eighteen they are put on a waiting list for hormones which can last several years, but if you're lucky then you'd be looking at waiting two to four years before starting treatment. There are people who regret transition, but there are measures in place to discourage them and they would need to sit through a significant amount of therapy before being considered for the waiting list for hormone treatment.

cbd
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 May 2021, 11:45 am

Lost_dragon wrote:
cbd wrote:

I believe you're referring to trans people medically transitioning, which is a separate topic. Conversion therapy refers to practices that attempt to change a person's sexual orientation, aka turning a person who is not straight into a straight person. Such practices do not work and frequently have a negative effect on mental health.

With regards to trans people transitioning, there is a system in place in the UK. It's actually a fairly slow process that takes years. Talk therapy typically starts around age sixteen, then once the person turns eighteen they are put on a waiting list for hormones which can last several years, but if you're lucky then you'd be looking at waiting two to four years before starting treatment. There are people who regret transition, but there are measures in place to discourage them and they would need to sit through a significant amount of therapy before being considered for the waiting list for hormone treatment.

Thanks for differentiating the terms 8) . i don't think anybody should be made to transition their preference . as far as i can tell it is ineffective and counter intuitive for the individual involved

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2021, 8:59 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
One would have thought that this was banned 30-40 years ago....but good on them!

On a somewhat related note, 33 years ago is when section 28 was passed in British law. This was a law that prohibited what was referred to as "the promotion of homosexuality". The act stated that "a local authority shall not intentionally promote homosexuality or publish material with the intention of promoting homosexuality" or "promote the teaching in any maintained (state) school of the acceptability of homosexuality as a pretended family relationship". It was replead in 2000 in Scotland, and 2003 in England and Wales.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcthree/article/ ... 863c0b3f30

We've certainly come a long way.

NaturalEntity
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2021, 3:41 pm

Lost_dragon wrote:
Quote:
Britain will move to ban conversion therapy and provide more support to those in the LGBT community who have undergone the treatment, as part of its post-pandemic government agenda.

Prime Minister Boris Johnson's government said measures would be brought forward to prevent these "abhorrent practices which can cause mental and physical harm", starting with a consultation on how best to protect people and how to eliminate coercive practices.

https://www.reuters.com/world/uk/uk-ban ... 021-05-11/

About damn time!

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2021, 10:29 pm

I'm confused why religious institutions in the UK and Australia are permitted to perpetuate archaic ideas of gender. Conversion therapy is only the tip of the iceberg. Religious schools in Australia are permitted to sack gay teachers and not provide any form of support for trans/gay students. There's ample evidence here in Melbourne of openly gay students being encouraged to leave school.

Perhaps it has something to do with wealthy and religious politicians sending their own children to religious schools throwing their lot with parent's groups?

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2021, 4:09 am

cyberdad wrote:
I'm confused why religious institutions in the UK and Australia are permitted to perpetuate archaic ideas of gender. Conversion therapy is only the tip of the iceberg. Religious schools in Australia are permitted to sack gay teachers and not provide any form of support for trans/gay students. There's ample evidence here in Melbourne of openly gay students being encouraged to leave school.

Perhaps it has something to do with wealthy and religious politicians sending their own children to religious schools throwing their lot with parent's groups?

That's a tricky subject. A lot of western nations have the notion that if the government keeps out of the church the church will keep it's nose out of the government. I guess it's related to secularism but it causes the government to turn a blind to the behaviour like that on an all to common basis.

Luckily the head masters of schools who behave like that can be named and shamed but it;s not done often enough.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2021, 4:16 am

Nades wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

That's a tricky subject. A lot of western nations have the notion that if the government keeps out of the church the church will keep it's nose out of the government. I guess it's related to secularism but it causes the government to turn a blind to the behaviour like that on an all to common basis.

Luckily the head masters of schools who behave like that can be named and shamed but it;s not done often enough.

The best elite schools tend to be christian denominational. This is historic.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2021, 4:37 am

cyberdad wrote:
Nades wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

Yip that's usually the case and I always wonder why. Perhaps they get a disproportional amount of funding or something.

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2021, 5:30 am

cyberdad wrote:

A lot of it seems to be regional.

Personally, I was taught an abstinence-only except in a heterosexual marriage to conceive a child, type of sex ed. Complete with a series of cards about not sleeping around. When a student asked about gay relationships, he was mocked and gay relationships were conveyed as laughable. I was tempted to walk out since it was an uncomfortable lesson to sit through. Further, this secondary school was not officially a religious school but it did seem to favour Christianity. I remember being handed a Bible along with everyone else after a speech about Christianity and a few students protested by destroying them because they disliked that it was being imposed on us. Then we had to have a lesson on why people shouldn't destroy religious text.

Whereas, I have a friend who went to school in another part of the country and he grew up with "It's OK to be gay" posters around him and an extensive sex ed which included LGBT subjects. Same country, very different experiences.

cyberdad wrote:

I've heard this, but I went to a Christian primary school and it was one of the worst experiences of my life. A significant amount of time the school was left unattended, and I remember when my parents found out they freaked out and I was confused because I had assumed that was normal. It was elite in the fact it had a nice well-paid for building, but it was quite neglectful in behaviour. Unfortunately, the parents of one of my bullies was helping to fund the school, so that case was conveniently tucked away and ignored.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2021, 4:39 pm

Lost_dragon wrote:
Personally, I was taught an abstinence-only except in a heterosexual marriage to conceive a child, type of sex ed. Complete with a series of cards about not sleeping around. When a student asked about gay relationships, he was mocked and gay relationships were conveyed as laughable. I was tempted to walk out since it was an uncomfortable lesson to sit through. Further, this secondary school was not officially a religious school but it did seem to favour Christianity. I remember being handed a Bible along with everyone else after a speech about Christianity and a few students protested by destroying them because they disliked that it was being imposed on us. Then we had to have a lesson on why people shouldn't destroy religious text.

Yes my daughter goes to a public school and they have religious study but Sex ed has become optional and we have opted she not take it (we had the bird/bees talk ourselves as I don't want the school planting ideas about contraception/condoms into her head). My understanding of the curriculum is to describe binary gender and developmental change. I actually don't think the Australian government has changed their sex ed curriculum for many years.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2021, 12:57 am

Yay for Britain!! !

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2021, 2:15 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
Yay for Britain!! !

That's the spirit!