Anti-Trump Republicans threaten third party

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2021, 7:39 pm

Reuters

Quote:
Over 100 former Republican officials will sign a letter on Thursday declaring that if the Republican Party does not break with former President Donald Trump and change course, they will back the creation of a third party.

The letter, headlined: "A Call For American Renewal," is an exploratory move toward forming a breakaway party, two of its organizers said. The group is dismayed by what it says is a modern Republican Party driven by its allegiance to Trump, who continues to falsely claim the 2020 election was stolen from him.

"The Republican Party is broken. It's time for a resistance of the 'rationals' against the 'radicals,'" said Miles Taylor, one of the organizers. Taylor, while serving in the Trump White House, wrote an anonymous opinion piece in the New York Times in 2018 headlined: "I Am Part of the Resistance Inside the Trump Administration."

House Republicans are expected on Wednesday to oust Representative Liz Cheney from her No. 3 party leadership position within the chamber, because of her refusal to embrace Trump's election claims and her move to back Trump's second impeachment after the Capitol riot.

The letter signatories, who include former ambassadors, governors, congressional members and Cabinet secretaries, want the Republican Party to return to "principled" leadership and reject division and conspiracy theories, or face a new party dedicated to fighting for Republicans such as Cheney and against fearmongering and lies.

Backers of the reform group include former Republican Governors Tom Ridge, Christine Todd Whitman, George W. Bush-era Transportation Secretary Mary Peters and former House members Charlie Dent, Barbara Comstock, Reid Ribble and Mickey Edwards.

They may face an uphill battle in getting any current Republican officeholders to sign on - including Cheney herself, who in February rejected the idea of a third party, saying it would empower Democrats.

A spokesman for Trump, Jason Miller, said: “These losers left the Republican Party when they voted for Joe Biden."

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2021, 8:11 pm

I would consider backing this party.

Maybe it’s the nostalgia for the Bush and Clinton years talking, but this seems like a good idea. We could have a true multiparty democracy.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

old_comedywriter
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2021, 8:15 pm

Anti-Trump Republicans are already a third party. All they need is a name. I suggest "Republicans." Trump supporters can be something else. I suggest "as*holes."

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2021, 9:43 am

Sure ... form a third (fourth, fifth, sixth, whatever) party ... siphon off even more votes from the right-wing Repugnicans ... then listen to the GOP whine about losing yet another honest election!

:lol:

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2021, 10:29 am

Its a good idea who's time has come.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2021, 10:42 am

Mr Reynholm wrote:
Its a good idea who's time has come.

I'd like to think that. Unfortunately, Democrats and Republicans will continue to use their power to keep third-party, independent, and anti-establisment candidates out of public view.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2021, 3:59 pm

Although I would personally not lose much sleep if the GOP tore itself to bloody shreds through bare-knuckles omnicidal infighting...

... it would have been more principled if these people had taken this stand back in July 2016 when Trump won the GOP nomination... and not now when they basically have nothing to lose...

Red Raid
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 May 2021, 5:26 am

As sweet as it sounds, not a good idea. It probably won't go anywhere and if anything it takes away votes from the Republican Party and thus gives the democrats a higher chance of winning.

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2021, 6:19 am

They're not really gonna do it.

If my darkness or eccentricness offends you, I don't really care.

I will not apologize for being me.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2021, 8:40 am

A third (major) party would make elections more interesting :)

roronoa79
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2021, 2:04 pm

Music to my ears. It probably won't get off the ground though, sadly.

Δυνατὰ δὲ οἱ προύχοντες πράσσουσι καὶ οἱ ἀσθενεῖς ξυγχωροῦσιν.
Those with power do what their power permits, and the weak can only acquiesce.

- Thucydides

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2021, 2:48 pm

Fnord wrote:
Sure ... form a third (fourth, fifth, sixth, whatever) party ... siphon off even more votes from the right-wing Repugnicans ... then listen to the GOP whine about losing yet another honest election!

:lol:

I don't know that any actual Conservative believes that the election was stolen. It is Trumps very radical and non-Conservative part of the GOP that believes such crap.

Trump is destroying the Republican Party. It is so far off the tracks that I don't know if it will ever recover. He has driven it from being mostly Conservative to being a bunch of anti-Conservative radical rabble rousers who are only interested in power.