Anyone else sometimes get confused by simple tasks?

Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

snackamigo
Butterfly
Butterfly

15 May 2021, 11:14 am

angelofdarkness wrote:
Does anyone else on thr spectrum, get confused sometimes when someone asks you to do a simple task" if you've never done it before? I normally need walked through it when it happens to me, the first time oe two. It leads to people looking at me weird if they don't give me instructions and then I try to do things like id expect them to work

yes. but usually I can't get that kind of help and just get insulted so I get frustrated and leave. yes I did lose a job this way and haven't tried for another one.

and yet, in my statistics textbook, it lays everything out step by step which makes me extremely confused. I just want to see the entire formula.

explaining how to do things really is an art and most people suck at it.

anyway yes I am basically always confused with "simple tasks" and Google how to do most things

vividgroovy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 May 2021, 10:59 pm

Here's one from today. I'm on Photoshop, drawing what is supposed to be a piece of cute, simple Disneyland vehicle fanart. The vehicle has a door on one side and I realized I put the door on the wrong side. So I flipped the canvas horizontally, then looked at the reference photo again and it still looked like the door was on the wrong side. Thinking I must have been right to begin with, I flipped it back and it was still on the wrong side! I was extremely confused and frustrated for several minutes, until I finally realized that when I flipped the canvas, I flipped the layers with the reference pictures too! :D

AngryJackal97
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

15 May 2021, 11:15 pm

I can’t tell you how many times I’ve been given a simple task and would over think the process of how to do it. When that happens, sometimes people would look at me like I’m crazy and I would think “What are they looking?!?!”. Yet when given something that people tell me is hard, I’d do it and afterwards find out it wasn’t that hard.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2021, 11:59 pm

One time, I found a friend poring over my large collection of hardware catalogs. He was making a tricky piece of furniture, and in two hours had not found anything to do what he needed. "How about a gate hook and eye?" I asked, and that was it.
Another time, I went to help fix up an old log cabin. A kitchen counter had been salvaged for it, but not hooked up. The lady of the house warned me very sternly to not get any water in the sink, because it had to be sponged out. Dishes were done in shallow tubs on the counter top. I put up with this for about a day, and then heard a shriek as she found me with a sink full of suds. I calmly pulled the stopper, and opened the cabinet to reveal a bucket filling up.
However, I once spent about 3 years knowing that I was close to an elegant design solution before seeing that I needed a simple over-center latch that I could make as one piece, replacing about a dozen parts.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2021, 1:47 am

I struggle with practical/technical tasks.If I have clear and precise written instructions I can refer and re-refer to that can help a bit. My stepdaughter does a good number of such tasks for me.
Without such help I'd struggle to maintain an acceptable level of independence.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2021, 10:00 am

my audio restoration tasks sometimes have me thinking in mad circles. the algorithmic nature of the processing sometimes leads me down cul-de-sacs of the mind.

ClownyClownClown

16 May 2021, 12:06 pm

Yeah it’s super frustrating. This is why working alone or semi-alone is helpful for me. I can go at my own pace without being crippled by performance anxiety.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2021, 10:39 pm

I often skimp on headings for my notes, but I didn't think I was confused this time until I decided to add some of last year's data to my current chart of Covid cases around here. I found that my lists of data seem to have no relation to either the graphs I drew, or to the website's memory of what they were. All three versions do fine for illustrating that by contrast, we had almost nothing to worry about a year ago, but we still didn't worry enough.