Remember That This Is Just A Forum. Real Life Is Out There..

Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2021, 7:18 pm

Honestly I only come here because I am bored. I don't really talk about myself here anymore and I am more into politics and I mostly read things here.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2021, 2:55 pm

Funny - I avoid the current events and politics stuff like the plague - it is mostly just bullying with words (to me). I looked up "woke" when I saw in in an article on higher ed (my wife works in higher ed at a college). It seems like people are buying into the political party misdirection and mud slinging and really believe the polarization nonsense. Having learned most social skills from books on non-verbals and psychology it all seems so obviously make-believe to me like stage-craft. I am often surprised how much people seem to take as real. Maybe it is just me. Choosing up sides, picking an in-crowd and blaming and everything bad real or imagined on the out-crowd - and then only being to see that as a flaw when someone in the out-crowd does it (still being blind to the obvious symmetry). Someone once said "why to politicians use mudslinging in their campaigns? because it works." - [ Now someone who considers politicians to be his or her in-crowd will probably want to blast me. ] I just wish it will all go away but I don't think it will.

uncommondenominator
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2021, 3:26 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Indeed. Real offline life aint exactly the same as here.

For example: I NEVER hear the term "woke" ever spoken by anyone, or any race, or political creed, in real offline life.

But the Net is obsessed with either attacking, or defending, wokeness.

Good point. And I'm glad you mentioned both attacking AND defending. Some people can't go a minute without bringing up "wokeness" to complain or ramble about it. Even when "wokeness" has nothing to do with the topic, someone will wind a way to shoehorn it into the conversation.

Like, if there's a conversation about kittens, or music, or anything really, SOMEone will still bring up "wokeness" in some manner.

In fact, even in this very thread, about forums vs real life, someone found a way to make it about "wokeness", and how people feel the need to bring it up all the time.

REDACTED wrote:
Indeed. Real offline life aint exactly the same as here.

For example: I NEVER hear the term "woke" ever spoken by anyone, or any race, or political creed, in real offline life.

But the Net is obsessed with either attacking, or defending, wokeness.

I'd say you hit the nail on the head. Someone on the internet always seems to need to bring up "wokeness" out of nowhere.

/irony

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2021, 4:06 pm

Usually the political discussions here are mostly about American politics, which usually end up in arguments over who supports Trump and who doesn't, even though he isn't even president any more. As a non-American person, I don't give two s**ts about American politics especially anything to do with Trump, so I stay out of it.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2021, 7:00 am

Trump, to the uttermost satisfaction of Trump, is someone to watch out for.

At least Boris Johnson got on the right COVID bandwagon after he, himself, got COVID.