son got ask for id 1 day before his 16 th birthday

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Caz72
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2021, 12:10 pm

yesterday my son went to buy a lottery ticket that you have to be 16 for in this country to buy but he give id and got turned down - 1 day before he turned 16 (he is 16 today)

has this ever happened to anyone else the day before your legally allowed to buy something ?

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2021, 12:54 pm

Not that way around, but more that I looked a lot younger then I was. I once got reported for not being in school when I was 24, and I did not even go to the school that I was reported as not being in. I don't know what the poor headmaster of that school must have done as he looked through lists and names of his pupils. Did some poor innocent kid get the blame? Who knows!

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2021, 12:56 pm

Not to me.  I always waited until it was legal for me to do so -- driving, buying beer or lottery tickets, et cetera.

Why did your son not wait until the next day?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2021, 1:11 pm

Lol this reminds me of when I sometimes get asked for my ID when buying an adult horror movie yet I'd never get away with getting a reduced under-18's fare on the train. I mean, do I look like an adult or don't I?! :lol:

Caz72
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2021, 1:19 pm

Fnord wrote:
Not to me.  I always waited until it was legal for me to do so -- driving, buying beer or lottery tickets, et cetera.

cos we were in the shop together at the time and he wanted to buy himself a lottery ticket today i said i wasnt sure if they would let him or not but he done it anyway and they didnt let him even tho he was only one day off 16

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

12 May 2021, 1:22 pm

Caz72 wrote:
Fnord wrote:

cos we were in the shop together at the time and he wanted to buy himself a lottery ticket today i said i wasnt sure if they would let him or not but he done it anyway and they didnt let him even tho he was only one day off 16

Here, the police does provocations like that sometimes. The business owner has too much to lose.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Blue_Star
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 May 2021, 2:50 pm

Here, one is carded for everything. Stores are very strict about it because the penalties can be high if they're caught. They card for booze, cigarettes, lottery tix, some medicines, some lighters, etc. I don't think I've ever not been carded, unless I'm a regular they see often enough to remember (for ex: pharmacist techs). Many point-of-sale terminals won't let check out complete until the customer's birthdate is entered off their id with things like alcohol.

Caz72 wrote:
yesterday my son went to buy a lottery ticket that you have to be 16 for in this country to buy but he give id and got turned down - 1 day before he turned 16 (he is 16 today)

has this ever happened to anyone else the day before your legally allowed to buy something ?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2021, 3:03 pm

Caz72 wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Not to me.  I always waited until it was legal for me to do so -- driving, buying beer or lottery tickets, et cetera.  Why did your son not wait until the next day?
That makes sense.

When he did finally buy a ticket, did it win anything?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

amykitten
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 May 2021, 3:19 pm

I think it might be due to the law change from 16 to 18 so he now needs to wait another two years. It was only last month it changed to be fair.

Caz72
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2021, 7:10 pm

amykitten wrote:
I think it might be due to the law change from 16 to 18 so he now needs to wait another two years. It was only last month it changed to be fair.

no cos the cashier told him he had to be 16 to buy the lottery ticket and when he showed his id she said no

amykitten
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 May 2021, 7:40 pm

Caz72 wrote:
amykitten wrote:

no cos the cashier told him he had to be 16 to buy the lottery ticket and when he showed his id she said no

She would be wrong also and probably not aware of the change also. If he had brought a ticket and won big money the ticket would be nullified and he wouldn’t be able to claim the prize. You can look this up on the lottery website or online as it was a pretty big thing. It's to help stop gambling addictions :roll:

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

13 May 2021, 1:13 am

Joe90 wrote:
Lol this reminds me of when I sometimes get asked for my ID when buying an adult horror movie yet I'd never get away with getting a reduced under-18's fare on the train. I mean, do I look like an adult or don't I?! :lol:
Here in the US different places follow different policies. When I worked at WalMart I had to watch some vids on computer & then take a quiz about them to show that I learned & one of the things was about the sale of alcohol & tobacco even though I could NEVER work a register. People had to look over a certain age to not be carded for alcohol & tobacco. I don't remember the ages but I am certain it was at least 30 for tobacco & at least 45 for alcohol. Some stores like RiteAid have signs at the register saying that they will card everyone. Some places enter the person's birthday into the computer as standard protocol when anybody buys that stuff. Sometimes they just ask for their bDay instead of their ID, they probably know that the person is over the legal age like they're a regular customer or they're a bit older. I've actually been carded before for buying cough syrup at certain places when I was over 30 but I could buy beer at another place dressed the same way & not be carded. Also here in the US some states require people to be over 21 for tobacco instead of 18 which is the federal age. Some places & states require people to be over 21 for all gun sales even though the federal age for certain guns(like shotguns & rifles) is 18. I also think some states require people to be 21 for gambling. VERY CONFUSING isn't it :?

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2021, 1:56 am

My youngest brother used to buy alcohol and stuff as a minor because cashiers thought he was in his early twenties. He had a beard and mustache and he even shaved but you could still tell he had facial hair. Now he gets carded like crazy in his early 30's. But that was here in Oregon. In Montana, he wasn't carded.

Funny story, my brother was 13 and at Safeway with our mom and I was back at the condo. He put the alcohol on the counter for checkout and it was my parents beer and he was helping her unload the cart. My mom asked the cashier why didn't she asked her son for ID, he is 13. She thought he was 21. If her reason was she assumed it was her beer and he was just helping her unload the cart, my mom might not have scolded her about how she could lose her job for selling alcohol to a minor if he had been there himself.

Really, I think getting carded is great, it means you look good for your age and you can't really tell between a late teen and a young adult.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2021, 2:02 am

magz wrote:
Caz72 wrote:
Fnord wrote:

Here, the police does provocations like that sometimes. The business owner has too much to lose.

Do you mean like stiffing?

One of them goes in to buy beer or something and if you don't card them, they send an actual minor to buy beer and then they arrest you for selling to a minor and the company has a fine to pay.

And this is why places have policies like "if you look under 30, you will be asked for ID when buying alcohol and tobacco products." I hear some places it's if you look under 40, they will card you. 8O

I mean are minors putting all the effort to look like 30 something year olds lol by putting on mature make up and wearing older looking clothes and hope the cashier would be too stupid to card them?

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

13 May 2021, 3:16 am

League_Girl wrote:
magz wrote:
Caz72 wrote:
Fnord wrote:

Do you mean like stiffing?

One of them goes in to buy beer or something and if you don't card them, they send an actual minor to buy beer and then they arrest you for selling to a minor and the company has a fine to pay.
Yes, that's what they do, or at least that's what business owners fear could happen here.

League_Girl wrote:
And this is why places have policies like "if you look under 30, you will be asked for ID when buying alcohol and tobacco products." I hear some places it's if you look under 40, they will card you. 8O

I mean are minors putting all the effort to look like 30 something year olds lol by putting on mature make up and wearing older looking clothes and hope the cashier would be too stupid to card them?
Here, they sometimes hire a junkie adult to help them in exchange for a bottle for himself.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2021, 3:54 am

Normally if you're buying a lottery ticket on Tuesday you'll know if you won by Wednesday, so technically if he did win he'd be 16 by then.

I remember when I was 25 I went to buy an R-rated movie but they wouldn't sell it to me because I didn't have any ID on me. So I had to get my 40+-year-old boyfriend to buy it for me. I said to the cashier, "I'll go and get my boyfriend", and so I didn't know if the cashier thought he was some sort of paedophile or if he thought he was my dad but was making out to be my boyfriend. But it was pretty embarrassing.