Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Technic1
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 May 2021, 3:20 am

Has anyone ever looked into logic to see how smart many of us are?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logic

I say we are many geniuses?!?

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2021, 4:05 am

I didn't even understand most of the words. :(

I'm better at common sense than I am at logic. When I was doing e-training for work the other day I found the common sense questions easy but I failed the more logical questions.

The common sense questions were like "what would the first thing you would do if you discover a fire in the workplace?" - the correct answer was "raise the alarm", which I knew. The logic questions usually involved math or science of some sort, which always threw me. So I had to note down the logical answers in order to remember them when I done the test.

So, no, I'm not very logical at all.

Technic1
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 May 2021, 4:56 am

I thought logic would be,

Get out.
Get to fire assembly point
(Where there should be an alarm...)
Raise alarm

And what’s the point of fire extinguishers?

Math is a different field. Logical, but so is science...and there are no science questions.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2021, 5:14 am

The use of logic can look like genius, but that's because it is rare, not because it takes a high IQ. It is a way of thinking that facilitates progress, just like arranging your kitchen in a "logical" way makes it easier to cook. For many years, I expected other people to notice the corollaries of what they were saying, but they were generally too distracted.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2021, 5:23 am

What's the use of logic without sufficient data?
Or worse, unable to obtain or interpret said data on the right context in spite of having a lot of data.

What's the use of logic, if one's scope of awareness and knowledge is too small, too narrow, or just myopic?
Unable to draw the bigger picture, because of one's cognitive limits?

What's the use of logic, if someone cannot retrieve the data even having it?

I know logic.
But I also know it's limits.
Along with my own, when relying on it.

And the fact not all people are built for it. Nor are nurtured in that direction.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2021, 5:57 am

Technic1 wrote:
I thought logic would be,

Get out.
Get to fire assembly point
(Where there should be an alarm...)
Raise alarm

And what’s the point of fire extinguishers?

Math is a different field. Logical, but so is science...and there are no science questions.

Just as I thought I was beginning to understand the differences between logic and common sense, now I don't. :scratch:

The alarm switch is not at the assembly point, there are several located around the workplace, so the obvious thing to do first is to raise the alarm to get everyone alert, and if the fire is small enough you can tackle it with the fire extinguisher but it's still important to get everyone else out of the building, and if the fire is too aggressive to tackle yourself or there is too much smoke that could cause health problems then you must get out and call the fire brigade.
But the question is what is the FIRST thing to do the minute YOU discover a fire? If other people aren't around the area where the fire is then how would they know to get to the assembly point without an alarm?

Technic1
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 May 2021, 6:20 am

Edna3362

Data and wisdom are not logic....you can also be interested in something as small as a pen, and sell them. You could invent a pen that works underwater or a pen for NASA.

Input, data is where learning comes in, like an interest you are logical about...

Joe90

You are right I’m just laughing at overthinking the test.
It depends on the size of fire, the area, whether other people have seen it.
If other people wrote to ‘sound the alarm’ I’m getting out...fast.

Last edited by Technic1 on 13 May 2021, 6:27 am, edited 3 times in total.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2021, 6:23 am

At my dad's office, a live cigarette butt had gotten into a waste paper basket and started a fire. Someone quickly opened a binder and used it to cover the basket, snuffing the flames. Then a new guy came in, and asked why he smelled smoke. Dad explained, adding "It happens all the time."
This did not seem to reassure the visitor at all, and he kept asking more questions about it. Then he introduced himself as the Fire Inspector.

"We were learning what to think instead of how."
- "Think For Yourself" by Jon Sirkis

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2021, 6:36 am

Technic1 wrote:
Edna3362

Data and wisdom are not logic....you can also be interested in something as small as a pen, and sell them. You could invent a pen that works underwater or a pen for NASA.

Input, data is where learning comes in, like an interest you are logical about...

I'm not talking about wisdom or anything that resembles as common sense.
Nor data itself, but the means of accessing, manipulating and using said data.

I'm talking about upper limitations of cognition and limited thinking.

Technic1
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 May 2021, 4:29 am

Edna3362 wrote:
Technic1 wrote:
Edna3362

But would you agree to knowing logic?

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2021, 6:09 am

Technic1 wrote:
Edna3362 wrote:
Technic1 wrote:
Edna3362

But would you agree to knowing logic?

I do.

Except to be great and actually succeed at it, it had certain prerequisites behind each areas.

Logic, in my point of view, is more of a vital ingredient of intellect, and/or mastery as a tool as an expression or outcome of intelligence.

I'm not the most logical person anyone can meet.
And not because I want to.

Because there are times that I cannot always rely on mine, nor should anyone follow it without risk or throw common sense out of the window.

As for the fire scenario...
The first thing I'd do is to look for the fire and go towards it. :lol:

That is not logical, nor it is wise and far from the act or common sense.

I mean, really, what's the reason for that? :twisted: I'm not a fire fighter or a professional nor am trained in such situation.
So what am I gonna do, stare at it?

The very first right thing I'd do is kill the idea.

For the first minute or half a second, I spent it wrestling with myself doing nothing.
By then, people are either already panicking, formulating a plan to get out or in action to mitigate the fire.

While I'm debating in my head whether I should choose one of the three or not.

Doesn't matter why. It is not logical. It is not wise. It is not practical nor safe.

Until someone decides to drag me to get out -- doesn't matter if this person is panicking or calm.
I had half the mind to ignore or fight this person for suggestion with whatever 'reasoning'.

The next right thing I'd do is resist myself.
But what if I chose not to? :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: Where is the logic in this story? Heck, where and what is the reasoning for that?
Other than I spent time restraining myself, while there's chaos in the background. And if I stop, the outcome might be worse.

It doesn't matter.
Because both logic and reasoning are not all the time reliable for me. Or at least that's what it says. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Last edited by Edna3362 on 14 May 2021, 6:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2021, 6:15 am

When I install a home fire extinguisher, I put it near the door. If you want to fight the fire, you start with a safe path to retreat.

Technic1
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 May 2021, 8:00 am

Dear_one wrote:
When I install a home fire extinguisher, I put it near the door. If you want to fight the fire, you start with a safe path to retreat.

If the fire is by the door can you still escape?

Logic is a huge field and I wonder how well trained in it we are?

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2021, 8:52 am

Technic1 wrote:
Dear_one wrote:

Through the window.
Use soaked blankets.
Etc.

But where's the rest of the account? :lol:
Are we assuming this is a detached, one-floored, one-person home with a single able-bodied untrained civilian dweller, without a backdoor, and the cause of fire isn't electrical?

Insufficient data. :P

Technic1
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 May 2021, 10:02 am

Edna3362 wrote:
Technic1 wrote:
Dear_one wrote:

Through the window.
Use soaked blankets.
Etc.

Are we assuming this is a detached, one-floored, one-person home with a single able-bodied untrained civilian dweller, without a backdoor, and the cause of fire isn't electrical?

That’s logic...have you ever read up on it? Some of it makes no sense and some of it is obvious?

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2021, 10:39 am

Technic1 wrote:
Edna3362 wrote:
Technic1 wrote:
Dear_one wrote:

Through the window.
Use soaked blankets.
Etc.

That’s logic...have you ever read up on it? Some of it makes no sense and some of it is obvious?

Based on the wiki, yes.

Philosophical is good for debates in the net. :P Or if you're a judge or someone in a jury. Or a preacher. Or just someone who likes to mindscrew people off.

Informal logic is actually what everyone goes and uses on daily basis. Good for someone who don't do big words.

Formal logic is what most aspies are supposed to be good at.
This is where a lot of pattern recognition is involved.

Mathematical logic is the most 'literal' of all. Good for programming... Or gambling. :lol:

I may know and may see logic.
But I don't and sometimes can't do a lot of it.
Wikipedia wrote:
Completeness, consistency, decidability, and expressivity, are further fundamental concepts in logic.

I can't recall all my data to do completeness.
I'm not consistent even if I wish it.
I'm not decisive... Unless you count recklessness.
And my expressivity is limited. :P

Also soundness might as well look at word salad or some joke at any given moment. Cause why not? :twisted:

Let's see...

Logical forms are fun.
But I hate semantics because I suck at verbal related domains. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Interferences are more fun to watch.

And nothing about these opinions are rational. Cause I'm high on sugar or something. :P
The sentences above this sentence is illogical. Cause it might be false. And am is bored.