Page 2 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2021, 9:50 pm

A fire in the workplace? True to form, I'd just feel that my reaction would depend on all kinds of parameters they didn't mention. And the answer that did me the most good on a workplace training questionnaire might not be the same thing as a pathologically honest answer at all. I expect there's a difference between following the regulations and doing the logical thing.

As for logic itself, I looked at that web page and it's way too nerdy for me to fathom, though I think myself quite good at clear thinking and using reason to figure things out. It looks very impressive but I wonder if everything there is particularly useful? I did try to read a book about logic when I was young, in the hope of fixing my inability to do my schoolwork properly, but it wasn't helpful. I thought it would help me to think more clearly, but it just demoralised me because I couldn't follow it. I can't remember whether it was too hard or just too boring for me to stay focussed on it. I got the bit about "all fish are animals, all men are animals, therefore all men are fish" being fallacious, but after that it was all a blur.

There's probably a "lay meaning" to the words logic and logical that isn't quite the same as that web page. Somewhere between formal logic and that stuff people do that passes itself off as intelligent communication is my comfort zone. I studied science and held down a science job for decades, but never saw anything about formal logic. We were able to deduce all we needed to deduce without it. So anybody who has the skills to understand the web page is perhaps some kind of genius, but I don't know that they would be a useful genius.

I like to read about logical fallacies, but not the pure theory, only the examples, which seem to give me the gist of the theory without having to bother with the more obscure stuff.