Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2021, 12:17 pm

Looking for advise finding a professional Tutor for Senior Biology Major

Any advise for how to find a GOOD tutor for very very hard 300 and 400
level college classes for a Bio Major with ADHD and ASD?

DS21 needs a 2.0 GPA to graduate and the classes keep getting harder
and his grades keep going lower. IQ is NOT the problem. EF, lack of
focus and good study skills / people skills - and hyperfocusing on the
internet / adventures novels when he should be studying to try and
fight "overwhelm" and anxiety seems to be the root cause. And . . .
Biology is really really hard.

timf
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2021, 6:13 am

It sounds like you are trying to find someone who can drag him across the finish line since he is so close.

If you can identify his most difficult class, it may be possible to find one of the teaching assistants for that class and see if there is an interest in providing additional instruction for a fee. If not they may be able to recommend someone else.

The key may be your son's own motivation. You may be able to incentivize that as well if there is something particular that he desires.

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2021, 11:05 am

Fenn - Have you asked the Biology department about a qualified tutor? My chemistry department has senior students on hand to help tutor other students. They get paid by the department to do this. It may not work at the highest level classes unless there happens to be graduate students on staff.

You might want to check the internet for tutors also, but those will cost you. There are usually fresh graduates that need a quick job before they can land their real job, so you might find one of those tutors. We often have postings of local graduates wanting to do tutoring in their subject. These are found on the post boards in the hallways. They typically charge $20-25/hour. It may be worth it to get him to finish with a degree.

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2021, 12:30 pm

Thanks, QC,
We are going back and forth today with the Registrar and trying to figure out what is actually required to graduate. Once a few weeks ago the Registrar said he needed at least one molecular biology (he could pick from 3) for the major, today they said it is not required. He is going to follow up with his academic advisor. He aced the SAT - as in missed only 4 points, but the EF (executive function) challenges of college work are resulting in frequent overwhelm. His people skills and nonverbal language skills are also a challenge in finding peer support. Add some anxiety and sleeplessness nights and the curve points down, then snowballs.
He was able to get his nose up at the end of last semester but there was still plenty of turbulence.

When he was in High School I could tutor him in most of his sciences, but between my electronic and computer knowledge from my BS and my extra physics classes I took to fill out my electives and avoid writing I just don't know enough about the biological sciences or molecular biology. Besides his "i want to do this myself" is at a level where he will NOT reach out to me.

His college is mostly focused on liberal arts so I don't think they have any Grad students in the hard sciences. The "tutoring center" at the college has been coming up empty on the 300 and 400 level classes. You give me a good idea - I could contact some local colleges with good Bio Grad School departments and perhaps they will have some contacts. At this point I would be willing to pay - if it could keep me from paying for extra semesters it would be worth it.

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2021, 9:33 am

You might look to one of the larger universities in your state to find the tutor. It would likely be your best bet to find one in the higher level biology courses. I wish I could help further with personal expertise in that area, but I was only required to take general biology in my college path. My program was math and physics heavy instead. I do want to mention Khan Academy online might also help him get through the last hurdle. Good luck!

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2021, 3:20 pm

Anyone ever heard of
https://www.picmonic.com/
?

Mentioned here:

https://www.amazon.com/First-USMLE-Step ... 5356&psc=1