disabled at greater risk of going hungry during pandemic

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2021, 5:26 pm

Re: “ In the early stages of the pandemic, many Americans endured long lines and stocked up on groceries to avoid repeat trips to the stores. But these inconveniences – as well as going from store to store in search of scarce goods – can be physically and emotionally grueling for people with limited mobility or stability, or who are easily exhausted. And although many supermarkets created special shopping hours for elderly and disabled customers, getting there at specific times required people to either be able to drive or navigate the scheduling uncertainties of public transportation. “

--> and/or those shopping hours were something like 6am to 7am which could mean getting up at 3 or 4am in order to have enough time to get ready to go out. ASSUMING you had a way to get there at that time.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/health/why ... e-pandemic

(yes, I said that in bold based on personal experience)

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2021, 5:43 pm

And now a reply to where I shared this on Tumblr,

Quote:
"And during times of product “shortages”, Kroger/Fred Meyers limited a lot of items to “in store shoppers only”. This meant that I couldn’t get items that were available, because I was using their app and having groceries delivered. Even though my “shopper” from Instacart was in the store, they were not allowed to buy certain items for me, including foods, toilet paper, and hand sanitizer. Even though they had it. How is this not discrimination against people who can’t leave their houses? Or immunocompromised people? Or disabled people who were quarantining because of conditions that made them more vulnerable?"

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2021, 5:57 pm

kitesandtrainsandcats wrote:
And now a reply to where I shared this on Tumblr,
Quote:
"And during times of product “shortages”, Kroger/Fred Meyers limited a lot of items to “in store shoppers only”. This meant that I couldn’t get items that were available, because I was using their app and having groceries delivered. Even though my “shopper” from Instacart was in the store, they were not allowed to buy certain items for me, including foods, toilet paper, and hand sanitizer. Even though they had it. How is this not discrimination against people who can’t leave their houses? Or immunocompromised people? Or disabled people who were quarantining because of conditions that made them more vulnerable?"

Agreed. We still have product shortages here and we're still in full lockdown. I rely on delivery / curbside, especially because my daughter is very high risk immunocompromised. I can't take chances shopping and have only been inside a food market maybe three times in the last year. Likewise my mother is in her 80s living alone with cancer and not allowed to drive. I have to shop online for her as well because she doesn't use computers. At times we've had to wait a full month to get a delivery slot for basics like milk, bread or detergent. Plus of course we have the added fees for delivery and curbside pickup, and disabled people aren't eligible for Covid stimulus money.

It's a lose-lose situation, and it reeks of discrimination.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2021, 7:26 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Plus of course we have the added fees for delivery and curbside pickup, and disabled people aren't eligible for Covid stimulus money. It's a lose-lose situation, and it reeks of discrimination.

Dang, sorry y'all are having to deal with that.
:(
Here in the USA, while we don't do everything right, people like me living on Social Security Disability, did get stimulus money.
And it sure did help since my SSD amount is about 17 US dollars a month below the poverty level for a household of 1 as set by Federal Department of Health and Human Services (HHS).